SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Wolfpack (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=277)
-   -   Couple of things I would put forward for possible revision (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=244143)

Rya989 03-11-20 01:38 AM

Couple of things I would put forward for possible revision

Hello all, would just like to note an observation for consideration. Since buying Wolfpack I have been playing solo to learn the systems involved. I have noticed when engaged in a deck gun battle, although you can hear the odd shell whistling overhead from the merchant ships, it is very difficult to ascertain damage taken. In my last encounter of this type I surfaced to finish off two merchants, heard the odd shell or two fired towards me but other than taking it as a given that this sound denoted serious damage I had no other reference.
The boat seemed perfectly fine in all respects. I would suggest maybe the bot crew could advise upon damage being taken or some better audible / visual clues could be implemented in the future. Quite frustrating to be just finishing the last ship off and then get the your boat is sunk screen without any real indication that you were taking major hits.

Another small item that could stand looking at again is perhaps the recognition manual, whether this is the screen resolution I am playing in, that is the issue - possibly ? But it seems to me, the masts on the main silhouette details are very difficult to distinguish and it's not until you select each one individually you can make features out clearly.

The only other QoL feature I would put forward ( maybe this is already thing and i'm missing it somehow ? ). Is the ability to recenter the map. I am aware you can zoom in and out to a degree. But I am finding that when taking time, planning an attack often I end up right on the extreme edge of the map and can find no way to gain more space to make full use of the map tools. I do realise currently this is a skirmish / quick encounter mode and the roadmap suggests maybe an extended patrol region to come. However would it be possible to look at this ?

Other than that the update seems a massive improvement, thanks to all involved.

Onkel Neal 03-11-20 09:45 AM

Yes, thank you for the feedback, very helpful. :Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

Rya989 03-12-20 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2653683)
Yes, thank you for the feedback, very helpful. :Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

Thankyou for the kind response, and not being dismissive as can often occur on some forums. I very much appreciate you taking the time to answer, especially as you must be bombarded by different visions or expectations, I would imagine.
I have never personally had any involvement in game / simulation development, but have observed numerous other projects lose impetus from there original focus purely due to the different community factions each vying for their direction or ideal.
I have great faith that if you can maintain your original direction and focus to the most part, taking onboard suggestions that don't stray too far from this plan. It will turn out great for all, as nothing of this scale has been accomplished so far, and what we have currently is a giant leap forward and something I've imagined as a - "wouldn't it be great to have a Uboat sim where you can......" .

Once again thankyou for all your efforts.

Pisces 03-12-20 02:25 PM

Inside the boat you do get cues to the amount of damage taken. But it may not be obvious. The cues inside are bursting and no longer working lightbulbs. You have only so many that can fail before it's done and over. But agreed, you don't get them outside on the deck. Well except from the obvious impact explosion. That should give enough of a cue to dive. It's not a tank with armor that you are driving, right!?! Do whatever your playstyle is like. But don't expect to live long enough.

Rya989 03-13-20 05:41 AM

Maybe the issue was in playing solo, and not being able to see certain areas ? I am certainly not denying what your saying at all, in anyway, especially with regard to it not being a clever tactic in general to engage in surface deck gun combat. The scenario was early war in defense of that, and I was just experimenting that aspect of the game, and passing on my impressions of time spent playing so far. But I can honestly say although heard a few shots whistle overhead I didn't get the sense of any magnitude of damage being taken.
Once again, though it's very early days yet and very happy with what has been produced by the team developing the game so far, and look upon any further improvements or features as a bonus.