SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   U boat simulator (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226198)

celeronpm 05-22-16 09:11 PM

U boat simulator

Hi everyone,

I'm hard at work developing a u-boat simulator (deep simulation Ala the DCS games - E.G. A-10 warthog).

The goal is to be able to create a realistic simulator given all of the incredible blueprints, historical accounts, etc... available. Today I just put together a simple dev blog where I'll start catalogeuing the dev journey. In a week or so I'm going to make an alpha available so interested folks can test out and help shape the simulator as it is being built.

At this point I have a fairly realistic buoyancy, drag, and viscosity physics simulator coded for the core of the game. I am reaching a point where I'd like folks to give it a try and help mold it as I build it.

The game is called u-boat simulator and you can check out more details at www.uboatsim.com

harag 05-23-16 02:54 AM

Just you on your own? Looking at the models they look quite impressive, keep us informed of the how it's going.

All the best of luck in the project - Are you doing a kickstarter page?

Cpt Harag

Aktungbby 05-23-16 01:08 PM

Welcome aboard!

celeronpm!:Kaleun_Salute:

Master 05-23-16 01:16 PM

Looks good. Three things I want from a sub sim.

Coop on a single submarine (drop in drop out)
Dynamic campaign
Good damage model / sinking on target ships. SH3 had a great mod for making ships sink realistically.

Pretty much anyone here will buy whatever you make though. There just isnt enough subsims being made these days.

Jimbuna 05-23-16 02:11 PM

Good luck with that and welcome to SubSim :salute:

Onkel Neal 05-23-16 03:20 PM

Sounds great. Send me a PM when you have time and you want me to write an article about your project.

Neal
SUBSIM

Commander Wallace 05-24-16 07:18 AM

Welcome to Subsim, Celeronpm. :sunny:

All the best to you in your endeavors. The sim looks promising. I think there are a lot of people in the forum and in general that would like to see something that continually improves upon Silent hunter 5 .

makman94 05-24-16 08:18 AM

Yes , indead , very very promising Celeronpm!

a hard core sim is what is really missing, all the best to your effort

i hope to have in your plans a hardcore hydrophone room which was one of the most critical areas of a submarine.

when i first so the DCS sim , my first thought was exactly this as yours ... a 'DCS' for a submarine.....heaven !

good luck Celeronpm !!

auricom 05-24-16 08:51 AM

Good luck, Sir! Will be keeping an eye on this one.

doctrine 05-24-16 09:26 AM

The screenshots look amazing! Good job on those, and good luck with the project.

kylania 05-24-16 10:28 AM

Digital Combat Submarine! :)

Impressive start. I know you'll find plenty of testers here.

celeronpm 05-24-16 06:09 PM

Wow, thank you guys for all of the support! My wife thinks I am a nut being so passionately intrigued by U-boats; I just don't know what it is about them that captures the imagination so fervently.

Anyhow, I just posted about the power-train model I am building along with a test control panel. The post is here

Basically, the powerplant can be run in multiple modes:
  1. Diesel engine only
  2. Electric motor only
  3. Support and buffer mode
  4. Diesel-electric mode
  5. Charging mode

The model allows you to manually engage/disengage the clutches. This allows you to be a proper engineering chief if your heart desires (no more simple speed requests!).

Here is a screenshot of the little drive-train panel which is clickable to achieve the aforementioned modes. Any ideas you guys have in terms of art direction, functionality, etc... is welcome!

http://i0.wp.com/www.uboatsim.com/wp...gine.png?w=728

And yes, if you want to automate the task and just use the engine order telegraph system and pass on the duties to your trusted AI chief, you may do so and focus on whatever other duties your heart desires.

celeronpm 05-24-16 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harag (Post 2406390)
Just you on your own? Looking at the models they look quite impressive, keep us informed of the how it's going.

All the best of luck in the project - Are you doing a kickstarter page?

Cpt Harag

Yes sir, for now it's all me. I may seek help for the final art direction and polish, but I can easily handle all of the core programming and mechanics. I have a kickstarter for a vr version but given limited interest, I'll repost one focusing on the simulation aspect of the game (and yes, vr will be supported).

celeronpm 05-24-16 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makman94 (Post 2406676)
Yes , indead , very very promising Celeronpm!

a hard core sim is what is really missing, all the best to your effort

i hope to have in your plans a hardcore hydrophone room which was one of the most critical areas of a submarine.

when i first so the DCS sim , my first thought was exactly this as yours ... a 'DCS' for a submarine.....heaven !

good luck Celeronpm !!

Yes sir, high quality hydrophone room will be there as I am planning VR support. For those that invest in it, you should be able to strain your earns to follow those props.

arkroyal 05-25-16 03:22 AM

:sunny:Good luck:yeah: