SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Wolfpack (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=277)
-   -   Will an engine room be incorporated in the future? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=240354)

Psychophoria 03-20-19 03:57 PM

Will an engine room be incorporated in the future?

Loving Wolfpack so far. But one of the first things I noticed in comparison was the lack of an engine room. Will this be added in later with updates?

Thanks!

Elphaba 04-05-19 12:05 AM

The FAQ's on Steam say no. No point as Eng would be bored senseless.

jarlemag 04-06-19 11:41 AM

I'm not convinced by that argument. Assuming bots do get implemented, you could just have the bots man the engines for convenience, or human crew for maximum realism and the ultimate "sim" experience. Also, I'm not convinced that the engine station needs to be so deathly boring. There are both diesel and electric engines that need to be switched over for example, where the timing can be critical, so an attentive and effective engine crew could mean life or death if a crash dive is needed. The engine could also need addition of lubricating oil and other maintenance tasks to keep optimal performance and/or or to avoid engine stops.

Furthermore, if torpedo rooms are implemented, the engine crew would be close to the aft torpedo tube so could potentially double as torpedo crew.

Edit: Here is a video showing how to start up a WW2 submarine diesel engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLfa43_1WH8

Doesn't look like these guys are doing "nothing"! I count at least 6 gauges to watch and 6 valves to operate. And there are *two* such engines, plus the electric engines.

wingtip 04-11-19 09:43 AM

devs have already stated in another thread in these very forums that they currently have no intentions of adding the engine room saying that it would be to boring for a player.... to me this is sad, because for role playing its critical not to mention it is pretty realistic... people would be bored to death im sure... id like to see it put in but theyve stated at this time its not happening.

Elphaba 04-11-19 10:07 AM

Some people are already complaining about the 20mins it can take to catch up to the convoy, and that they have nothing to do during the transit.

They want card games, changing light bulbs or unscrewing panels and messing with wiring as just something to do until they go pew pew...

Can you imagine how’d they react if they were in a noisy, smokey room just listening for potential engine problems with no ability to repair or patch up if found?

As a community we’re so lucky to have not just one new sub game but two released (even in early access) in the same year - it’s been dead out there really since the cluster f&&k that was SH5 - I think the ‘must be constantly doing something’ brigade will enjoy the micro management, time compression and less realism that UBoat offers, and the oldies who want to feel the tension and challenge will enjoy Wolfpack more.

I’m still buying both though. Gotta support the genre!

derstosstrupp 04-11-19 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphaba (Post 2602727)
Some people are already complaining about the 20mins it can take to catch up to the convoy, and that they have nothing to do during the transit.

They want card games, changing light bulbs or unscrewing panels and messing with wiring as just something to do until they go pew pew...

Can you imagine how’d they react if they were in a noisy, smokey room just listening for potential engine problems with no ability to repair or patch up if found?

As a community we’re so lucky to have not just one new sub game but two released (even in early access) in the same year - it’s been dead out there really since the cluster f&&k that was SH5 - I think the ‘must be constantly doing something’ brigade will enjoy the micro management, time compression and less realism that UBoat offers, and the oldies who want to feel the tension and challenge will enjoy Wolfpack more.

I’m still buying both though. Gotta support the genre!

For the downtime I propose SOP drills! Let’s try and get that dive time down etc. Takes a dedicated crew though. Former military and I miss that kind of thing, drilling for better times etc.

Elphaba 04-11-19 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derstosstrupp (Post 2602741)
For the downtime I propose SOP drills! Let’s try and get that dive time down etc. Takes a dedicated crew though. Former military and I miss that kind of thing, drilling for better times etc.

I've said the same. Getting people to stay at their stations and practice drills is surely key in the long run for great performance and tonnage... but the same kinda people don't want to do that.

I also suggested using the time to do training for the newbies, switching out to your least skilled stations or practicing nav plots against imaginary targets whilst transitting - again, no takers.

:(

But whilst not military, I've been told I naturally would be suited to that discipline and structure and certainly life in the airlines and ranks etc, drilled it into me enough. Plus being a huge Trekkie is the icing.

jarlemag 04-11-19 03:43 PM

What downtime? Either you are cruising/drifting submerged and trying to track contacts by hydrophone, or you are cruising/chasing a convoy on the surface. In neither case do you want to be diving or surfacing unnecessarily.

Dive officer is needed to keep depth (or be ready to crash dive), sonarman is needed on the hydrophones/radio, helmsman must also be ready to switch engines to electric for crash dive if on the surface. Submerged the helmsmans position is perhaps less time critical, but still speed affects depth, so without a helmsman at the controls you risk surfacing accidentally, worst case.

Any idle hands can either help man the periscope (if dived), or keep lookout on the bridge.

Doing drills and practicing as a crew is good, sure. But it doesn't make sense to do that while hunting a convoy. Unless you are already ahead of the convoy and just waiting for it to come to you.

The most sensible use of free time except for lookout duty, and which does not interfere with operation of the boat, is probably studying/practicing navigation and plotting, preferably with a practiced navigator. Or studying/practicing any of the stations, really. But you still want to keep all stations manned, and don't move the boat all willy-nilly just for practice when there is a convoy out there that doesn't wait for you.

derstosstrupp 04-11-19 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarlemag (Post 2602784)
What downtime? Either you are cruising/drifting submerged and trying to track contacts by hydrophone, or you are cruising/chasing a convoy on the surface. In neither case do you want to be diving or surfacing unnecessarily.

Dive officer is needed to keep depth (or be ready to crash dive), sonarman is needed on the hydrophones/radio, helmsman must also be ready to switch engines to electric for crash dive if on the surface. Submerged the helmsmans position is perhaps less time critical, but still speed affects depth, so without a helmsman at the controls you risk surfacing accidentally, worst case.

Any idle hands can either help man the periscope (if dived), or keep lookout on the bridge.

Doing drills and practicing as a crew is good, sure. But it doesn't make sense to do that while hunting a convoy. Unless you are already ahead of the convoy and just waiting for it to come to you.

The most sensible use of free time except for lookout duty, and which does not interfere with operation of the boat, is probably studying/practicing navigation and plotting, preferably with a practiced navigator. Or studying/practicing any of the stations, really. But you still want to keep all stations manned, and don't move the boat all willy-nilly just for practice when there is a convoy out there that doesn't wait for you.

Valid point. Definitely something for a time not chasing a convoy. So a session from time to time could be devoted to practice and kept separate from an engagement (or after you’ve sunk em all, of course:03:).

Elphaba 04-11-19 05:18 PM

Start a Wolfpack with two subs and practice approach drills and plots on each other, taking turns.

But I've had conversations with others who didn't want to train each other, didn't want to man their assigned station and didn't want to practice drills or nav plots but who then complain there's nothing to do in the 20mins - 1hr it takes to get into position.

/smh I know, I know... but they're the ones who advocate time jumps and time compression to get out of the "boring bits" to the "action" bits.

:k_confused:

jdski 04-11-19 07:38 PM

Personally I would like an engine room, batteries, torpedo room, galley, head, bunks,sausages, banana's and hams tied up and swinging around. I would like the complete sub modeled and would even pay extra for it. But I understand it might not be a high priority. I just hope they aren't 100% set on never ever modeling any of those things.

Pisces 04-12-19 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphaba (Post 2602791)
Start a Wolfpack with two subs and practice approach drills and plots on each other, taking turns.

But I've had conversations with others who didn't want to train each other, didn't want to man their assigned station and didn't want to practice drills or nav plots but who then complain there's nothing to do in the 20mins - 1hr it takes to get into position.

/smh I know, I know... but they're the ones who advocate time jumps and time compression to get out of the "boring bits" to the "action" bits.

:k_confused:

That's not the reason I suggested it. My idea of a challenging Hunt is tail-chasing 8-23 hours (game world time) before you even reach it. Then the other fun part starts. But there are only so many hours that fit in a day.

(that number is based on my SH3 gameplay; and I may be a bit masochistic about that)

MADLOU 04-12-19 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdski (Post 2602805)
Personally I would like an engine room, batteries, torpedo room, galley, head, bunks,sausages, banana's and hams tied up and swinging around. I would like the complete sub modeled and would even pay extra for it. But I understand it might not be a high priority. I just hope they aren't 100% set on never ever modeling any of those things.

Sounds like you would enjoy the new UBoat game which has all those features.

Insofar as Wolfpack is concerned, after they implement the bots for the various stations, I would play the captain and act the same way the real captains did while waiting for contacts. I would do other things around the house such as read, eat, converse with others, play other games, relax, etc while keeping an ear out for any contact information. I would then respond to those contacts.

I have a nice set of wireless headphones which allows me to walk out around most of the house so I wouldn't have to be tied to the computer while waiting.

jdski 04-12-19 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADLOU (Post 2602937)
Sounds like you would enjoy the new UBoat game which has all those features.

Insofar as Wolfpack is concerned, after they implement the bots for the various stations, I would play the captain and act the same way the real captains did while waiting for contacts. I would do other things around the house such as read, eat, converse with others, play other games, relax, etc while keeping an ear out for any contact information. I would then respond to those contacts.

I have a nice set of wireless headphones which allows me to walk out around most of the house so I wouldn't have to be tied to the computer while waiting.

I plan on getting Uboat as well. I'm not too concerned with the bots as I have been able to run the boat by myself and get at least two kills before having to escape and move back ahead of the convoy for another attack.
I would just love to have the rest of the sub modeled in full. If it was, then I might need the bots to load the torps etc.

Edmund 04-22-19 10:22 PM

I vote for full sub model

I'm also in favour of the entire sub being modelled in the game. :up:
Even if parts of it is only "eye-candy" I still would want it.
That way the game could also be seen as a virtual museum boat.
A lot of people will never have the opportunity to go to Kiel to visit U-995, but they could get this game and then get to see what a U-boat really looks like on the inside.
(Some people are making "S/S Titanic" as a virtual museum, and it's so cool to wander about the ship even if you can't interact with it. Search for "Titanic Honor and Glory" on YouTube to see it. Wolfpack could be the same for U-995)

I also liked the engine room in "Marulken", and I think they should consider bringing that over to Wolfpack too.