SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Myths on consuming meat (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=242097)

Skybird 08-15-19 03:38 PM

Myths on consuming meat

This is from the Achse, so you might assume it was me discovering it. But in fact an old friend, an ecotrophologist, send it to me, assuming I did not know the website. She send it with a comment on that the research the autor did on the studies looks very serious to her, and that she knows the quoted study herself.

On cancer:

https://translate.google.de/translat...schalarm_krebs

Note the many links in the text and in the appendix. You find original documents in English there.

More parts to follow. Next part will be about methane from lifestock holding. I plan to post all five parts of this series.
---

On a sidenote, nerve-killer Geta the Great sails to America. A German scientist has published culculation on the carbon footprint she leaves for that trip in this format. Regarding CO2, she better would have taken the trip via airline. :har:

Stupid and nerve-killing brat, auld-farrant and bossy. And people celebrate her... Tells little about her Highness, but lots about people.

Skybird 08-16-19 04:57 AM

Farting cows:

https://www.achgut.com/artikel/popul...arm_rinderfurz

Next: Rainforest.

STEED 08-17-19 04:29 AM

Its not cow farts that cause the problem its cows belching...ratio 70% belching 30% farting.

Skybird 08-17-19 07:52 AM

Part 3: Annihilating the Rain Forest
https://translate.google.de/translat...waldvernichter

Next part tomorrow: Morality of eating meat

Buddahaid 08-17-19 08:44 AM

Tree mutton.

Skybird 08-18-19 08:38 AM

Ethics of killing to eat meat:
https://translate.google.de/translat...chalarm_suende

Next and last part tomorrow: world hunger

Rockstar 08-18-19 10:16 AM

Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age but the way I see it if anyone in the western 'civilized' nations wants a steak they need to go raise and slaughter the animal themselves. That ought to drastically cut down the pollution, waste and by-product. Get rid of the 'dis'assembly lines, slaughter houses and the stockyards where future steaks roam about in small pens, mud and feces and are fed garbage. Instead of green pasture and grass. Chickens whose sole purpose are to be bred and slaughtered within three to four weeks of their lives.

If someone wants a chicken sandwich give them a cleaver and tell them to slaughter the chicken. A quarter pounder with cheese? At least be made to watch a video while they wait for their order of how the cattle live and are slaughtered. That'll cut down on the cow populations and flatulence.

Gorpet 08-18-19 04:37 PM

You probably are and so are your teeth.Just stop meat eaters from Breeding it's just that simple.:up:

ikalugin 08-19-19 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockstar (Post 2623272)
Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age but the way I see it if anyone in the western 'civilized' nations wants a steak they need to go raise and slaughter the animal themselves. That ought to drastically cut down the pollution, waste and by-product. Get rid of the 'dis'assembly lines, slaughter houses and the stockyards where future steaks roam about in small pens, mud and feces and are fed garbage. Instead of green pasture and grass. Chickens whose sole purpose are to be bred and slaughtered within three to four weeks of their lives.

If someone wants a chicken sandwich give them a cleaver and tell them to slaughter the chicken. A quarter pounder with cheese? At least be made to watch a video while they wait for their order of how the cattle live and are slaughtered. That'll cut down on the cow populations and flatulence.

Well that would work for us, we have plenty of empty pastures and it would not be below us to smuggle prohibited meat products into the west. All the sweet sweet profit from fillet meats being sold at underground prohibition era steakhouses. MMMMMM

Plus as a hunter I doubt that people couldn't overcome aversion to slaughter, it would be mostly an inconvenience due to the lack of division of labour and economies of scale that the modern economy is built on.

STEED 08-19-19 05:40 AM

I have cut back on red meat by a good 90% now. I can go weeks without red meat and not miss it, I rather eat fish but the cost of fish has gone though the roof.

Jimbuna 08-19-19 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockstar (Post 2623272)

Do you really think that is going to happen?

Rockstar 08-19-19 06:10 AM

ha ha not a snowball's chance in hell of it happening. I'd pay good money to see the look on peoples faces though :D

vienna 08-19-19 01:05 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBXyy5PRt88

<O>

ikalugin 08-19-19 01:17 PM

Well, Global Warming is apparently going to create additional pastures in Russia, maybe it is all a plot by Russian farmers to make all the shekels on the meat sales.

Skybird 08-19-19 01:34 PM

Part 5, last part: hunger cause

https://translate.google.de/translat...hunger_ursache

-----

Personally, I eat meat, though not a lot. No cold meat on bread (almost never), no pig (it seems I cannot digest it too well, I quickly get pimples), but meat 2-3 times a week for lunch or dinner: if so, then it is mosly chicken, sometimes beef, rarely lamb or calf. I eat a lot of fish.

The contemporary debates abot animalsd rights, reducing joy in eating to compensate the insane birth rates in other parts of the world, and other such nonsense, leaves me completely unimpressed. I am for fair treatment of animals, I think who wants to eat meat must agree or must be able by mind to kill with his own ahnds, and I am agains the sometime sinsaneny cheap prices for meat in German supermarkets, andf the eocnomic pressure these prudce - and that leads to low wquality, and curel farmign conditons for animals.

Living goes atthe cost of other life, killing to eat is part of life, and I accept that. But I do not like to be cruel, cruelty towards animals drives me wild. I am, convinced that today's isnane population levels, gobally, cannot be fed without industrial and intensive farming and lifestock holding. For that reason I am in princple supportive for genetical manipulation of plants, though I wanr of the dangers that must arise if one allows monopolism in this industry - this must be prevented at all cost. Practices like Monsanto is famous for, are criminal and against the human global interest.

Slauightering shouold, wehreever possible, be done in place, on the farm. Anbimals, until their time has comel, should be allowed to live naturally and be killed without pain, stress and cruelty.

To me there are fundamental philosophical objections to seeing animal rights as equal and on same level to human rights.

I would tolerate artificial laboratory meat from the test tube, if it has the same consistency and taste and behave sthe same way during pan processing in itchen, like biological meat. in other words: when it is a full and worthy replacement. I can imagine to then become a a consumer exlcus9vely of lab meat. But they have still a very long way to go there.

Some vegetarian dishes cna atatse well, of course, I cook some myself, and my mother excelled in that. But so far I have never tasted anythign that even gets close to beaing a surrogate for meat worth to be cosnidered.

Vegan food from the lab all too often tastes simply like ####.

Feeding yourself healthily as a vegan, is very difficult, needs plenty of kowledge, has nothign to do with natural food habits, and by design we are neither carnivores, nor herbivores, but omnivores.

I also insist on food associated with enjoyment and "fun", I mean the taste plays a role, and a big one. The self mortification of fanatical food messiahs that want to make the world not eating this not eating that, remainds me strongly of the mortification of relgious christian fanatics in Calvinism and Protestantism: duty and suffering, no joy, no sex, no pleasure. I just have redcued weight from 90 to 75 kg over the past 10 months, so I know how to eat moderately, but I refuse to demonise every little sin, and ever yplewasure and I do not eat what does not fit my taste and what I do not enjoy to eat, no matter how healthy somebody says it is. I also refuse to eat politically correct, or to eat according to mainstream opinions. I eat and let others eat, but do not try to give me rules I should obey. My food must taste me well.

And that includes meat from killed animals and cooked in the way I like. If somebody likes that or not, I do not care.

In the end we all will die anyway. :up: