SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Upgrades for boats (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=242176)

skirich 08-24-19 02:25 AM

Upgrades for boats

What kind of upgrades can I expect for boats?
I'm on my 7th mission, got plenty of kills and tonnage but I have yet to see any 'upgrades' in the upgrade section?
I did get better guns and radar, but the upgrade icon section remains empty. I assume retro fitting a sub with stuff is what its for.

I am running a GATO class now and it mid 1942, if that matters.

jimmbbo 08-24-19 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skirich (Post 2624082)
What kind of upgrades can I expect for boats?
I'm on my 7th mission, got plenty of kills and tonnage but I have yet to see any 'upgrades' in the upgrade section?
I did get better guns and radar, but the upgrade icon section remains empty. I assume retro fitting a sub with stuff is what its for.

I am running a GATO class now and it mid 1942, if that matters.

No doubt the skippers who delve into the program's guts can provide more information, but the offering of a new boat type has components of the time of the war, tonnage sunk and missions completed.
Be aware that if you get a new sub type, your home port may change without notice... Be sure to check where you are when leaving port.

skirich 09-02-19 06:36 PM

Still no upgrades

Just bumping this up again.
I went from 1941 to Nov 1943 and so far no upgrades, well other than the boat itself and excluding radar/sonar/guns/torpedos.

What are the expected uupgrades?

Mios 4Me 09-02-19 07:00 PM

AFAIK, the only upgrade from a Gato is a Balao, which becomes available around late 1943/early 1944, IIRC.

KaleunMarco 09-02-19 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skirich (Post 2625523)
Just bumping this up again.
I went from 1941 to Nov 1943 and so far no upgrades, well other than the boat itself and excluding radar/sonar/guns/torpedos.

What are the expected uupgrades?

if you are playing Stock or GFO, once you reach the Gato the other boat you could get would be the Balao. and there is not much difference.

upgrades to the Gato would include bigger deck gun, newer torpedos, bigger/more flak guns. and these are all based on dates....performance has no effect on their arrival.

just enjoy the Gato. if you really want to drive a Balao, start a new career, later in the war, and drive one.
:Kaleun_Salute:

fireftr18 09-02-19 08:53 PM

The retrofit upgrades come in game as they came available in real life at your home port. If you're port is Brisbane, then the upgrade will come much later than at Pearl. Early in the war, the focus was mainly gearing up and just working to keep the Japanese from gaining ground. You won't see any significant upgrades until late 1943.