SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   GWX 3.0 OR Living Silent Hunter III 5.1 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=177926)

pelucho25 12-12-10 07:16 AM

GWX 3.0 OR Living Silent Hunter III 5.1

which is best for you in immersion and realism GWX 3.0 + MODS or Living Silent Hunter III 5.1

h.sie 12-12-10 07:36 AM

I would not rely on other peoples tastes. Install both, test both and decide. But I recommend to test also NYGM supermod.!

Sailor Steve 12-12-10 10:48 AM

And War Ace Campaign. The truth is that they all add so much to the game that it's hard to choose.

But whatever you end up using, SH3 Commander is the ultimate add-on, and not to be left out.

Corsair 12-12-10 06:30 PM

Agree with H.sie, it's all a question of people's own taste, but also depends on the machine you're running it on.
After trying all of them, I finally settled for Living SH3 V5.1 on my home computer with Windows XP and NYGM on my laptop with W7 as it would run other mods as a slide show in harbour environments. (note that Living SH3 also has "lite" versions included in the download)

Anvart 12-13-10 05:22 AM

In each of mentioned mods there are strong sides, but GWX 3 - the most balanced at possibilities and productivity of the computer, i think.

Jimbuna 12-13-10 08:15 AM

Give em all a spin then decide....I did.

Tonga 12-13-10 10:34 AM

Same here! I tested GWX, LSH and WAC and considering the fact that I only have limited performance ressources etc. here on my notebook, I went for GWX and am sure I won't ever regret it. However the other supermods are very very good and it definetly is a question of personal taste. Invest the time by yourself and have a close look on each one of them before you decide - they are all worth it.

pelucho25 12-13-10 04:57 PM

Thank you very much to all guys, I heard that the most difficult and realistic is the NYGM. Is it true?. what is your preference to play? Mods and installation order ...

Tessa 12-13-10 06:17 PM

To be honest, there is one aspect of this question that I hope some other's speak up on. Without getting into too much detail, what do you think are some of the best traits of the supermods (I've only ever used GWX myself, since 1.x) or some traits that are unique to that particular mod?

P.S. Assume that the computer has plenty of resources, not interested in how well certain ones work with older hardware, etc., am interested in the traits themselves.

Corsair 12-13-10 07:09 PM

I would say it's a matter of overall personal feeling and one's definition of what a sim game should be (I've been since more than 20 years in the flight sim world and this a debate we had thousands of times)
It's just that at some point it feels right for you. Depends also where you started. You've always played GWX, I played NYGM from the start. I have played several versions of GWX, and although I am very admirative of the huge work and historical research behind, I always went back to NYGM. Can't explain precisely why, although I specially appreciate Hitman's Gui for NYGM 3.4, which leads you to use your sub close to historical behaviour (dark night surface attack with UZO, Observation or attack scope following weather conditions and ambient light)

Sailor Steve 12-13-10 09:31 PM

The folks who did WAC went to great lengths to flesh out all the historic campaigns.

LSH3 has, among other things, awesomely recreated harbors (of which Wilhelmshaven has found its way into GWX) and the historic bridges over the Kiel Canal, which are a marvel to behold.

There are many other advantages to each, but as always those things are what come to my mind first.

I just wish someone with the talent had put the best of all of them into SH4. Then I would be truly happy.

makman94 12-14-10 05:22 AM

top at list are NYGM and LSH !
NYGM for sensors-gameplay and LSH for all the eyes-candies that has...U-boats streams,exhaust smokes,plenty of nice ships...nice harbours....etc
WAC also has many many eyes candies but its hot point and real power is the unbeatable campaign that offers ! if you are fan of campaigns then wac is your mod .
GWX is somehow a balance for all the aboves for lower powered pcs

Tessa 12-14-10 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makman94 (Post 1553297)
top at list are NYGM and LSH !
NYGM for sensors-gameplay and LSH for all the eyes-candies that has...U-boats streams,exhaust smokes,plenty of nice ships...nice harbours....etc
WAC also has many many eyes candies but its hot point and real power is the unbeatable campaign that offers ! if you are fan of campaigns then wac is your mod .
GWX is somehow a balance for all the aboves for lower powered pcs

Eye candy is nice, but is no substitute for quality. WAC looks really appealing, but I couldn't really find any information about the mod itself; just links to the new versions and informatin on changes. When you say unbeatable campaign do you just mean that its really friggin hard, or its like GWX where it follows the course of history regardless and there is no 'win' scenario?

Sailor Steve 12-14-10 03:42 PM

Following the history regardless with no chance to change the war is part of the stock game, and is not GWX's fault. No mod, super or otherwise, can change that. When he says "unbeatable" he means that WAC's main emphasis is on the historical campaigns, and they are recreated in more detail than any other version.

Tessa 12-15-10 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1553571)
Following the history regardless with no chance to change the war is part of the stock game, and is not GWX's fault.

Have been aware of that shortly after playing GWX; no blame or anything ill was meant here. Over the years there have been numerous people that have tried to or made mods that could give you a "winning scenario"; this is what I was questioning about.