SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Classic Subsims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   GMT Games Silent Victory Board Game (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=243819)

avrak 02-09-20 04:05 AM

GMT Games Silent Victory Board Game

GMT Games is finally printing and shipping copies of their solo board games Silent Victory, The Hunters, and The Hunted. I ordered all three and can't want to play them.

Has anyone else played these games? I'm really interested in doing a complete German war campaign starting with Hunters and following up with the Hunted with the high difficulty level late-war. :subsim:

Jeffg 02-09-20 05:12 PM

I bought Silent war board game for XMAS but have not played it yet. I hear good things about your board games . Let me know how they are.

JeffG

derstosstrupp 02-09-20 07:46 PM

I’ve played Hunters quite a bit. The mechanics truly deliver the “sweaty palm” feeling during DC attacks!

Also, Beery, whom some old hats on here may remember as the creator of the first supermod for SH3 - Real U-boat (which evolved into NYGM), created a “mega mod” for the Hunters! Check on boardgamegeek.com under the file section for that great stuff. Rule modifications to make the game a bit more realistic.

avrak 02-09-20 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derstosstrupp (Post 2648602)
I’ve played Hunters quite a bit. The mechanics truly deliver the “sweaty palm” feeling during DC attacks!

This is exactly what I was hoping for. It seems like the game received excellent reviews on Board Game Geek.

Quote:

Originally Posted by derstosstrupp (Post 2648602)
Also, Beery, whom some old hats on here may remember as the creator of the first supermod for SH3 - Real U-boat (which evolved into NYGM), created a “mega mod” for the Hunters! Check on boardgamegeek.com under the file section for that great stuff. Rule modifications to make the game a bit more realistic.

Awesome! I'll give it a look.

John Pancoast 02-10-20 11:59 AM

If it's a GMT product, it should be a great game.

John Pancoast 02-10-20 12:04 PM

Btw, if I'm not mistaken, the Gregory Smith who designed these games used to be with HPS Simulations too.

avrak 02-15-20 06:12 PM

Well, I received all three games yesterday afternoon and played my first patrol just now with Silent Victory. I have to say...damn. This is a good game.

Started in December 1941 with a Tambor class sub at Pearl Harbor. I was issued my first patrol in the Empire sea and encountered three separate convoys during the patrol. One of the lone freighters that I encountered was struck by four torpedoes, all but one was a a dud. And the impacted torpedo rolled the lowest possible damage. My second round of combat fired two torps, both missing. Finally, on my third round, fired two more with one missing and the other striking and sinking it.

That dud torpedo roll (1d6 where 1-4 is a dud) is brutal.

The game strikes me as having excellent historical accuracy. I'll be having a lot of fun with these games. :up: