SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   What Real Subs have you been on? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=125755)

rrmelend 11-26-07 03:38 PM

What Real Subs have you been on?

Just wondering what real subs any of you have been on? Two summers ago I had the pleasure of going to Hawaii on my honeymoon (my wife is also a history teacher)and had the pleasure to spend some time on the USS Bowfin (SS-287). Then a month later I attended a confernce in Philly, Gettysburg and DC and while in Philly I made it over to the USS Becuna (SS-319). In college I wrote my thesis on the US sub war against Japan so I gave all the other teachers a tour of the boat and announced what room we were about to enter before we entered it (I'm sure they hated me). I have yet to see a Gato or any other class in real life and I am anxiously looking forward to one day spending some time on one.

dean_acheson 11-26-07 03:42 PM

Bowfin/Drum/Clamagore... then that one at Disneyland too.....

AVGWarhawk 11-26-07 03:50 PM

USS Torsk....I'm there every Saturday restoring the old girl. Drop on by if you are visiting Baltimore.

Peto 11-26-07 04:07 PM

Cobia: Manitowoc, WI

I've had the pleasure of giving a couple tours on it. Was also on board it with a bunch of subvets (WWII and Cold War Diesel vets) and we had 9 guys in the conning tower :doh:. We couldn't get the engines started :lol:.

cdrsubron7 11-26-07 04:13 PM

I've had the privelidge of visiting two WW II subs. The USS Cobia in Mantiwoc, Wisconsin and the USS Ling in Hackensack, New Jersey. A friend of mine by the name of Jerry Calenberg did some volunteer work on the Cobia and kindly gave my sons and a guided tour of the sub a few years back. By the end of the tour, my sons were asking more questions than I was. :D

I still have a bunch of pictures from the USS Ling that I took. If anybody is interested I can post some of them here.

Ducimus 11-26-07 04:17 PM

Just the Drum. I think theres one in San diego or san Francisco, but im too lazy to make the drive - particuarlly to San Francisco. Drum was by happenstance, was stationed a few hours away from mobile at one point, so i made the trip. Cool thing was, servicemembers and vets got in for free, so i really had a field day.

Wish i brought my camera :cry:

Prof 11-26-07 04:25 PM

I've been in the following (roughly in order of visiting!):

HMS Alliance (Portsmouth, UK)
USS Pampanito (San Francisco, CA)
USS Nautilus (Groton, CT)
HMAS Onslow (Sydney, Australia)
HMAS Ovens (Perth, Australia)
Holland 1 (Portsmouth, UK).

I'm planning to go to Laboe and Hamburg next year to visit U-995 and U-434 (Tango class). I'm also thinking of planning a return to the US east coast to tick off a few more subs from my list :)

scrag 11-26-07 04:26 PM

MIght want to rephrase this

Real Subs as in WWII or any?
WWII - BOWFIN, DRUM, LIONFISH, TORSK, Various Boats in New England Area,
U-505
Royal Naval Submarine Museum Gosport
HMAS Onslow
FOXTROT CLASS SS - Long Beach
35 different US SSN's 3 UK SSN's 1 UK SSBN
5 different SS/SSK's

DevilThorn 11-26-07 04:28 PM

USS Cod in Clevleand, Ohio. Got a cool T-Shirt.

John Channing 11-26-07 04:30 PM

Spent an interesting afternoon on a Soviet Juliette class.

Several others, but if I told you... well, you know.

JCC

rrmelend 11-26-07 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducimus
Just the Drum. I think theres one in San diego or san Francisco, but im too lazy to make the drive - particuarlly to San Francisco. Drum was by happenstance, was stationed a few hours away from mobile at one point, so i made the trip. Cool thing was, servicemembers and vets got in for free, so i really had a field day.

Wish i brought my camera :cry:

As Prof said in the post after yours, the boat in Frisco is the Pampanito. I never did get around to her when I was attending college in Santa Cruz. I'll make it to see her one of these days. As far as San Diego goes I lived there for 20 years and the only time I remeber a sub being there (other than at the sub base below Cabrillo Point) was sometime in the mid-80's they had a Soviet sub pull in one weekend and they let people walk through parts of it. I was only 7 or 8 years old so I don't remember much or what boat or even class it was. As far as the camera goes I know your pain. The conference I was on in Philly, Gettysburg, and DC was a once in a lifetime thing (Presidential Academy for American History and Civics, 1 teacher per state) and I could not find my camera in time. I moved the week before my flight left. I have no pics from the Becuna but I have a ton from the Bowfin.

mookiemookie 11-26-07 05:07 PM

I helped load torpedoes into the Cavalla in Galveston with Onkel Neal. :arrgh!:

cmdrk 11-26-07 05:20 PM

U.S.S. LIONFISH (SS298)
Fall River, Mass.
http://www.battleshipcove.org/exhibits.htm

Bill Nichols 11-26-07 05:25 PM

Other than my Navy service on USS Nautilus, and an overnight cruise on HMS Churchill, the other subs I've been on include:

USS Narwhal (Groton, CT)
USS Los Angeles (La Maddalena, Italy)
USS Norfolk (Norfolk, VA)
USS Baton Rouge (Charleston, SC)
USS Torsk (Baltimore, MD)
USS Pampanito (San Francisco, CA)
USS Batfish (Muskogee, OK)
USS Lionfish (Fall River, MA)
HMS Alliance (Gosport, UK)
Holland 1 (Gosport, UK)

I couldn't go onboard, but got a close-up look at the WW1 U-boat U-1 in the Deutches Museum (that boat has her side cut away so you can see the innards)

http://www.uboataces.com/images/u-1.jpg

oh, and I almost forgot:

Nemo's Nautilus (Orlando, FL)

Gunner 11-26-07 05:58 PM

Took a tour on a Russian Diesel powerd sub built in early sixties, can't recall what class she was, but a promoter bought her from the Russians and had it towed to Newestminster, Vancouver, British Columbia. They charged $15.00 for a tour, they had a deactivated Russian Torpedo on display in bow, wouldn't let anyone go into conning tower which really sucked, :arrgh!: