SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Classic Subsims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Destroyer Command Language change? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=244325)

Kapitän SilentBob 03-26-20 07:57 AM

Destroyer Command Language change?

Hello there,

I'm new to the forum and want to say hi. I love retro games of all kind, so I really enjoy Silent Hunter II and Destroyer Command and of course the famous Silent Hunter III (Can you consider it as retro? from 2005? I don't know :haha:)

So last time I installed 'Destroyer Command' on my pc again and want to sink some subs :03:. Unfortunatly it is the german version of DC. So the English Language Files are not in the Speech folder. Is there a Mod which replaces the german speech sounds with the english ones? Playing an american destroyer with a german crew is not very authentic in my opinion. :hmmm:

Greetings and thank you

SilentBob :Kaleun_Salute:

Pisces 03-26-20 10:39 AM

It does sound like the perfect storyline for a reversed-copycat of the movie U-571. ;)

(Sorry, never messed with language files in Destroyer Command.)

Vox165 03-28-20 07:18 AM

Sorry, I cant help you. Although, English copies should be easy to get. I recently installed DC to Win 7 / 64 bit / SSD/ Nvidia GTX1660 and it runs and looks great. Win 10 should work too.
Retro sims often do some things better.

DC is unique as the only serious first person destroyer sim. i like that it models the depth charge , torpedo, main guns , and AA stations,. Night surface actions up the slot and laying down depth charges on subs are challenging. Best of all you can design and edit your own missions.

Kapitän SilentBob 03-28-20 09:20 AM

Hi there,

First, thank you two for your replies :). It is hard to find solutions for games that are twenty years and older these days. :haha: I really appreciate the time people spent to keep them alive. :salute:

@Pisces
Yeah :haha: That is true. Would be also a good roleplay-campaign for DC :03:

@Vox165
Yeah DC is very unique. I can't think of a game that is like it. The compability with SHII was an interesting concept for the time. I mean they are not just arcade-like naval games which only focused on fighting, instead they are simulating the command of an entire ship (of course with some aspects that are not included or could not represented by a computer :haha:). I always liked the atmosphere in the Silent Hunter Series.

Well the german language doesn't bother me in the game very much, not so much that I would buy me another Version of DC. The quality of voice acting is okay for the time. I would only prefer the english sounds for historical accuracy thats all. :03: