SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Windows 10 Issue (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=244159)

Holyfirebomb_7 03-12-20 03:54 AM

Windows 10 Issue

I recently got a new computer which finally had Windows 10, whereas before I had Windows 8.1. I have SH4 installed through steam with U-Boat missions and whenever I start it up it does nothing, no loading screen, no CPU usage, it "starts" but doesn't run. I've tried all the old methods from when Windows 10 first came out but no luck getting it to run. Any advice to help me get my favorite subsim running?

propbeanie 03-12-20 08:45 AM

Did you install the DirectX v9.0c and Windows Codecs when you installed the game? There is a little "dialog" box with the tick mark boxes to choose what to install with the game. You (usually) won't need the Adobe Acrobat, but you do need the DirectX stuff... Trying to use the DirectX v9 online installer does not work for Windows 10. You have to use the one included in the Steam package. You might also have to set the SH4.exe to "Run as administrator". Also, do not install the game in a "Program Files" folder, but rather, choose your own install folder, such as "C:\Games \Steam \etc..." That way, you'll be able to install mods later, if desired. :salute:

Holyfirebomb_7 03-12-20 02:02 PM

Yeah, I have it installed into the D drive so it's avoided the program files. I didn't see a Direct 9 install prompt. Is there anywhere in the files where I can install it there?

propbeanie 03-12-20 09:32 PM

I can't find my original pictures, but here is a screen grab of a pdf we put in the Support folder of FotRSU, and the dialog for the DirectX comes right after the dialog to do the path for the install:

https://i.imgur.com/KGkGu3r.jpg

You could run the install again, and see if it comes up. It used to for my Steam SH3 & SH5, but I'm not sure what they do now with the Steam installer app...

CapnScurvy did a post on Windows 10, SH4, and the LAA app, if you want to read through his thread "Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install" :salute:

torpedobait 03-13-20 08:21 AM

Something that worked for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holyfirebomb_7 (Post 2653865)
I recently got a new computer which finally had Windows 10, whereas before I had Windows 8.1. I have SH4 installed through steam with U-Boat missions and whenever I start it up it does nothing, no loading screen, no CPU usage, it "starts" but doesn't run. I've tried all the old methods from when Windows 10 first came out but no luck getting it to run. Any advice to help me get my favorite subsim running?

I have this same issue every time I have to reload a pristine version of SH4 1.5. One of the skippers on this site (sorry, don't remember who) gave me this solution. It works perfectly for me.

First go into Device Manager and make sure SH4.exe process is not actually running. End the program there if it is.

Then, go back to your desktop and:

1. Right click on the SH4 shortcut or SH4.exe;
2. Click on Properties;
3. Click on the Compatibility Tab;
4. Click on the "Change high DPI Settings" button
5. Check the box at the bottom ("Override high DPI Scaling behavior. Scaling performed by Application")
6. Click the OK buttons (both of them) to save the new setting.
7. Try starting SH4 again.

Like I said, this works for me like magic. Hope it helps you too. :salute:

Pisces 03-13-20 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torpedobait (Post 2654146)
First go into Device Manager and make sure SH4.exe process is not actually running. End the program there if it is.

The Device Manager app (devmgr.msc) can't do anything with application processes running on your pc. You mean: Task Manager (taskmgr.msc)

propbeanie 03-13-20 08:51 AM

That was probably THEBERBSTER torpedobait (with Pisces' notation), and I always forget about that, as well as the "Run as administrator" option... though I do have my Win10 set that way also... :roll: :salute:

torpedobait 03-13-20 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pisces (Post 2654150)
The Device Manager app (devmgr.msc) can't do anything with application processes running on your pc. You mean: Task Manager (taskmgr.msc)

Yes, task manager. Brain fart.

Taucheisen 03-19-20 01:29 PM

@torpedobait:
<<NVIDIA GeForce RTX2060 Super 8Gb>>
What driver version are you using with your graphics board?
Cheers

torpedobait 03-20-20 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taucheisen (Post 2655721)
@torpedobait:
<<NVIDIA GeForce RTX2060 Super 8Gb>>
What driver version are you using with your graphics board?
Cheers

26.21.14.4166 It's the driver that Falcon Northwest provided with my Talon.

:salute:

ETR3(SS) 03-21-20 12:19 AM

Not sure what driver that is but you should be on 442.74, came out on the 19th.

torpedobait 03-21-20 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) (Post 2656037)

I got the driver number by looking at the system properties in Device Manager for the display adapter device. Looking closer, it appears to be a Microsoft installed driver dated 12/06/2019. Don't know where that change came from or how it got installed, but there it is.

That said, this is one of those things where the expression "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies. My card performs flawlessly and I am loathe to introduce change for the sake of change. But thanks for the suggestion.

:Kaleun_Salute:

torpedobait 03-21-20 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) (Post 2656037)

Ah, I get it. You are talking about the Nvidia GEForce Game drivers. I have those updated to v4.19 same as you. The driver I quoted is the actual card driver. Two different things. We're good.