SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   On Immersive gameplay - Realism (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=244218)

Hjeltnes 03-17-20 05:12 PM

On Immersive gameplay - Realism

Hello Captains! Young Capatain in the making here!

I'm the kind of guy who loves to immerse himself in videogames. Skyrim, Morrowind, WarThunder, and especially Silent Hunter. I've been using TMO together with RSRDC for awhile and I've been absolutely loving it.

But just the other day I was reading through the forums, when I came across this quote by Rockin Robbins:

"Realism is in how you play, not in the game settings"

This had me wondering, how do YOU play to immerse yourself in SH4? Any tips and tricks you want to share? I want to hear it all!

:Kaleun_Cheers:

KaleunMarco 03-17-20 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hjeltnes (Post 2655209)
Hello Captains! Young Capatain in the making here!

I'm the kind of guy who loves to immerse himself in videogames. Skyrim, Morrowind, WarThunder, and especially Silent Hunter. I've been using TMO together with RSRDC for awhile and I've been absolutely loving it.

But just the other day I was reading through the forums, when I came across this quote by Rockin Robbins:

"Realism is in how you play, not in the game settings"

This had me wondering, how do YOU play to immerse yourself in SH4? Any tips and tricks you want to share? I want to hear it all!

:Kaleun_Cheers:

RR was being philosophic.
you are playing a game at a desk...safely at home.
there is no realism.:har:
ever visited a WWII sub? board one and go below. imagine being assigned to one and spending 60 days at sea with the same 80 guys. there is no way to duplicate that short of doing it.
please do not think me arrogant. just saying that we are doing with SH4 is having fun...don't read too much into it.
SH4 has many qualities that allow a player to have some fun...emulating being the CO of a sub.
if you want "realism", don't use the Time Compression and go out on patrol.:salute:
my apologies if this response sounds contemptuous, it is not. i've spent hundreds of hours playing.
have fun....
:Kaleun_Salute:

Randomizer 03-17-20 10:14 PM

RR is correct, you bring your own realism to whatever your game is and the same is true for so-called immersion.

Realism and Immersion are two of the biggest red herrings in gaming. They basically mean whatever the beholder wants them to mean and anything that nebulous has to be useless as a descriptor for anything substantive.

I still find that Aces of the Deep can be immersive even with its chunky graphics and tinny sound track. For others it's oh-ah graphics or a sound and light spectacular. Realism comes from what you do or not do in the context of the gaming situation rather than coming from the developer or modder.

If you're immersed in any of the SH franchise; great. For the chimera of realism, see KalunMarco's post above.

$0.02 CAD.

-C

Vox165 03-18-20 07:35 AM

For realism,I read first- person eyewitness historic accounts of those who were there. Books like "Clear the Bridge"by Richard O'Kane is well known on this forum.

Novels can fill in the gaps. Edward Beach's novels like "Run Silent, Run Deep" ( The book NOT the movie) , "Dust on the Sea" and more. His fiction reads like nonfiction at times because Capt. Beach was there too. Of course, when I switch to SH3 absolutely nothing beats a rereading of "Das Boot" .

Ingame I try to get away from the map and out on the bridge and look around. If you use headphones (recommend) try this: After making your shot on a dark stormy night, submerge, and follow the sound of your torps by hydrophone all the way to target -or Not! -Vox

Armistead 03-18-20 06:33 PM

For actual game realism when I played I would use cams off, contacts on. Your crew would be feeding you most the info you get with contacts on. Nothing like being depth charged without being able to see what's going on up there.

Macgregor the Hammer 03-19-20 09:34 PM

Realism is an abstract we can try to put ourselves into a a submariner. All it means for me is using the least amount of help from the AI. There is no way I can feel what it's like to be depth charged. We might have some reference points from our own lives to use, like combat, but we are not going to feel the terror.

I play the hand that is dealt. If it means loosing a favorite captain, so be it. I try to learn from my failures. I think reality is playing the spirit of the game.

FWIW :salute:

bstanko6 03-19-20 10:19 PM

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=239796

Enjoy!

les green01 03-20-20 01:53 AM

depends how die hard you want to be i use no tc if im playing out of pearl stopping at midway to resuplied i wait several hours before leaving,early war years i forget what i know about the torpedo's problems and go with what they had to do,red light bulb in my desk lamp Next i'm the Captain your crew is suppose to be well train not my job to do it for them,for the sugar boats i use a mod websters s-class mod he did a great job making the s-boats way they was and with them i dont use tdc rest of it is like the link bstanko6 put in