SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   What are you reading right now? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=94071)

nightdagger 11-29-06 10:18 PM

Battle Beneath the Waves by Robert C. Stern.

It has a collection of U-boat stories, a couple from WW1 but most from WWII.

Sailor Steve 12-08-06 03:03 PM

Well, I finally finished The Mammoth Book Of Eyewitness Naval Battles. It's quite poorly written, with a lot of typos and a lot of actual technical errors. The fun part is having all the eyewitness accounts collected in one place. The bad part is that there are probably so many more accounts he left out, either due to space (the book is already huge) or to bias, of which he does show quite a bit.

On the whole I recommend it, but also recommend that you save your money and try to find a copy at a library as I did. It's pretty good, but not a keeper.

Now back to some detective stories for a while.

Venatore 12-09-06 04:42 AM

"Hitler's U-Boat Fortresses"

I'm currently reading the book "Hitler's U-Boat Fortresses". It's written by "Randolf Bradham" who was a 20yr old Staff Sergeant & Squad Leader of the 3rd Squad, 3rd Platoon, Company E, 262nd Regiment, 66th Infantry Division. He fought in Brittany against the Germans that were contained in St. Nazaire & Lorient.

This is different to alot of other U-Boat books that I have read in the past, because this book focuses on Commando raids/bombardments/French underground movements/ and the desperate battle of the Germans to deny the allied forces the vital U-Boat bases.

An excellent book.

_Seth_ 12-09-06 07:11 AM

Currently: A Donald Duck pocket book :rotfl:, and "Ubåtkrig" (Uboatwar), by an Norwegian writer. BTW: @ Stabiz: You are a writer, arent you? When can we expect to read some of your work?

JSF 12-16-06 10:32 AM

Currently reading "Submarine" for the umteenth hundred time...I read this book for the first time while still in junior high. I saw a movie as a youth called "Operation Pacific" and eventually read this book and I became hooked on submarines for life.

blue3golf 12-16-06 11:58 PM

Just finished "Fortress Third Reich." Extremely well written, basically a chronological history of German field fortifications throughout WW2. Plenty of technical drawings, maps, tables, etc. Also some interesting observations on damage caused to bunkers by certain weapon systems.

bradclark1 12-17-06 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STEED
The Battle of Kursk
By Glantz

This has too be the best book on this battle for me, two thirds into it and enjoying it.

I have a few Glantz books and the problem with him is his writing style. Very dry. My eyes start glazing over after about 10 pages.

Subnuts 12-17-06 01:32 PM

Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy. It's interesting but not the masterpiece everyone describes it as. Then again, my standards are annoyingly high.

blue3golf 12-29-06 07:49 PM

Just finished Day Of Infamy by Walter Lord. I found it a great account of Pearl harbor and the events leading up to it. He went into great detail about every event and caught them from all different peoples angles. A good work of history and drama. Would read it again.

hocking 12-30-06 10:54 PM

Just finished Michael Gannon's "Operation Drumbeat" last week. Just started Clay Blair's "Hitler's U-Boat War: The Hunters, 1939-1942" this week (it was a Christmas Gift that I requested). Also still working on William Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich", but I had to take a break from that one for a little while since it is over 1200 pages long.

Sailor Steve 01-09-07 04:03 PM

Just read Moral Minority: Our Skeptical Founding Fathers, by Brooke Allen. It's a look at what the founders themselves wrote about the "Separation of Church and State" controversy.

Lots of fun, if you like that sort of thing.

And I do.

hellas1 01-10-07 08:41 PM

Reading, whoah!

Hi all, :|\\

Some time ago I bought the entire:
Conway's history of the ship series 23-25 volumes :rock: and
A number of books on submarines of different armies and eras. :rock:

and plan on buying more books on subbies. :rock:

Rhoads scholar and subby lover-hellas1 :rock:
"Avast there matie....." :arrgh!: "Step off my jock Mr. Christian..." :rock:

Who the hell WAS Mr. Christian? he he, Hell and Mr. Christian great sub name :rock:

Camaero 01-10-07 09:59 PM

I am currently reading "Half a Wing, Three Engines, and a Prayer" by Brian O'Neil. It is a story of a B17 crew from the 303rd. It is quite good so far. I have already bought my next book and I eagerly await to read it: "Submarine!" by Edward Beach. A true story about the author's experiences on the USS Trigger. Anyone know if it's good?

I would like to mention my favorite book of all time however. Nothing I have ever read has been more thrilling than V.M. Yeates "Winged Victory". I get a silly grin on my face whenever I think of some of the parts in that book. If anyone has any interest at all in WWI war flying, it is a must read.:rock:

ABBAFAN 01-23-07 02:30 PM

I am reading "falkland islanders at war"by some bloke.It describes what the islanders themselves did in the conflict.interesting.

Also "red and green life machine"by surgeon commander Rick Jolly who operated on maimed people during the war in a disused refrigeration plant under a couple of UXBs.

I recommend "hell and high water" by Mark Higgitt
about HMS Ardent.Facinating.

Jeffg 01-23-07 10:38 PM

I am reading BACALAO by J.T. McDaniel which is about a Gato fleet boat before and during WW2.This is a very good novel you can't put it down.This is a good primer for Silent Hunter 4.
JeffG