SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Windows XP SP3 Creating Havoc (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=136520)

Syxx_Killer 05-09-08 02:12 PM

Windows XP SP3 Creating Havoc

Can't say that I'm surprised. I'm not going to be installing it.

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?...58229&from=rss

bert8for3 05-09-08 02:15 PM

Likewise on suprise-meter from 0-10 .... -38

AVGWarhawk 05-09-08 02:25 PM

No issue here. I downloaded on my work computer and home computer. Both work just fine. The article says 100's. Not bad really. One claims his machine was screwed before he loaded it up hoping it would fix his problem. :doh:

MothBalls 05-09-08 03:38 PM

Add me on the complaint side. (side note, all my copies of windows are legal copies)

Auto-update did one of my PC's with a raid array. Wouldn't boot after the upgrade. Popped in a boot disk and looked, all data from both drives 100% gone. Nothing, nada, zip. Luckily I'm one of those people that actually have a backup. So I disabled my raid, just used one drive, did a restore. Updated to SP3. All was fine. Turned my hardware level raid back on, rebooted and *poof. No data.

On another machine it somehow invalidated my (legal) license on my Adobe CS3 (Master Edition). None of it works, tells me to call an admin.

So here's my final solution. I'm going to install Linux, Open Office, a "standards compliant" browser unlike the POS that comes with XP, become happier and move on. For my other work PC, I'm going to buy a MAC.

From here on out I'll have only one Windows machine, for games. I'll never purchase another MS product again, ever.

Letum 05-09-08 03:43 PM

Ive noticed a few servers down recently....

Officerpuppy 05-09-08 03:53 PM

I upgraded my PC last night, haven't run into any problems yet thankfully :know:

jumpy 05-09-08 05:10 PM

I see it ready to dl, but based on comments so far... it can wait.
Imagine if you were stupid enough to have automatic update set to dl + install by itself?

Quote:

Originally Posted by info week
Microsoft said the restrictions are designed to prevent system instabilities.

lmao :down:

goldorak 05-10-08 02:57 AM

:huh: if I had read all those horror stories about SP 3 I would never have installed it.
But all went well, it didn't bork my raid 1 setup nor any other programs.
The only problem that still is present concerns the recovery console, every time I try to access it the pc BSOD. :shifty: It seems there is no way to win with windows.

Dimitrius07 05-10-08 01:39 PM

Can some one tell or show me what thise Sp3 acctually does beside trouble on pc :D .Sorry for the offtopic ;)

goldorak 05-10-08 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitrius07
Can some one tell or show me what thise Sp3 acctually does beside trouble on pc :D .Sorry for the offtopic ;)

Download the pdf here : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Nokia 05-10-08 02:03 PM

Not going to bother installing it. Going to get vista in about a month and don't want to try tos solve the problems that might show up with SP3.

Officerpuppy 05-10-08 02:46 PM

Murder most foul!:damn:

Well, not quite, but time will tell. I had no problems with SP3 till I shutdown my PC, I started it up later in the day and I heard a clicking sound on my HD, now from past experience I know that when that happens that means the HD is in it's death throws but ignored it thinking it was just a fluke. Well, today I boot up the system and I got the clicking again but it was persistant and I get an error saying the system can't boot. Well, after starting up and shutting down several times with the same problem, I opened up my tower and wiggled the wires as a last attempt and started up and although I heard a click, the system booted.

Luckly, I did a system save before installing SP3, so I rolled back and shut down my computer, well it started up minus the clicking. I can only hope that the damage wasin't perminant but I suppose I'll find out the next time I reboot my PC to see if the clicking has really disapeard.:down:

kiwi_2005 05-10-08 09:23 PM

I turned updates off for good, not going to install sp3 nor any other updates i had a list of 15 before the sp3, i never bothered as winxp is running great. With Vista i update to sp1 as it did have some holes that needed filling!

Geno_Mariner 05-11-08 11:35 PM

I've switch my auto-update to the option where I have a look before I install. Thankfully SP3 isn't installed yet :yep:

Skybird 05-12-08 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwi_2005
I turned updates off for good, not going to install sp3 nor any other updates i had a list of 15 before the sp3, i never bothered as winxp is running great. With Vista i update to sp1 as it did have some holes that needed filling!

Most of the recommended updates that the Windows updater recommends are not adding new features and gimmicks, but are closing security holes. Indded, the recommended updates are almost exclusively about closing security holes. You don'T do yourself a favour when not installing these.

I too have autoupdate deactivated, but I manually check once a month. And security updates I install. In the early days until short after SP1, this was sometimes a problem, making me reinstalling the machine many times. Since SP2, no more problems.

I will give it one or two months and then install SP3.