SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Tanksim.com (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   T34 vs Tiger- Kursk 1943 coming soon! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=158301)

KdF 04-25-11 05:01 PM

Some preformance wise, takes more than 4 gb memory. Little faster at boot. Will not install some older programs. Makes 2 program file folders on install, one regular and one for Win x86. After installing these on both, I'll give 'em a whirl later tonite.

ZeeWolf 04-25-11 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KdF (Post 1650830)
Some preformance wise, takes more than 4 gb memory. Little faster at boot. Will not install some older programs. Makes 2 program file folders on install, one regular and one for Win x86. After installing these on both, I'll give 'em a whirl later tonite.

Great KdF :salute:
ZW

KdF 04-25-11 05:45 PM

<P>OK, yall......how do ya attach Pics?</P>

Txema 04-25-11 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeeWolf (Post 1650164)
Hallo Kameraden!
The Easter update (beta) is done. :woot:
http://www.tanksimzw.com/images/ZW_EasterUpdate1.jpg
Note:The main reason this is called a "beta" version is because of the changes made
to increase performance across Operating Systems (OS) platforms. Therefore your feed
back is vital to help complete this phase of this release.

The first thing that must be tested are the changes made in these 8 files:
1.Editor.exe
2.Behavior.dll
3.Controls.dll
4.engine.dll
5.J5Script.dll
6.objects.dll
7.Service.dll
8.UI.dll

The changes made are to the use of the older DirectX 9c with a more common DX 9c. Thus eliminating the need for the
DX 9c shipped with the original DX version that is a hassle to install on Win7 32/64bit system. Although there is no firm
guarantee that it will do as planned, so those with Win7 work with me with your feed back. The stock files are available
available in the file "ZW_2011_Easter_RE-Store.exe" for an easy restore if you have any problems.

The new playable Tiger (early version) is included in three camo schemes Brown, Green and Winter. Also the Panthers
have new skins too as well as others. The winter work continues and will be in the next update with a new map and
missions. All the previous ZW German missions have been re-worked in particular the German missions 2,3 and the
Kursk mission three with much better performance. The new Kursk mission 4 is included and the final on the Kursk
mega map for awhile. The next Kursk mission will be on a smaller size map of 18Km x 18Km, Procharovka (the huge tank battle).

Meanwhile the performance issue has my full attention at this time.

Included to is the Kursk Mission one through four are on a single set of raw data files. This will help to keep the
updates down in size and the terrain consistent between missions, very helpful while designing new missions, etc.
The new German single mission one, two and three are using the same single raw data file set as well. Along of course
with an enormous number of new technical changes.

It will take me about an hour and a half to upload the 105mg file and after
that is complete I'll send you new members the link.

Vorwärts Kameraden! :salute:

ZW

ZW,

I have received the link for this update... Thank you very much !!

However you state that it must be installed on top of "ZW_2011_FEB_Update.exe" foundation file.

I have never received that file. The latest files that I have are:

ZW_FINAL_2010_Update
ZW_MO_OctoberUpdate_v1A

Can I install the Easter update on top of these two files or I need to receive the "ZW_2011_FEB_Update.exe" foundation file ?

Thanks for your help !!

Txema

KapitanDP 04-25-11 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeeWolf (Post 1650695)
Hi KDP,
Is this only in the Kursk missions for you 1-4 issues?
The gear issue definitely sounds like a conflict problem. I must say too
that your Vista 32 in a new area for me I think you are the only one I
have heard from with this OS. Try re-installing TvT and after adding the
ZW Updates try updating (web update) your DirectX. This will give you
a fresh start.
And a note about uninstalling tvt: After doing a Uninstall go to the tvt
folder and delete manually any files and folders below /T34vsTiger:up:

ZW:salute:

ZW,
I did re-install before applying the 2/2011 and Easter Mod. Here is what my testing has shown:

German Missions 1-6, max Gear from Commander position is G4 and I don't get any left or right pulling on the tank.

Zitadelle Missions 1-3, max gear from Commander position is G3 and I get the left and right pulling that I mentioned. I thought maybe it was the terrain but sometimes the tank will not just pull to one side it will actually turn 90 degrees or more until I make it turn back with the opposite turn command.

I also see a 7th German mission titled just "Text". If I highlight it and select "Continue" it just gives me a blank mission screen.

KDP

ZeeWolf 04-25-11 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KapitanDP (Post 1650873)
ZW,
I did re-install before applying the 2/2011 and Easter Mod. Here is what my testing has shown:

German Missions 1-6, max Gear from Commander position is G4 and I don't get any left or right pulling on the tank.

Zitadelle Missions 1-3, max gear from Commander position is G3 and I get the left and right pulling that I mentioned. I thought maybe it was the terrain but sometimes the tank will not just pull to one side it will actually turn 90 degrees or more until I make it turn back with the opposite turn command.

I also see a 7th German mission titled just "Text". If I highlight it and select "Continue" it just gives me a blank mission screen.

KDP

Ok, do you mean that you can not go beyond G4 or is G4 the maximum gear
you can switch to?
As for the tank pulling I am aware of that and I was hoping that I fixed that
and you are correct it is a result of the Kursk terrain. Apparently the large
distance between terrain vertices causes a glitch in the suspension's and
track computation. This is a bug that has vexed me for quite some time
now (it is hit and miss for me)and I may have to reconsider using the mega
map in the future if this can not be resolved.
However, the gear issue or problem you have with the inability to go higher
then G4 is new and have not experienced this problem. Please supply more
details.

ZW

PS: I deliberately left out German mission 7 but forgot to comment out the listing of it.

Wilcke 04-26-11 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flying-kane (Post 1650441)
Hi Zee,

i tested your easter present :woot:.

First: Mission accomplished, performance has increased dramatically! :up:
For example:
3. Zitadelle mission:
before: max 10fps
new update: max 35fps/min 12fps (when heavy arty starts firing)

The other missions are playable for now. I think you are on the right way Zee, thx so much!!!

The new stuff is overwhelming, nice skins and nice Tiger model! The Panther looks so beautiful, can't wait to drive it some day.

After all the praise, some negative things and advices. :oops:

First:
What i have seen, first german mission in normal singleplayer. When planes arrive, all tanks rise their guns and start shooting at them. Dunno, but this isn't very helpfull, i know Tigers have a 88mm gun^^, but i don't think Tigers used them against planes, but on the surface...

Second:
I mentioned it some time before, the penetration model must be tuned.
Today i played first mission. I faced some T34/85 and SU85 on point blank range (ca. 300m-600m), they hit me some times, northing happened to me, only track damaged or "damn, turret is hit!!". Afterwards i wiped them out and started to reach the last point, the hidden Pak and T-34. I was in a save distance for 76mm guns (1200m!!!), but then the paks and T34/76 starts firing on me. After 3 or 4 direct hits, my tank was a burning chunk of metal. Even with tungsten ammo, the 76mm gun is effective against Tigers front until 500m!

Third:
It's more a suggestion than a problem. I don't know if it is possible to implement this. Radio communication with other tanks in your squad, because at the moment other Tigers drive for themselve and sometimes they stand around doing nothing.
A radio menu: Open Fire! Cease Fire! Follow me! Build wedge formation etc...
I think you know what i mean. This would bring more realism to TvT.

That's all for today!!! :salute:

Sincerely Kane

Doing testing, please post your computer specs, video card specs and whether you use the Nvidia Control Panel or ATI control panel to force settings and what the settings are or do you just let the game over ride the video settings for the specific game profile in either control panel.

Screen resolution also, please!

Thanks much!

flying-kane 04-26-11 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilcke (Post 1651285)
Doing testing, please post your computer specs, video card specs and whether you use the Nvidia Control Panel or ATI control panel to force settings and what the settings are or do you just let the game over ride the video settings for the specific game profile in either control panel.

Screen resolution also, please!

Thanks much!

Hi wilcke,

my specs are as follows:
Intel Core I5 2500K @ 3,6GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM 1333MHz CL9
AMD HD6850 1GB DDR5
Windows 7 64bit SP1

I use the ATI Tray tools with Catalyst 11.3!
My Resolution is 1280 x 1024 (Desktop and Game).

In game settings: all on max, except tree animation (slider is left).
ATI tray tool: all on default, without vertical synchronisation.
Textures quality on high and mipmap textures on high, too (default is on very high). Anisotrope Filtering is off.

What i have to say is, with new update it's playable for now! But, when arty starts firing, the fps drops down to 14fps and sometimes below.
Zee is on the right way! I hope it becomes better and better with every update. :03:

Sincerely Kane

KapitanDP 04-26-11 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeeWolf (Post 1650887)
Ok, do you mean that you can not go beyond G4 or is G4 the maximum gear
you can switch to?
As for the tank pulling I am aware of that and I was hoping that I fixed that
and you are correct it is a result of the Kursk terrain. Apparently the large
distance between terrain vertices causes a glitch in the suspension's and
track computation. This is a bug that has vexed me for quite some time
now (it is hit and miss for me)and I may have to reconsider using the mega
map in the future if this can not be resolved.
However, the gear issue or problem you have with the inability to go higher
then G4 is new and have not experienced this problem. Please supply more
details.

ZW

PS: I deliberately left out German mission 7 but forgot to comment out the listing of it.

ZW,

Here are my CPU spec's:
Vista 32
Intel Duo Core 2.67 Ghz
2 GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
Video Game Settings: All sliders on Max except Shadows Detail, 1 click down from Max

What I mean about the max gear is that I start the mission at rest in the Commanders Position (Driver and Gunner on auto) I press the "W" key until it stops increasing the Gear setting. In the German missions it goes to G4 and in the Zitadelle missions it goes to G3 and no matter how many more times I press the "W" key it never goes to a higher gear. If I then move temporarily to the driver position, I can increase the Gear setting all the way to the top without any problem. Each time I press the "W" key the Gear setting increases.

KDP

ZeeWolf 04-26-11 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KapitanDP (Post 1651647)
ZW,

Here are my CPU spec's:
Vista 32
Intel Duo Core 2.67 Ghz
2 GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
Video Game Settings: All sliders on Max except Shadows Detail, 1 click down from Max

What I mean about the max gear is that I start the mission at rest in the Commanders Position (Driver and Gunner on auto) I press the "W" key until it stops increasing the Gear setting. In the German missions it goes to G4 and in the Zitadelle missions it goes to G3 and no matter how many more times I press the "W" key it never goes to a higher gear. If I then move temporarily to the driver position, I can increase the Gear setting all the way to the top without any problem. Each time I press the "W" key the Gear setting increases.

KDP

Ok, I should have known you meant while in Auto Driver mode.
I did some changes to the gears and engine rpm. This had an
effect on auto mode too.
But there is some keys that you need to try in Auto driver mode.
here is an image of the keys I use (but you can change the keys to your
preference) . Notice the slots that say increase RPM/Slow forward and
Decrease RPM/Position. Try those while in auto driver mod and you will see
why I have the top speed reduced in auto mode, Auto mode if for battle. :up:
http://www.tanksimzw.com/images/ZW_EngControl1.jpg

:salute:

ZW

PS: In Manual mode you peck the those keys but in Auto Driver you press them once.

Bleser 04-26-11 10:35 PM

@ZeeWolf:

First and foremost, FANTASTIC work on everything you have done. You have effectively taken a corrupt, broken game and turned into something completely reborn. The new Panther and Tiger skins look incredible.

Sadly, there are faults. I still can't get above 15 FPS in the first Kursk Mission:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5145/...95d5f204_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5148/...f5e30baf_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5104/...3a0b9641_b.jpg

I think I will have to read the rest of the posts since I last posted to see if there are new developments - or invest in better hardware! Some day I will play Kursk Mission 1 @ 60 FPS!! :)

Also, as another mentioned, the tanks shoot at the planes in German Mission 1! I had a great laugh. However, they then failed to help me through the rest of the mission, which wasn't nice.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5190/...d2fce81b_b.jpg

I must post this image for it's sheer beauty. And yes, the highest FPS I've ever seen in ZeeWolf's mod, but it lasted just a short while (the rest of the mission averaged about 18 FPS).
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5224/...7d6d5e8d_b.jpg

I'm beginning to think TvT is just internally flawed when so many objects are on the map. These graphics aren't that hard to render by modern standards - it must be poor coding underneath.

I do have a request - how can I remove the sudden "jolt" after firing the gun that screws up the optics afterwards? I realize this may be for added realism, but it is quite annoying and I prefer the stock firing mechanism.

I'll keep trying things and post my thoughts - but I still whole-heartedly recommend your work to others. We'll get through these performance issues.

LcSummers 04-27-11 03:14 AM

No "ZW_2011_FEB_Update.exe"

Hi ZW,

send you a PM as i need the link for the "ZW_2011_FEB_Update.exe"

After receiving it, i will go onward and make a testrun.

Thanks and cheers

LC

Hopefully now we can begin with some discussions. looking forward to it.:up:

Gigi69 04-27-11 04:45 AM

Hi Zee .....
as usual a great work !!
It run great ... only i found some " text " not working missions on the menu.
Also i read about february 2011 update , but never had link about this .
It is necessary or not ?
good job .......
Luigi

ZeeWolf 04-27-11 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleser (Post 1651725)
@ZeeWolf:

First and foremost, FANTASTIC work on everything you have done. You have effectively taken a corrupt, broken game and turned into something completely reborn. The new Panther and Tiger skins look incredible.

Sadly, there are faults. I still can't get above 15 FPS in the first Kursk Mission:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5145/...95d5f204_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5148/...f5e30baf_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5104/...3a0b9641_b.jpg

I think I will have to read the rest of the posts since I last posted to see if there are new developments - or invest in better hardware! Some day I will play Kursk Mission 1 @ 60 FPS!! :)

Also, as another mentioned, the tanks shoot at the planes in German Mission 1! I had a great laugh. However, they then failed to help me through the rest of the mission, which wasn't nice.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5190/...d2fce81b_b.jpg

I must post this image for it's sheer beauty. And yes, the highest FPS I've ever seen in ZeeWolf's mod, but it lasted just a short while (the rest of the mission averaged about 18 FPS).
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5224/...7d6d5e8d_b.jpg

I'm beginning to think TvT is just internally flawed when so many objects are on the map. These graphics aren't that hard to render by modern standards - it must be poor coding underneath.

I do have a request - how can I remove the sudden "jolt" after firing the gun that screws up the optics afterwards? I realize this may be for added realism, but it is quite annoying and I prefer the stock firing mechanism.

I'll keep trying things and post my thoughts - but I still whole-heartedly recommend your work to others. We'll get through these performance issues.

"We'll get through these performance issues" That's the spirit Kamerad :rock:
As for the jolt at firing. You just need more battle time because once you
get good you will not even notice it as a distraction.

I noticed your map was not centered around your Tiger so I made this last
night be for I conked out. You could change the keys around anyway you
want but this is some helpful stuff to get you using the map.

http://www.tanksimzw.com/images/ZW_MapControlKeys.jpg

ZW

ZeeWolf 04-27-11 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LcSummers (Post 1651813)
Hi ZW,

send you a PM as i need the link for the "ZW_2011_FEB_Update.exe"

After receiving it, i will go onward and make a testrun.

Thanks and cheers

LC

Hopefully now we can begin with some discussions. looking forward to it.:up:

It's on it's way Kamerad! :up:

ZW

ZeeWolf 04-27-11 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigi69 (Post 1651825)
Hi Zee .....
as usual a great work !!
It run great ... only i found some " text " not working missions on the menu.
Also i read about february 2011 update , but never had link about this .
It is necessary or not ?
good job .......
Luigi

Thanks Gigi69,
Yeah, I just forgot to comment that referance to German mission 7 out.
Mission 7 isn't ready yet.

Cheers :salute:

ZW

ZeeWolf 04-27-11 03:56 PM

The new Project ZeeWolf Easter Update Beta v1a. report

The new Project ZeeWolf Easter Update Beta v1a.

The performance has increased. But it does not lower the minimum requirements.
Those of you with a Nvidia video card will experience the benefit the most.
My video card is a Radeon HD 4770 512 vram and the fps ranges dramatically
but lacks the power to take full advantage of this release.
But there has been brought to my attention, thanks to feed back from a Komerad
who enlightened me on the fact that TvT dose not put any load on the GPU. :cry:
I was stunned,:o and downloaded GPU-z and checked it out and sure enough no GPU
load in the game.
This never dawned on me to check. Primarily due to the sound my video card's
fan makes while playing and working in TvT. The sound of the fans increase is very
noticeable as with temperature a combination common to a near max-out GPU
I thought. :oops:

Anyway, I have already began on a solution for this GPU problem although the
solution may take a miracle and help from a code Guru but I am far from giving
up on it.

I do have to report on the bug issue know as the "Swamp Effect", it has returned
to vex me some more. But working on a suspicion I made the discovery after
couple of days trying to consistently reproduce this effect. This work finally
revealed some hard evidence. And as a result I can say firmly this was not due
to any vehicle parameter or any adjustment to the model's animated parts or script
files, tracks and suspension etc. But the cause was the large map terrain's mesh
density or the lack there of. Further studying this I found it only occurs at a
very precise angle of 90 and 180 degrees. Traveling exactly north or south you
would see the track start to sink.

However, no complete solution was found for the mega Kursk map only a
reduction, but it will probably be worth it to re-work all the Kursk
missions regardless of limited benefit.

This issue "Swamp Effect" also prodded me to experiment with my new size map for
the Prokhorovka mission. And after testing 25x25 Kilometers (15.53428 x 15.53428
miles). Preliminary tests show that this combination of map size reduction with
the use of high resolution raw map files has totally eliminated the "Swamp effect".

Although the solution will be implemented in a add-on to this release please allow
me some time to receive more feed back first so I can put as much in the update
as I can.

Meanwhile, I wanted to show you guys the deference in mesh density to give you a
clear picture of what I am taking about on this swamp effect/mesh density issue.

Default TvT map size (9km x 9km):

http://www.tanksimzw.com/images/ZW_S...rrain_mesh.jpg

Mid TvT map size (18km x 18km) as used in German missions 1-4 and Russian mission1:

http://www.tanksimzw.com/images/ZW_Mid_Terrain_mesh.jpg

Mega TvT map size (36km x 36km) used in all the Kursk missions

http://www.tanksimzw.com/images/ZW_M...rrain_mesh.jpg

And finally the Mid-Mega map size(25km x 25km) for the up coming Prokhorovka missions
and many in the future.

http://www.tanksimzw.com/images/ZW_M...rrain_mesh.jpg

Keep the feed back (good or bad) flowing!:up:

ZW

Bleser 04-27-11 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeeWolf (Post 1652166)
But there has been brought to my attention, thanks to feed back from a Komerad who enlightened me on the fact that TvT dose not put any load on the GPU. :cry:

I was stunned,:o and downloaded GPU-z and checked it out and sure enough no GPU load in the game. This never dawned on me to check. Primarily due to the sound my video card's fan makes while playing and working in TvT. The sound of the fans increase is very noticeable as with temperature a combination common to a near max-out GPU I thought. :oops:

Anyway, I have already began on a solution for this GPU problem although the solution may take a miracle and help from a code Guru but I am far from giving up on it.

So what exactly does this mean? Is TvT poorly coded to not send rendering load to the GPU? Is this also an issue with the stock game (I assume it is)?

Man, I have no idea what you're planning on doing to fix this, but it sounds daunting. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

EDIT!

I have downloaded GPU-Z myself and verified what you're talking about as well. On my system, here is what I saw:

Civilization V: 68-85% GPU Load the entire time
TvT, stock Game: 52-65% GPU Load in-game
TvT, ZeeWolf Mod: 0% GPU Load in-game

Hopefully you can compare your changes to the stock game and find it where it went wrong for the GPU load. Once fixed, maybe all the missions will then get quite respectable frame rates! Good luck, sir.

EDIT 2!

I just tried the German Mission 2 w/ZeeWolf and the GPU did show a very low load of 25-31%, never more. Also, my CPU never went above 29% load across all four cores, but I think this is expected in non-multi threaded games.

ZeeWolf 04-27-11 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleser (Post 1652232)
So what exactly does this mean? Is TvT poorly coded to not send rendering load to the GPU? Is this also an issue with the stock game (I assume it is)?

Man, I have no idea what you're planning on doing to fix this, but it sounds daunting. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

EDIT!

I have downloaded GPU-Z myself and verified what you're talking about as well. On my system, here is what I saw:

Civilization V: 68-85% GPU Load the entire time
TvT, stock Game: 52-65% GPU Load in-game
TvT, ZeeWolf Mod: 0% GPU Load in-game

Hopefully you can compare your changes to the stock game and find it where it went wrong for the GPU load. Once fixed, maybe all the missions will then get quite respectable frame rates! Good luck, sir.

EDIT 2!

I just tried the German Mission 2 w/ZeeWolf and the GPU did show a very low load of 25-31%, never more. Also, my CPU never went above 29% load across all four cores, but I think this is expected in non-multi threaded games.

Good work Bleser,
I also checked out the TVT Demo and my GPU was 60-80% which surprised me.
I also used a stock German mission 4 and put it in the Mission 7 slot
and low and behold 50-70% GPU.
The thing that comes to mind is the shader fxo files. There my have to be
one created (Just guessing). But we are in agreement a solution is there, hidden.
I will add the new mission 7 into the beta update patch I'm working on and
get that to you guys
ZW :salute:

LcSummers 04-28-11 02:24 AM

Received

Hi ZW,

thanks alot for these updates. Have tham all now. If i am right, i do not need those updates from last year when installing a fresh copy. Only the Febr. and Easter update of 2011.

Very much has changed, its really looking brilliant. I recognized the new Panther Ausf. A model. GREAT:yeah::up::salute:
There is only one glitch with it.:D I cant drive it:wah:

Not to mention the camouflage. YOU MADE IT:yeah:
Environment as always beautifull.

The F2 inside cockpit view is not working well. A hatch can be opened but everything is grey. Are you trying it for the future release ? I think so.

Made a small run with the last Kursk mission. There is just a little "bug". A T-34has been already knocked out (totally destroyed) but its not recognized on the map and the AI as "dead". Its green and the AI is is shooting at it all the time. Poor crew, they are torn in pices.
Its one of the last tanks, left side of your mission goal near houses.

No comment on swamp effect, you alredy know that.
Had to clear cache folder prior to start the Kursk mission4.

FPS is low in fact. Between 4.5 and 7.5.

Thats for the moment now.

Over and out.

LC

PS: You made a great job!