SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Wolfpack (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=277)
-   -   Recommended system, need some advice! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=242355)

Noobicum4Ever 09-06-2019 03:24 AM

Recommended system, need some advice!
 
In the next few months, maybe half a year, I want to buy a laptop. I want to play DCS, IL-2 Great Battles and Wolfpack.

Laptop Gaming ASUS TUF FX505GE
Intel I5 8300H (4 x 2,3 GHz - with Turbo Boost 4 GHz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5
8GB RAM DDR4 2666 MHz

Can I run Wolfpack on this laptop without any problem?

PL_Andrev 09-07-2019 04:31 AM

Sure:

Quote:

These are the Wolfpack system requirements
(minimum)
Memory:8 GB
Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i
CPU:Intel Pentium 4 2.00GHz
Wolfpack File Size:10 GB
OS:Windows 7, 8, or 10

gurudennis 09-09-2019 11:58 PM

It'll run Wolfpack quite well.

Noobicum4Ever 09-18-2019 04:09 PM

Thank you.

I asked if the laptop is good for Wolfpack because on Steam says that I can play Silent Hunter 4 and Silent Hunter 5 on my laptop (I5 6200U 2.3 Ghz, Nvidia 940M 2048 MB DDR3, 4GB RAM) but they do not run properly. Even SH3 with GWX super mod in missions with several ships has problems on my laptop.

For example for SH5 you need:
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo E4400 2 GHz / AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4000+ 2.1 GHz or higher (Intel Core™2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.6 GHz or higher recommended)
Memory: 1 GB (Windows XP) / 2 GB (Windows Vista, Windows 7) (2 GB recommended)
Graphics: 512 MB DirectX® 9.0c-compliant video card(*see supported list)


But I think I'll buy a better edition with Nvidia 1660 TI and Ryzen 7 3750H; anyway I hope it will be enough for Digital Combat Simulator, IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles and Wolfpack :D

Pisces 09-19-2019 10:46 AM

I can run the game reasonably well with an MSI Leopard GP70 2PE, which has I5 4210H at 2.9 Ghz, 16GB ram DDR3, and 840M Nvidia GPU.

4 GB ram might be cutting it low

Noobicum4Ever 09-21-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pisces (Post 2628059)
I can run the game reasonably well with an MSI Leopard GP70 2PE, which has I5 4210H at 2.9 Ghz, 16GB ram DDR3, and 840M Nvidia GPU.

4 GB ram might be cutting it low

I did some tests (UserBenchMark.exe) and the conclusion for the video card is: "4.91% is too low to play 3D games or use CAD packages. (Note: general computing tasks don't require 3D graphics)"

gurudennis 09-21-2019 10:26 PM

The quote says "4.91%" - of what?

I'm convinced that GTX 1050 Ti is good enough to run "mid-tier" games like this one.

Pisces 09-23-2019 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noobicum4Ever (Post 2628349)
I did some tests (UserBenchMark.exe) and the conclusion for the video card is: "4.91% is too low to play 3D games or use CAD packages. (Note: general computing tasks don't require 3D graphics)"

I'm not saying it is a heavy gaming laptop. I do have to turn down graphics settings in several games. But it works. For Wolfpack anyway. It is not so demanding. (thusfar)

Noobicum4Ever 09-23-2019 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gurudennis (Post 2628398)
The quote says "4.91%" - of what?

I'm convinced that GTX 1050 Ti is good enough to run "mid-tier" games like this one.

I repeated the test and the integrated video card was evaluated ... I do not know how to evaluate the dedicated video card 940M!
I'm a little confused ...

I set the power consumption to performance. It was set on a balance between performance and consumption. I ran SH3 GWX on the laptop without any problems. I did the "Scharnhorst" mission! I'll try a mission with many ships to see how the laptop works!

I think 1650 and 1660 TI are better option for 2019!

Pisces 09-23-2019 11:06 AM

The percentage is against the common current top of the line devices. Naturally a laptop will not be able to compete with plug-in bulky large multi-fan GPU cards. Obviously that is a trade-off you make: performance vs the ability to use it wherever you go.

The results on the site for the 940M are on par with the 840M. So you can run the game. But not with all the bells and whistles on overdrive. (EDIT: my GPU percentage rating was 8.8something % of the top performing devices.)

Noobicum4Ever 09-23-2019 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pisces (Post 2628625)
The percentage is against the common current top of the line devices. Naturally a laptop will not be able to compete with plug-in bulky large multi-fan GPU cards. Obviously that is a trade-off you make: performance vs the ability to use it wherever you go.

The results on the site for the 940M are on par with the 840M. So you can run the game. But not with all the bells and whistles on overdrive. (EDIT: my GPU percentage rating was 8.8something % of the top performing devices.)


How do I know for sure if the game is running on Nvidia 940M or Intel HD Graphics 520? I have two video cards, one dedicated and one integrated in the processor!

Pisces 09-23-2019 05:16 PM

You should be able to select the preferred graphics processor under 3D settings in the NVIDIA Control panel per application/game. "High-performance NVIDIA processor" or "Integrated graphics"

And if it is wrong you'll quickly tell by the frame rates.

Noobicum4Ever 09-26-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pisces (Post 2628677)
You should be able to select the preferred graphics processor under 3D settings in the NVIDIA Control panel per application/game. "High-performance NVIDIA processor" or "Integrated graphics"

And if it is wrong you'll quickly tell by the frame rates.

You're right, I checked and some games were automatically run on the integrated video card. I did not use the dedicated video card when playing Silent Hunter 3 ...
Thank you and I am glad to have found this important information.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2019 Subsim