SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   GWX (Grey Wolves eXpansion Mod) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=102096)

CaptainD 11-29-12 01:18 AM

Hi!
I am living in France and it took me a long time (3 to 4 hours) to Dl the whole mod and I have a good connection.
I thought that it was because the server had a limited bandwith... Maybe...
But the important thing that I got it and can now play with it:up:
By the way I noted a message which might be curious for french navy fans:
A "SSS" signal from a steamer "PLUVOISE".
I think the real name is "PLUVIOSE".
It is in the "x:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Campaigns\Campa ign\messages_en.txt" and "x:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Campaigns\Campa ign\messages_fr.txt".
That's also misspelled in the "GWX - Fix French".
"PLUVIOSE" was the name of a french submarine who was sink after collision with french steamer "Pas de calais" in 1910. Her whole crew of 27 was killed.
Another curious thing is that the name was wrongly written in the "New-York Times" of the period.:know:

If this post is misplaced, feel free to move it at the right place.
Just tell me where it will be put.

Jimbuna 11-29-12 05:34 AM

I'll see to it that you get a full refund immediately :):03:

HW3 11-29-12 02:30 PM

Hi CaptainD,

I found this on Wikipedia
Quote:

On 5 September 1939 U-38 stopped the French ship Pluvoise, examined her papers and released her. Pluvoise broadcast the event, which would warn others of the U-boat. Liebe was reprimanded.
Apparently there was a French merchant ship using that name during WW2, or the German's misspelled it in their log book. The SSS signals are actual radio messages received and recorded during WW2.

:salute:

Sailor Steve 11-29-12 03:11 PM

Wiki has it wrong, at least in this listing. The correct spelling is Pluviôse, and apparently this Wiki article is correct.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluvi%C3%B4se

Oh, I also had it wrong in the Ship Names mod. It is now corrected for the next release, which is in two days. Thanks, CaptD. Unfortunately I can't do anything about the message in SH3 except fix it for myself. On the other hand, maybe the tanker's own radioman got it wrong. He was in kind of a hurry. :sunny:

Jimbuna 11-29-12 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1968180)
On the other hand, maybe the tanker's own radioman got it wrong. He was in kind of a hurry. :sunny:

Rock on :rock:

CaptainD 11-30-12 12:27 AM

Hi!
Not a problem for me.
I made the modifications in my own install.
I made a search on the net but found no french steamer of the time with the names "Pluviôse" or "Pluvoise".
The first one is more possible because it mean something in french history as noted by Steve.
By the way this message is only sent in September 1939 and had no effect on the events.:up:

Sailor Steve 11-30-12 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainD (Post 1968359)
I made a search on the net but found no french steamer of the time with the names "Pluviôse" or "Pluvoise".

This is why I buy so many books for my research. Pluviôse was a steam tanker launched in 1931, 9561 GRT. She was seized by the Germans in 1940 and renamed Bitonto. Scuttled at Marseille in August 1944, she was raised after the war and broken up.

CaptainD 11-30-12 07:40 AM

Thanks Jim for the info.
Maybe this tanker was named from the sunken submarine.

Luno 12-04-12 04:38 AM

Hi, it's me again.

I wiped SHIII from my computer, and deleted all folders from every install, including those in the documents folder.

I started with a fresh install of the SHIII, turned on compatibility mode and administrator permissions, ran the game, changed speech to German, and ran a test mission. Everything was OK.

I then applied multi-SHIII, ran the program as an administrator which created the GWX folder, and I ran the game and mission again to test: everything was peachy.

Lastly, I installed GWX, ran the same thing, and the speech and other sound effects have gone. Only ambient sounds play. Thankfully, my stock SHIII still works. If I go into the sounds folder and play the oog files, everything seems ok, so no files are missing or corrupted, I think. I tried setting the speech language to English and French, they are still muted, along with flak bursts, explosions, etc.

Ideas? Thanks.

EDIT - Nevermind. I'm an idiot. It seems to be related to using the new shortcut. If I use the .exe from the root folder, it works fine.

Jimbuna 12-04-12 09:43 AM

SINK EM ALL!! http://www.psionguild.org/forums/ima...ies/pirate.gif

CaptainD 12-04-12 01:20 PM

That's just I said somewhere in the forum, sometimes we have the fingers too big for the keyboard:03:

Jimbuna 12-04-12 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainD (Post 1970441)
That's just I said somewhere in the forum, sometimes we have the fingers too big for the keyboard:03:

I think we're all guilty of that at some time or other :)

REDSKULL_00 12-25-12 10:11 PM

Manfred Redskull is returning to Duty!

It has been a few years.. lots of new and exciting mods.. cant wait to try :):salute:

u crank 12-26-12 09:10 AM

Welcome back Manfred. :salute:

Jimbuna 12-26-12 09:13 AM

Enjoy the GWXperience :sunny: