SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   MoBo - Electronic Maneuvering Board (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   Nice Work (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=177020)

Marko 11-12-10 06:43 AM

Nice Work

First of all let me say :"You did a damn good job with this program"

Secondly: Lately I have got the habit to use it in my plotting without jumping from the map to radar constantly. I write down the bearings and distances of the targets that i am following and do all the calculation in Mobo. When i am satisfied with the result i plot only the last position on the map and draw his course as a visual aid.

Now i think there is a problem with the vectors addition. When i get a contact at extreme range on the radar sometimes i stop and i plot from a stationary position. When i put all the data inside Mobo and i perform the vector addtion it appears that mobo doesn't add if your speed is 0. Now if my speed is zero knots and my course is different from 000° the vector addition should be performed because the course of the target it is still realtive to me. This is not a big deal because to get the target true course you have only to add to his relative course you heading. I haven't still checked the behaviour when you subtract vector and you are converting from true course and true speed to a relative to get the drm of the target and your speed is zero. Or maybe i am doing someting wrong, dunno still getting to know this program. Anyway very good job and thanks.

Obviously this scenario appear if you plot on mobo relative to me . If i convert the relative bearing to true bearing everything works fine.

Marko

XLjedi 11-30-10 09:09 PM

Thanks for the kind words... I was away on vacation last week.

It works right, if you add a zero length vector (speed zero vector) to another vector, you're adding zero to it. There should be no conversion in that case; it would be true motion.

But I think I see what you mean. You're moving along and plottting on radar the relative motion; then you stop and continue to plot the true motion.

If you're plotting true motion from a stationary position then what do you think you need to convert? It's the true motion.

Marko 12-03-10 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronblood (Post 1544526)
Thanks for the kind words... I was away on vacation last week.

It works right, if you add a zero length vector (speed zero vector) to another vector, you're adding zero to it. There should be no conversion in that case; it would be true motion.

But I think I see what you mean. You're moving along and plottting on radar the relative motion; then you stop and continue to plot the true motion.

If you're plotting true motion from a stationary position then what do you think you need to convert? It's the true motion.

Yes indeed i was mistaken ehehhehe

Tnx a lot

:)