SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   XXI type modding (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=239350)

Alex Stolz 12-08-18 03:54 AM

XXI type modding

Ahoy, all the captains!
I guess that everyone who played XXI type was bitterly disappointed with the fragility of its hull which easily cracks after depth charges explosions.
The question is what values in the Zones file should I change (there are a lot) in order to make XXI type's hull much more durable?

Hebe Vollmaus 12-08-18 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Stolz (Post 2580764)
Ahoy, all the captains!
I guess that everyone who played XXI type was bitterly disappointed with the fragility of its hull which easily cracks after depth charges explosions.
The question is what values in the Zones file should I change (there are a lot) in order to make XXI type's hull much more durable?

I was only angry of the low AP Shells of the Guns. They react more like a mosquito bite.

Have you made Tests with all Boats?
All Boats against Hedgehogs?

Greetings.

Alex Stolz 12-08-18 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hebe Vollmaus (Post 2580770)
I was only angry of the low AP Shells of the Guns. They react more like a mosquito bite.

Have you made Tests with all Boats?
All Boats against Hedgehogs?

Greetings.

I don't have any specific experience about hedgehogs, but the general rule is IXDII has the strongest hull in the game. You can dive as deep as 280 meters and sustain numerous depth charges hits.
Historically, XXI type could dive deeper, and it really does in the game. But in the game the strongest sub is the most vulnerable. This is a nonsense from my perspective.
Returning to the moding stuff, I've changed the values of Boxes of the NSS_Uboat21.zon file simply coping the values of the IXDII type, but I failed. I did something that the attacking periscope of the moded XXI type cannot reach the surface. Obviously the reason is that XXI is higher than IX type.

PS. Unfortunately, I cannot upload an image of the NSS_Uboat21.zon file at the moment.

stork100 12-08-18 07:33 PM

If I'm understanding correctly regarding the periscope depth issue, I think you could adjust the value in the submarine's .cfg file.

Dirk Gently 12-08-18 07:46 PM

It has the strongest hull in the game but it's also the largest target of the submarines, which makes it easier to hit with depth charges unless you use underwater speed to your advantage.

If you're running certain mods, most of them have removed the hull armor advantage of the XXI for some reason, which makes it as fragile as the default Type IIA.

You can adjust these settings in NSS_Uboat21.zon with SH3ditor or a similar tool.

PS. If memory serves me right, I believe the armor value for XXI is 18 by default and set to 10 in most Supermods.