SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Best of Subsim (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=267)
-   -   Your 2009 Best of Subsim! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=159326)

Aramike 12-20-09 04:43 AM

Your 2009 Best of Subsim!

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is my pleasure to announce to you the very best of Subsim for 2009! These individuals were selected through a process that involved much discussion, multiple votes, and had to be pared down from many nominees. Ultimately, agree or disagree with the awards, these members and accomplishments are undoubtedly exceptional examples of this community's finest.

Finally, congratulations to each winner, runner-up, and nominee, and a heartfelt thanks from an appreciative community for your regular contributions!

So without any further ado (I know there's been a bit), here are the winners:

Best Poster of the Year:
Sailor Steve
Runner-up:
Tomi99

Midshipman of the Year:
Karamazovnew
Runner-up:
DigitalAura

Best Thread of the Year:
DaveyJ576's Real Submarine Technology & History Q&A

Best Mod of the Year:
TMO by Ducimus
Runner-up:
AoB by Nicolas and ddgrn

Best Modder of the Year:
Hitman
Runner-up:
skwasjer

Most Helpful Member of the Year:
Jimbuna
Runner-up:
WEBSTER

Best Moderator of the Year:
NeonSamurai
Runner-up:
Hitman

Best Post of the Year:
TriggerMaru Announcement

Best Signature of the Year:
Flakmonkey
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...s1066/sig3.jpg
Runner-up:
DigitalAura

Funniest Post of the Year:

DaveyJ576's Post Here

Please take a moment to congratulate these individuals and post any thoughts and concerns about the awards!

And finally, an extra special thanks to the ...

Best Website Owner/Operator of the Year:
Neal Stevens

Please, show your appreciation for Neal and Subsim: http://www.subsim.com/sh2fleet_forms...fundraiser.htm

Thank you for all your input and participation, with a special thanks to the committee who voluteered their time and exempted themselves from awards (I know of a couple individuals that would have won hands-down) to make this happen!

Dowly 12-20-09 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aramike (Post 1222125)
Best Website Owner/Operator of the Year:
Neal Stevens

*acts surprised* :haha: Be sure to wash all that brown stuff off your face before you go out. :O:

Right, congrats all. :salute:

Aramike 12-20-09 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly (Post 1222127)
*acts surprised* :haha: Be sure to wash all that brown stuff off your face before you go out. :O:

Right, congrats all. :salute:

:haha:

Actually, believe it or not, that was a write-in on someone's ballot. I just happen to agree with it. :cool:

GoldenRivet 12-20-09 09:25 AM

Congratulations guys ! :yeah:

AVGWarhawk 12-20-09 09:35 AM

Congrats guys. Thanks for making SS what it is! :up:

Onkel Neal 12-20-09 09:37 AM

Congrats to all the winners. Believe me, there were a lot of worthy candidates for these awards. Subsim has no shortage of great people and there are too many to name.

Winners will now see the Best of Subsim award beneath their avatar:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/images/Subsim-Star.png

Wear it proudly, my friends.

Last, please join me in expressing gratitude to Aramike, for brainstorming this concept, designing the awards committee, keeping the whole thing on track, and managing it. Job well done, Mike, thanks. :salute:

Special thanks to Dan the Man, for the very nice Best of image. As always, great work, Danlisa.

And to the awards committee, for getting in there and examining all the threads and posts, debating the candidates, and investing the time to make us all winners. It's guys like you who make Subsim a unique place on the web--a real cyber home for submarine nuts. Salute!

happy holidays,
Neal

Hitman 12-20-09 11:30 AM

Quote:

Best Modder of the Year:
Hitman
Runner-up:
skwasjer
Say what???

Isn't there an error???

I have not produced anything original myself last year, how come Skwasjer or Karamazovnew are not given the award???

The simple fact of comparing my tinkering with the huge work done by Skwasjer results shameful for him.

Guys please reconsider that award, it really is off the mark :oops:

Onkel Neal 12-20-09 11:39 AM

Maybe there was some confusion between "modder" and "moderator". Yes, Skwasjer was amajor force in 2009. By being one of the finalists, he was a top candidate.

But, if you want to know, here are some of the discussion comments (names omitted to protect the innocent and chronic bad spellerz)>

Quote:

Can Hitman be nominated? Hitman is just all around friendly and helpful with members who are modding.

Quote:

Hitman is also active in both SH3 and SH4 forums, being equally open and helpful in both. When ****** kind of stole his thunder with ****modx Hitman didn't get territorial. He jumped in with both feet and helped!

Well, those were Hitman's methods! If ANYONE should have lost their cool, it should have been he. He not only agreed with my post, he provided illustration, evidence and support.

Not only for his mods, but for his all-around good guyness, Hitman would be a great choice.

Quote:

Yes he is a good choice and to be honest will work at something he really wants until his eyes bleed. He is doing it now with the new interface for SH4 uboats. Although not his mod he is up to his neck with working on it, being supportive and helping it come to light. Hitman is at the top of the list for me in the category. :up:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=152590

If you search all posts by Hitman he is all over the modding scene like a rash helping everyone. Post after post is nothing but helping out and answering questions. He is very supportive to all.
Quote:

The other obvious choice of modder of the year is skwasjer. Without S3D very few of the mods would be here in the advanced form they are. Showing favoritism to no one, hard-nosed as an icebreaker about providing equal opportunity to mod SH3 and SH4, skwasjer has quietly revolutionized all modding for the two games.

You can pick any mod you want and skwasjer is an indispensable part of it.

...and the discussion continued, pointing out the merits of both worthy guys. Looks like Mr. Rash was selected this year :)

Jimbuna 12-20-09 11:50 AM

For once I'm at an almost complete loss for words :oops:

This was totally unexpected because helping people is what this fine community is all about....the pleasure was all mine :know:

Much thanks and appreciation to those who took the time and bother to vote and many congratulations to all of those who received similar recognition :sunny:

karamazovnew 12-20-09 12:42 PM

I had just finished posting something, scrolled up, went to another thread, read one of my posts, closed the browser, entered SH4 and at the loading screen it finally clicked:

WTF?!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wFWqWIH-WF...2520monkey.jpg

I had no idea that anyone had voted for me for anything. And since the thread was removed, I'll never find out. By the way, what's a "Midshipman of the Year" :oops:? Hope it's a good thing :haha:

mookiemookie 12-20-09 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karamazovnew (Post 1222319)
I had just finished posting something, scrolled up, went to another thread, read one of my posts, closed the browser, entered SH4 and at the loading screen it finally clicked:

WTF?!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wFWqWIH-WF...2520monkey.jpg

I had no idea that anyone had voted for me for anything. And since the thread was removed, I'll never find out. By the way, what's a "Midshipman of the Year" :oops:? Hope it's a good thing :haha:

You were chosen as "Midshipman Of the Year" which is the equivalent of "New Member of the Year." Congratulations!

Sailor Steve 12-20-09 01:50 PM

Well, I'm honored, and like most folks who get these sorts of things don't really agree that I deserve it.

I just wanted to congratulate a few people:

Karamazovnew: For a new guy, you really have contributed a lot.

DaveyJ576: Same thing. His contribution is mainly limited to one thread, but what a thread it is!

Ducimus: Well deserved, but he needs a second award: 'Most Checkered Career'.:rotfl2:

Hitman: I think the thread references speak for themselves. I really wish Skwasjer could get a 'Special Mention' award or something, because his programs really are all that people say they are. But you, my friend, are very much deserving as well. Don't sell yourself short.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna

:rotfl2: That'll be the day. I'd accuse him of false modesty, but I've met him, and believe me it's very real. And well deserved.

Neal: Without you none of this would have ever happened. I agree with the anonymous voter that you deserve this. You should follow your own advice and wear it with pride. Anybody sees it and says otherwise, you'll have dozens of us standing up for you.:rock:

And I'd also like to thank Aramike for having this idea and seeing it through. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't mean a lot, but it makes us feel more like the community we are, and that does mean a lot.

ajrimmer42 12-20-09 03:02 PM

Well done guys :yeah:

AVGWarhawk 12-20-09 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna (Post 1222287)

This was totally unexpected because helping people is what this fine community is all about....the pleasure was all mine :know:

Much thanks and appreciation to those who took the time and bother to vote and many congratulations to all of those who received similar recognition :sunny:

Well come on Jim, 29000+ posts....you're like a rash around here. :O::har:

AVGWarhawk 12-20-09 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitman (Post 1222279)
Say what???

Isn't there an error???

I have not produced anything original myself last year, how come Skwasjer or Karamazovnew are not given the award???

The simple fact of comparing my tinkering with the huge work done by Skwasjer results shameful for him.

Guys please reconsider that award, it really is off the mark :oops:

Sometimes it is not about the mod Hitman.... it is about those that do mod and provide the most help with others who are working on mods. You call it tinkering, we call it helpful. You are going to accept the award and like it. :nope: :D