SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [TEC] Import/export 3D models to/from game using S3D. (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=135177)

LukeFF 05-01-08 03:34 PM

Update: I found out the reason why I can't open these OBJ files is apparently because I don't have a plugin to open these files (I have Version 3 of 3DS). I'd be very grateful if anyone could help me without with this. :)

Raptor1 05-01-08 03:50 PM

3d Studio MAX 3? That's before it was even under Discreet wasn't it?

Either get a newer version of Max, Or get another program (Dunno if Gmax can import them, try Wings 3D or Blender)

Snaptrap 05-08-08 12:06 AM

I've come to discover that 3DSM is the worst piece of crap program out there. Useless under Vista and even worse with x64.

LukeFF 05-08-08 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaptrap
I've come to discover that 3DSM is the worst piece of crap program out there. Useless under Vista and even worse with x64.

There's your problem. 3DS Max is a very good program and is used by many developers these days.

Snaptrap 05-08-08 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeFF
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaptrap

There's your problem. 3DS Max is a very good program and is used by many developers these days.

They're probably still running XP or Leopard. Thankfully I found something better for texturizing models. :rock:

HELLISH1 03-19-10 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaptrap (Post 858815)
They're probably still running XP or Leopard. Thankfully I found something better for texturizing models. :rock:

3ds max 2010 works great with sd3, on all platforms as long as you have the sp1 and the hot fix that followed. Only one hotfix after sp1, easy to find:rock:

HELLISH1 03-19-10 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeFF (Post 854011)
Update: I found out the reason why I can't open these OBJ files is apparently because I don't have a plugin to open these files (I have Version 3 of 3DS). I'd be very grateful if anyone could help me without with this. :)

FBX plug-in fixes that problem:rock:

von faust 11-03-10 02:45 AM

A .dat file "contains" many 3D models.
It's possible to export multiple 3D model in one step and not individually one by one ?

jjones100 11-09-10 05:47 AM

Guys I have tried out exporting an existing 3d model of the Richelieu battleship in order to try out a few things such as making a super-Richelieu ship with double the size of the original ship model's hull. I used the 3d modeling software called Softimage XSI and it imports existing 3d models with relative ease as well as allowing for the quick rescaling etc of the imported 3d model. When I saved the newly uniformed scaled model and reimported it back into the 3deditor software, it worked perfectly when I tested out from the software's render viewport window. However what I would like to ask guys who have more experience about such 3d modeling/texturing work is what can be done to prevent the original texture from coming out stretched/squashed in various places on the rendered 3d model if I just try and perform a non-uniform scale of the model along one coordinate axis instead of a full uniformed scaled along all 3 axes when say I want to just lengthen the existing hull of a ship instead of performing a full whole uniformed scale.

iambecomelife 11-09-10 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjones100 (Post 1532322)
Guys I have tried out exporting an existing 3d model of the Richelieu battleship in order to try out a few things such as making a super-Richelieu ship with double the size of the original ship model's hull. I used the 3d modeling software called Softimage XSI and it imports existing 3d models with relative ease as well as allowing for the quick rescaling etc of the imported 3d model. When I saved the newly uniformed scaled model and reimported it back into the 3deditor software, it worked perfectly when I tested out from the software's render viewport window. However what I would like to ask guys who have more experience about such 3d modeling/texturing work is what can be done to prevent the original texture from coming out stretched/squashed in various places on the rendered 3d model if I just try and perform a non-uniform scale of the model along one coordinate axis instead of a full uniformed scaled along all 3 axes when say I want to just lengthen the existing hull of a ship instead of performing a full whole uniformed scale.

You will probably have to re-UV map the 3d object to prevent these distortions. This can be difficult because large, complex models can sometimes crash your 3d modeling program. For wings3d, which I use, you right click the faces that you want retextured and select "UV Mapping" from the tab that appears. A 2d arrangement of the UV map will then pop up, and you can adjust it to your satisfaction. Wings3d lets you apply the texture to the model as it's rendered so that you can see what it will look like ingame - most other programs probably have this feature, too.

ZigmundFreund 11-29-10 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HELLISH1 (Post 1324447)
3ds max 2010 works great with sd3, on all platforms as long as you have the sp1 and the hot fix that followed. Only one hotfix after sp1, easy to find:rock:

When you write 3ds max 2010 what is the exact version you are talking aboot? ver. 9 'ish?

Madox58 11-29-10 06:33 PM

3Ds Max 2008 is version 10 so version 12 would be 2010.
Unless AutoDesk decided to change things again.
Just following the proper 'Nameing' is a test in and of itself.
Some versions you Capitalize one thing,
then latter versions you capitalize others.
:doh:

Yamato_NF 12-13-10 08:55 PM

ProEngineer: is is compatable?

hi...
ive been wondering reading all of this.
is it possible to use proEngineer to model SH4 ships?
it is a very powerful Parametric Design tool, and i use it for School,
i would like to use it for SH4 models
Reguards, :salute:
Yamato_NF

sidslotm 07-26-11 12:21 PM

good tutorial this, thanks.

Kpt_Kipp 11-16-11 07:39 AM

S!

when I'm going to export a ship I realized that ALL is not selected so pls How I have to select ALL?
and where turret guns are?
can you help pls?

regards