SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=246762)

Mr Quatro 09-18-20 06:50 PM

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

Odd timing,but may she rest in peace ... Now the race will be on to replace her, but it won't be before the election that's for sure.

Saying who you want to replace her could sink your chance for the POTUS :yep:

https://www.chron.com/news/article/S...t-15579237.php

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.A36zXF...pr=1.5&pid=1.7

August 09-18-20 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Quatro (Post 2696199)
Odd timing,but may she rest in peace ... Now the race will be on to replace her, but it won't be before the election that's for sure.

Saying who you want to replace her could sink your chance for the POTUS :yep:

I'll bet that Trump picks the next one on his SCJ list and McConnell lets it go forward. Question is whether the Repubs will have the votes to pass it. It would only take a few defections to scuttle the attempt.

Onkel Neal 09-18-20 10:19 PM

Now things get interesting....

Buddahaid 09-18-20 10:59 PM

Trump has at least until January to get it done and McConnell has stated in a letter the nominee will get a vote on the Senate floor.

Skybird 09-19-20 05:34 AM

I dont get it, never got. What is the argument behind this for-remaining-lifetime thing?

I think German Federal Constitutional Court is like that, too, but has changing presidencies. I am not certain.

But seating for lifetime in positions at the very top, imo simply is dangerous, and against the principle of why in politics they hold frequent elections.

Jimbuna 09-19-20 05:47 AM

Based upon past programmes/documentaries she has been mentioned in or been a part of I formed a feeling of admiration for her.

May she rest in peace.

August 09-19-20 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 2696229)
I think German Federal Constitutional Court is like that, too, but has changing presidencies. I am not certain.

Maybe you should learn the details of your own high court before you start criticizing ours.

MaDef 09-19-20 08:52 AM

Quote:

I dont get it, never got. What is the argument behind this for-remaining-lifetime thing?

But seating for lifetime in positions at the very top, imo simply is dangerous, and against the principle of why in politics they hold frequent elections.

Federal judges are Nominated by the president, and then approved by Congress, lifetime appointment for Federal Judges minimizes the influence of the executive and legislative branches of government on the Supreme Court and the other Appellate Courts (there are 13). They deal almost exclusively with Constitutional Law with the SCOTUS being the final arbiter of Constitutional questions.

Onkel Neal 09-19-20 10:45 AM

Quote:

Basically it's so they do not have to curry favor to get re-elected. I think a single ten year term would be better.

Now we get to witness some hypocrisy topped with a Clintonesque does of hair-splitting by the Republicans as they rush to nominate and confirm one more SCJ.

Aktungbby 09-19-20 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbuna (Post 2696234)
Based upon past programmes/documentaries she has been mentioned in or been a part of I formed a feeling of admiration for her.

May she rest in peace.

"They go in threes": Diana Rigg(Avenger Emma Peel), Ruth Bader Ginsburg(the 'Notorious RBG' to her fans-incl. my lawyer spouse)...who's next I wonder:hmmm:

Skybird 09-19-20 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2696275)
Basically it's so they do not have to curry favor to get re-elected. I think a single ten year term would be better.

Yeah, one term, long enough of not needing to collect favours, but then automatic end of term after a time frame as you mentioned, eight years, ten, I would be fine with that.

Else it ends like with judges at the European court who serve short terms and miust please the heads of governments to get called in for another term. It has been designed this way so that the EU court has little interest to piss the EU memberstate'S giovenrment too often.

em2nought 09-19-20 01:52 PM

Now we're being spoon fed some B.S. that her dying wish was to "not" have Trump select her replacement. :har:

Skybird 09-19-20 03:33 PM

The ideological balance of the nine-member court is crucial to its rulings on the most important issues in US law.
In 2016, Senate Republicans blocked Democratic President Barack Obama's pick for the US top court. At the time, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell justified the move on grounds that it was an election year.
But on Friday Senator McConnell said he intended to act on any nomination Mr Trump made.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54216710

Double standards from the usual suzspects.

McConnel also was the one who insisted on that the Senate will block any impeachment NO MATTER THE EVIDENCE, and that he does not care for facts and right and wrong, truth and untruth, guilt and non-guilt.

A moral moron of hand-selected quality. Like so many actors in politics. They seem to vary only in the sheer amount of their individual unscrupulousness.

August 09-19-20 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by em2nought (Post 2696315)
Now we're being spoon fed some B.S. that her dying wish was to "not" have Trump select her replacement. :har:

So says Maxine Waters. :haha:

Mr Quatro 09-19-20 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by em2nought (Post 2696315)

On her death bed surrounded by her relatives no less :hmmm:

ACLU attorney chosen by Clinton :o