SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Real Navigation Mod files - FINAL (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=113975)

mikaelanderlund 05-10-07 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanjast
Okey Dokey.. I'll start with 1280x1024 res

Are there any other resolutions used. What I'll do it go with the resolutions, that are in SH4, but these will have to be individually tested by people with these screens.
Also the 1024x768.INI file input will probably have to be changed as well, regarding the height of the sextant image.

It'll take a few days as I have RL stuff to do.
:up:

Any news with 1280x1024 res sextant?

Mikael

Kumando 05-11-07 06:00 AM

vanjast i have another question, is it possible to take sun shots with this mod or we can only take starshots?

mikaelanderlund 05-11-07 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumando
vanjast i have another question, is it possible to take sun shots with this mod or we can only take starshots?

Yes that's possible but we don't have a functional clock on the boat so you don't know when sun is in zenit:cry:

Mikael

mikaelanderlund 05-11-07 08:19 AM

Quote:

So what method are you guys using to fix longitude with this mod?

If you know the lat. by using the sextant, you can use the sun set/rise tabel to fix your long.

Mikael

vanjast 05-11-07 08:24 AM

Quote:

Yup! you can do the lot, but as mikaelanderlund says, the zenith almanacs have to be made up for this, and the educational docs on these as, as you probably know, the sun's path is a wierd one.

I've igored this (as well as triangulation) up till now as I wanted to concentrate on getting the basics going and the testing of it has taken some time. We can still build on this making a whole course on it's own (heh heh) - That's if it works for SH3(4) that is.

I'll put the 1024 scale sextant together this week-end

Notewire 05-16-07 07:58 AM

Compatability Question

Hiya fellas. I took a hiatus - the whole real world life thing. I am just getting my system up and running again and restacking all my mods. Currently I have loaded Vanilla - modded to 1.4 - Loaded Gwx 1.3. I got my JSGME back up, and my SH3Cmdr. I wanted to load JCWolf's mod pack - which has a lot of goodies that I really like.

I really love the Real Navigation Mod, does this work with the 6-Dials mod? I saw that it is another drag on from the tower view - do the two conflict?

Has anybody played with the two of them together?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Very Respectfully,
Notewire.

poor sailor 05-16-07 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notewire
Hiya fellas. I took a hiatus - the whole real world life thing. I am just getting my system up and running again and restacking all my mods. Currently I have loaded Vanilla - modded to 1.4 - Loaded Gwx 1.3. I got my JSGME back up, and my SH3Cmdr. I wanted to load JCWolf's mod pack - which has a lot of goodies that I really like.

I really love the Real Navigation Mod, does this work with the 6-Dials mod? I saw that it is another drag on from the tower view - do the two conflict?

Has anybody played with the two of them together?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Very Respectfully,
Notewire.

You need to manualy add the lines in menu_1024_768.ini file(which already used with 6dials) and also others files, this is described in excellent readme of this mod. And then this mod will be fully functional as should.

Notewire 05-31-07 10:16 AM

I am a huge fan of this Mod, and love to use it to navigate.

Have we as a community come to the conclusion that the clock on my Boat is not accurate enough for Sun readings at sunrise/sunset? I had been using it for that purpose and had some (fairly accurate) success. Now, I can't match the naval academy 1000m rule, but I was getting some roughly close numbers in my test?

Has anybody else been using the sun tables to try to get their position?

Very Respectfully,
Notewire

vanjast 06-01-07 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notewire
I am a huge fan of this Mod, and love to use it to navigate.

Have we as a community come to the conclusion that the clock on my Boat is not accurate enough for Sun readings at sunrise/sunset? I had been using it for that purpose and had some (fairly accurate) success. Now, I can't match the naval academy 1000m rule, but I was getting some roughly close numbers in my test?

Has anybody else been using the sun tables to try to get their position?

Very Respectfully,
Notewire

Notewire, there is a problem with the GMT clock (bottom right corner) and the local clock (that appears above the GMT clock) in that :-

1) the local clock Hour section updates according to your Longitude positions of increments of 7.5 degrees. So the between 7.5W-22.5W (and so on) the local clock hour time is an hour behind GMT. The minutes section so far is absolutely useless.

2) The mod almanac is accurate, as I've tested it at various longitude and latitude combinations and it is spot on as the GMT clock locks onto the nearest Longitude meridian. The problem come in when you reload a saved game, the GMT clock now changes it's reference point - usually Greenwich

So when starting at Kiel GMT ref is first at 15East but as you pass Greenwich en-route to the atlantic you most probably will save the game and reload later. Check the GMT clock. You now must make allowances for this change, and you'll find the almanac times still accurate enough.

Notewire 06-01-07 02:09 PM

Alright, what a detailed answer, thanks Van. I guess I will always try to save my game EXACTLY on the Grenwich Meridian :rotfl: . It is good to know that it resets, I am going to continue to refine using the clock to get my approximate position, as it so far seems to be working given that I have some knowledge of my latitude.

Thanks again,
Notewire.

Salvadoreno 06-05-07 01:57 AM

Sorry if this was covered, but is this compatible with GWX 1.03?? I dont think the changes made screw with anything important in GWX but i wanted to make sure!

poor sailor 06-05-07 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salvadoreno
Sorry if this was covered, but is this compatible with GWX 1.03?? I dont think the changes made screw with anything important in GWX but i wanted to make sure!

Yes, It's compatible. I using this mod in GWX, but You need to look at this thread http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=114812 there is something interesting in It about position of camera. Take a look on It.:up:

Mav87th 06-05-07 09:57 AM

SH4 usage of REAL NAV

Status for getting this to work with SH4:

I have removed all traces of Submarine Icons

Tests of GMT times versus "Base Time" as the clock is called in SH4 shows, that sun sets and raises look to be just as usable as in SH3 even down to minutes.

The only problem that remains are WHAT TIME ARE BASE TIME ???

Below an example:

Game date - 22 november 1942 - located on E 144 deg 50 / N 26 deg 50

I started the stopwatch as the game clock changed minutes, so to have seconds available.

in 3D the sun SET was

Lower Limb - 19:15:00 @ 247 deg True

Center sun - 19:29:10 @ 248 deg True

Upper Limb - 19:40:15 @ 250 deg True

From Almanac data (Starcalc) the real GMT sun SET should be 17:05:00 @ 247 deg True

Difference (to center sun) is + 2 hours 14 minutes or - 16 hours and 36 minutes

3d measurement of Polaris were 310 deg True at 25 deg up from horizon at game Base time 19:57:00

The submarine were parked the same spot the whole time.

Now can anyone tell me what timezone the BaseTime is???

or if this corrosponds with my position lat/lng ?

don1reed 06-05-07 01:33 PM

Hi Mav,

Here's something to try if you are, as you say, parked.

Get time and azimuth of upper limb of sun as he breaks starch in the A.M.

...fast forward (TC)

@ 12:00 Noon, (game time) get azimuth (should be 180° true...if not...the game makes an exception for the "equation of time" caused by the earth not being a perfect round sphere and it "shimmy's a bit on it's axis, causing real noon to be before or after 12:00 seasonally) and altitude (should be zenith (if possible)).

Finally, get time and azimuth of upper limb of sun as he ducks beneath the waves in the west.

Now divide length of daylight hours in half to find meridian time. Compare your calculated meridian time with that of StarCalc for the same location.

I'm presumming that "base time" in SH4 is "local" time.

As you know, in RL, the flat horizon is the basis for all altitude measurement for cel nav, it's extremely iffy to get altitudes >60° in any non-linear, segmented viewing platform.

EDIT: As you know, a real sextant operates very similar to the "split image Kollmorgan periscope" in SH4, pity the Dev's didn't go one step further and allow the scope to elevate to 90° so as to measure the angles of the celestial bodies in the heavenly canopy.

Mav87th 06-06-07 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by don1reed
EDIT: As you know, a real sextant operates very similar to the "split image Kollmorgan periscope" in SH4, pity the Dev's didn't go one step further and allow the scope to elevate to 90° so as to measure the angles of the celestial bodies in the heavenly canopy.

That is not a problem if you desire it to be so......

a small simple change to one of the scopes in the camaras.dat file...

Im not sure what you ment with the calculations - could you make the example with these numbers Don1 ??

Game data:...............................Star Calc for the day

Sun at set - 08:26:00.............06:36:00
Noon - 13:47:00.............11:47:00 height 41 deg's
Sun at down - 18:59:00.............16:59:00