SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   SH3 on Steam (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=245135)

Stryker412 05-17-20 01:57 PM

SH3 on Steam

Afternoon all, been a LONG time since I've had SH3 installed. I originally played years ago using the disc version. However, now I also have the Steam version. I'm using Win10 but can't seem to get the game to get past the two intro videos. It just loads to a black screen. I followed the guide on Steam and have it set to XP v3 compatibility with the resolution fix, but I still can't get it to load. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Texas Red 05-17-20 02:50 PM

Try overriding the DPI scaling.

VirtualVikingX 05-18-20 02:31 AM

I downloaded SH3 from Steam yesterday. Cant evene get it to run, no error messages. Just scales the screen, black screen for a couple of seconds. Then back to deskop.

Tried messing with the compatability-settings, but no luck.

Tips and help welcome!

Levyathan89 05-18-20 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirtualVikingX (Post 2671349)
I downloaded SH3 from Steam yesterday. Cant evene get it to run, no error messages. Just scales the screen, black screen for a couple of seconds. Then back to deskop.

Tried messing with the compatability-settings, but no luck.

Tips and help welcome!

Do you run the sh3.exe as an administrator? If not, you could try that.

You could also try patching the sh3.exe with H.Sies V16B patch kit.

Bertgang 05-23-20 03:32 AM

I'm a lucky old boy, now I have a working steam version on my new desktop :)
I don't know how or why, better hardware and windows 10 magically solved all past compatibility issues.
Sadly I'm really rusty because of long abstinence.

Von Manteuffel 05-23-20 06:33 PM

I must be blessed. I have recently installed the Steam Version of SH3 on my PC under Windows 10 and - so far, touch wood - have not encountered any problems. The only things I did were:

a) run the game directly from the SH3.exe file in Steam Library/Steamapps/Common/Silent Hunter 3 folder. I just right-clicked on the .exe and sent a copy/link to my desktop.

b)run the SH3.exe as an administrator.

I'm currently playing around with War Ace Campaign 5.1 (5.2 crashed on loading saves) with Optimised ARB Wide Gui 1920x1080 and Complete Sound for WACS.

I have noticed that sometimes SH3 Commander seems to crash my game near the end of loading a save, but loading that same save without going through SH3 Commander to run the game seems fine.

Sorry, but I have no explanation, or, sadly, help to offer those having problems with Steam's SH3, except the very basics of NOT installing in Programme Files (Steam Library should be a totally separate folder on your drive); verifying game files through Steam etc.

All the best with it.:salute: