SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Helosim.com and Flight Sims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=216)
-   -   DCS Flight Nights (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=182296)

Arclight 04-13-2014 08:27 PM

That explains something... Raptor, you're carrying the wrong bloody missiles. The IR seekers don't do force correlate tracking. CCD or forget about it. :P

Thought Schroeder was just being targeted by ATGM, my laser warning lit up at the same time. Switched to GTFO tactics, heard an explosion behind and figured it was him, but aparently he was much further from me. :hmmm:


On the SEAD thing: may have been the target. There's a large early warning radar placed there, which I seem to recall not playing nice with the Kh-58. Either it's not modeled properly because it's not technically air defence, or the missile really can't target a radar on that bandwith. The latter is not as unlikely as it sounds:
Quote:

Like other Soviet missiles of the time, the Kh-58 could be fitted with a range of seeker heads designed to target specific air defence radars ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kh-58

Raptor1 04-14-2014 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arclight (Post 2197235)
That explains something... Raptor, you're carrying the wrong bloody missiles. The IR seekers don't do force correlate tracking. CCD or forget about it. :P

I know. I probably loaded the IR ones by accident, since I keep confusing the AGM-65D and the AGM-65H. Strange that I didn't notice I had the IR seekers when I was using them, but they worked well enough in the end, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Arclight 04-14-2014 06:41 AM

Shaves a couple of miles off the range though. I've already downgraded the air defenses over a previous version for practice; trying to SEAD with the D/G is going to get you killed in any kind of "serious" scenario.

Oberon 04-14-2014 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arclight (Post 2197235)
On the SEAD thing: may have been the target. There's a large early warning radar placed there, which I seem to recall not playing nice with the Kh-58. Either it's not modeled properly because it's not technically air defence, or the missile really can't target a radar on that bandwith. The latter is not as unlikely as it sounds:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kh-58

Entirely possible, but I switched targets to the smaller radar near a ring of AAA and it still refused to launch which is a tad odd. I'll have to do some more experimenting with the Froggie offline sometime.

Still, in regards to other missions I'm open for suggestions, I have the Ka-50 fairly much covered in regards to Vikhir operations, although manoeuvring is perhaps still a bit of a weak spot in particular hovering but some offline practising will probably fix that. Our line up basically consists of:

Me: A10C, Su25, Ka-50
Hunter: Su-25, Ka-50
Raptor: A10C, Su-25, Ka-50
Arclight: A10C, Su-25, Ka-50
TF: A10C, Su-25
Schroeder: UH-1, Su-25

So whatever mission we choose has to have some kind of setup of those, I know Schroeder doesn't like the Froggie, so finding some way to incorporate the Huey will be needed, perhaps as an SAR for whenever we get shot down. It's a shame that we can't program in something that prevents respawn until Schroeder can rescue you, although Raptor would have been completely SOL last night. :haha:

Raptor1 04-14-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arclight (Post 2197336)
Shaves a couple of miles off the range though. I've already downgraded the air defenses over a previous version for practice; trying to SEAD with the D/G is going to get you killed in any kind of "serious" scenario.

True. Though in any kind of serious scenario I'd send an aircraft with actual SEAD capabilities to take out the SAMs anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberon (Post 2197340)
So whatever mission we choose has to have some kind of setup of those, I know Schroeder doesn't like the Froggie, so finding some way to incorporate the Huey will be needed, perhaps as an SAR for whenever we get shot down. It's a shame that we can't program in something that prevents respawn until Schroeder can rescue you, although Raptor would have been completely SOL last night. :haha:

We can just decide that we don't respawn until rescued, there's no real need to actually script it. Though it would have been a lot more practical if downed pilots could move at a speed of slightly more than two snail-lengths per hour, so moving to a safe area on foot is more practical.

I think the problem with a dedicated SAR aircraft is that to justify it missions would have to be both long and deadly. Otherwise by the time rescue becomes necessary and is accomplished the mission is basically over.

Oberon 04-14-2014 02:31 PM

So, how's about this then. We run the training mission one more time, but with these roles in place.

Hunter: Ka-50 ground attack
Arclight: Ka-50 ground attack
Oberon: Ka-50 ground attack
Raptor: Ka-50 ground attack
Schroeder: Huey SAR
Zirran: Huey SAR
Task Force: A10/Su25 SEAD

We set mission start at 20:45Z (21:45BST) so that we're all gathered and any late arrivals have a chance to arrive and setup before we go, and then the Kamovs pair off into two pairs, they go for the convoy with the Huey lurking behind, while the A10/Su-25 starts nailing the airfield SAM defences. With the convoy taken care of, the Kamovs then head for the airfield to join the A10/Su-25 in clearing a path for the friendly convoy.
Anyone who is shot down has to wait until the SAR can pick them up and return them to the airfield before they can respawn (basically Schroeder/Zirran will land near you and then take off back to the airfield, when they land at the airfield, then respawn) but if the SAR is shot down then consider yourself a POW and respawn anyway.

If TF doesn't show then Raptor or myself can take his place in SEAD, if Zirran shows then he can join Schroeder on the SAR.

How does that sound?

Arclight 04-14-2014 02:59 PM

Sounds fair. Got a scenario in my head where the Huey will deliver a SF team. Either work something out with triggers or just "fake" it. A-10 flying precision strikes (SaD), clearing a path for the helicopters which will assault a compound.

HunterICX 04-14-2014 07:37 PM

Yaarp, that sounds good to me.

As for 1 more training session well I'm pretty sure we'll have more of them when we have to work out some ''minor tactical missteps'' during our missions :O:

Also I would like to add the coordination of pairs during the flight.
One of the two takes the role of a leader and coordinates with his wingmen whenever he makes a adjustment in his flightpath (altitude,speed and heading whenever he makes a turn)
when reaching the target it would be wise to coordinate how you'll pick of the targets like working your way towards the center with one starting from the right and the other from the left to avoid wasting ammo on the same target. Just some basic stuff I wager to give a try.

I have pretty much mastered the basics of flying and shooting stuff with the kamov (apart from landing obviously) but still would like to get to know it better (the abris, navigating options, the use of the other types of ammo it can carry and designating targets with the computer for friendlies to see) so perhaps after having done some straight forward missions we should get to that as well but all on a step by step phase ofcoure :D

HunterICX

Oberon 04-14-2014 09:47 PM

Who the hell are you? :O:

Raptor! Intruder! Kill!

http://timesonline.typepad.com/dons_...8__stasi_2.jpg

HunterICX 04-15-2014 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberon (Post 2197624)
Who the hell are you? :O:

Raptor! Intruder! Kill!

http://i.imgur.com/qiZuOVK.png

Schroeder 04-15-2014 05:43 AM

I don't mind playing the SAR part. There is just one problem and that is that we can't see downed pilots. They simply don't appear in our games so it's difficult to locate them especially once the wreckage doesn't smoke anymore. I have general difficulties spotting ground targets in DCS...maybe I need a bigger monitor.:hmm2:

BTW I could use some door gunners. No idea why they aren't selectable.

Oberon 04-15-2014 12:53 PM

Hmmm, that could be tricky, we could probably try to guide you in but it might wind up in a lot of overlapping communications, which is something I fear might also happen with the two pairs of Kamovs, but we'll see...if it gets too bad we can always split up Teamspeak and assign buttons and such.

Kapitšn Schneider 04-15-2014 05:14 PM

I would personally prefer an A-10, my joystick needs replacing as it keeps pulling off to the left, and i'm waiting for my replacement to come back in stock.

Also are we still using TeamSpeak 2 or have we upgraded to TS3?

Oberon 04-15-2014 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitšn Schneider (Post 2197911)
I would personally prefer an A-10, my joystick needs replacing as it keeps pulling off to the left, and i'm waiting for my replacement to come back in stock.

Also are we still using TeamSpeak 2 or have we upgraded to TS3?

The only reason I put you down as the Huey is that I think that TF only has the A10C and Su-25T, and since we really only need one SEAD aircraft for this mission, it might as well be him since he doesn't have the option to join the Kamovs or SAR. If TF is unable to make it then I'm sure something can be arranged between us. Obviously for other missions our options are either more limited or more open depending on the tasks required.
We're still using TS2 on the usual address. :salute:

HunterICX 04-16-2014 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberon (Post 2197974)
The only reason I put you down as the Huey is that I think that TF only has the A10C and Su-25T, and since we really only need one SEAD aircraft for this mission, it might as well be him since he doesn't have the option to join the Kamovs or SAR.

Well as long the a pair of slots of the Kamovs are filled then I say having a back up SEAD in the mission is preferable if TF gets shot down during his run the mission will bog down especially if we do the SAR thing where the Huey's have to pick him up and bring him back to base and then he starts, arms and takes of again. It would be more logical to have a wingmen stay out of the danger zone while TF goes in and takes the targets he can if he either runs out of missiles to take them out or gets shot down the wingmen moves in to finnish the job.

As for the Huey I think the role of Combat Transport would make more sense, from what I've red it can be done (http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.ph...62#post1756962). The whole SAR thing is nice but eventually will bog down the mission in time and what if the Huey gets shot down..who is going to save him :O:? I think we should adapt the model of when working in pairs only if the other lands back at base or gets shot down as well you may respawn at base and take off as a pair again.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2022 Subsim®
"Subsim" is a registered trademark, all rights reserved.