SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   GWX 3.0 keeps crashing (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=206112)

California-781 07-26-13 10:25 PM

GWX 3.0 keeps crashing

I was playing GWX 3.0 and paused the game and when i came back there was a black screen with the words "initializing". I pressed the escape button and it crashed to the desktop, I then clicked on the game to play it and about halfway through loading it crashed again. I tried playing it through the SH3 Commander and running as administrator but as far as it will go is the loading screen and then it crashes and says, "Windows is checking for a solution.' Please help.

Ligne Maginot 07-27-13 02:09 AM

I'm not exactly an expert, but GWX 3.0 comes with mods to be loaded in a certain order. Also, if you use SH3 Commander there are options that must be unlocked. Recommendations:

1. - Prepares a clean installation.
2. - Read the Manual, to install properly the mods that came with GWX 3.0.
3. - Search which options of SH3 Commander are compatible with GWX 3.0.(I do not remember right now).

By the way up your list of mods, maybe there is a conflict with any of them.

Regards.:salute:

Fubar2Niner 07-27-13 04:23 AM

@California-781

From your post I assume things were working ok and this issue has just started? If not, did you install the commander config files for GWX? Regarding the 'initializing' message, last time I see this it was a video driver error. It appeared as so 'Cannot initialize 3d engine'.

This maybe a shot in the dark but perhaps try different video drivers.... What card and drivers do you currently use?

Are you using the rezfix?

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

California-781 07-27-13 10:41 AM

Well for starters i have the latest version of SH3 Commander which is SH3 Commander 3.2 and yes the game was working fine before. My card however is a different story. I don't exactly have the best of hardware but it ran SH3 fine before and its suppose to be able to run SH4 as well. Anyway here are its specs.

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E6500 2.9GHz
GPU: Intel Chipsets, G41 Express Chipsets
and 4gb of RAM

BigWalleye 07-27-13 12:41 PM

Have you installed "GWX3.0 Config files for SH3CMDR3.2" from http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=2923? If not, that could be your problem. The combination of SH3 Commander and GWX3 will not work reliably without installing these files into Commander.

California-781 07-27-13 02:49 PM

Thanks, I will try it.

California-781 07-27-13 03:37 PM

It didn't work although at least i have it now. Should I try re-installing the game and GWX 3 all over again?

BigWalleye 07-27-13 04:42 PM

California-781, could you post your mod list, please? Have you installed the 4GB fix?

A clean install never hurts. I suggest you use a registry cleaner when you do. And don't forget to delete your mods folder. Save the mods to another folder, but DO delete the <gamefolder>\Mods. DON'T save any of the JSGME-created folders. Also delete your saved-game related folders in \User.

I am concerned that your on-board graphics chipset may not be up to the task. Anyone else know more about this?

California-781 07-27-13 04:52 PM

Probably shouldnt have them all activated but i do.

16km Atmosphere
Alternate Loadscreen - -Full Circle
Alternative Flotillas
Axis Mediterranean Aircraft Skins
Black Sea Campaign Files Only
Captain Americas Officer Icons
Enhanced Damage Effects
Fix French
Integrated Orders
Late War Sensors Snorkel Antennas
Main movie - 'Das Boot'
No Medals on Crew
Open Hatch Mod
VIIC41 Player Sub
English Nav Map and Grid Refs
Indian Ocean Campaign Files Only
Lite Harbor Traffic
Merged Capaign

but no 4gb fix.

Ligne Maginot 07-27-13 06:34 PM

Reinforcements have arrived, but if you use "Alternative Flotillas", you have to start a game in that flotilla indicated. If you are using "VIIC41 Player Sub" have to use the VIIC41. The "Merged Capaign" is used only if you plan to move you to that flotilla (towards India). And the 4GB fix, is used only if you use mods demanding.

I play with "NYGM" and "MFM-Lite-Beta-v4", not use the 4gb fix.

Long live to the NYGM.

BigWalleye 07-27-13 07:08 PM

Linea Maginot, I don't think the 4GB patch will cause any harm, and, based on some of the threads I've seen, some systems require it just to run GWX. The 4GB fix is available here: http://www.lsh3.com/v5/tools_en.html

California-781, you have several mods loaded that are doing you no good, and potentially could cause problems:

16km Atmosphere - OK
Alternate Loadscreen - -Full Circle - OK
Alternative Flotillas – should only use if you are playing in the 3rd Flotilla
Axis Mediterranean Aircraft Skins – should only use if you are playing in the Med
Black Sea Campaign Files Only – should only use if you are playing in Black Sea theater
Captain Americas Officer Icons - OK
Enhanced Damage Effects - OK
Fix French – shouldn’t use unless you are playing in French language
Integrated Orders - OK
Late War Sensors Snorkel Antennas – should only use when upgrading to one of these
Main movie - 'Das Boot' - OK
No Medals on Crew - OK
Open Hatch Mod - OK
VIIC41 Player Sub – should only use if you are using a VIIc41 boat
English Nav Map and Grid Refs - OK
Indian Ocean Campaign Files Only – should only use if playing in Indian Ocean theater
Lite Harbor Traffic - OK
Merged Campaign – should only use if you are going to transit from Atlantic to Med or IO

The campaigns shouldn't cause any problems, as they will overwrite one another and you will be left with the last mod activated - Merged Campaign. It will just take you longer to activate your mod load. Some of the others can cause problems. Alternative Flotillas apparently will if you also select "Use historic U-boat availability dates" in SH3 Commander.

I strongly encourage you to read the section on mods in the GWX manual. It tells what the mod does, its compatibilities, and limitations.

California-781 07-27-13 07:50 PM

So should i just re-install and just use the mods that are ok? I've also just downloaded the 4GB patch.

California-781 07-27-13 08:15 PM

Well I just re-installed SH3 and even with a fresh new install its still crashing, I've deleted the SH3 Commander hoping that would help and JSGME, but still nothing. Now the loading bar doesn't even go halfway before crashing. Any ideas?

BigWalleye 07-27-13 09:36 PM

I'm grasping at straws now, and don't mean to insult your competence, but did you remove absolutely all files associated with the game, including saved game files? And did you clean the registry?

California-781 07-27-13 09:44 PM

I'm deleting any remaining files as of now.