SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Helosim.com and Flight Sims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=216)
-   -   OK, so I admit, this forum was a good idea! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=120176)

Onkel Neal 08-09-07 10:40 PM

OK, so I admit, this forum was a good idea!

I am glad you guys talked me into widening the scope of this forum for flight sims. Makes me wish I had held onto the domain "planesim.com" :ping:

Reaves 08-09-07 10:51 PM

It's a great extra forum to have, I can get info for all my favorite sim types in one place now. :up:

CCIP 08-09-07 11:00 PM

I'm glad we convinced you that there's enough flightsimmers here!

Let's face it, flightsims rule the roost of the larger (okay, it's not really large, unfortunately :88)) military vehicular simulation genre, so I'm betting most of anyone who's into subsims loves them anyway. At least a title or two!

Cool bunch gathered here as a result :)

Dowly 08-09-07 11:41 PM

FINALLY! :rotfl::up:

Chock 08-10-07 12:03 AM

Yup, it's amazing how many closet flyers there are lurking on Subsim, and when they're not doing either of those, it seems they are driving tanks quite a bit too.

Actually, it doesn't surprise me that much, there are a lot of very bright people who frequent Subsim, so it's not that surprising that technical sims would interest many of the Subsim people more than Super Mario.

:D Chock

Rilder 08-10-07 01:15 AM

Yup flight sims were really the first game type I ever got into... MS FLight sim 98 Iirc. I had loads of planes on it I had downloaded, Always enjoyed the Combat flight sims and what not.

Reaves 08-10-07 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rilder
Yup flight sims were really the first game type I ever got into... MS FLight sim 98 Iirc. I had loads of planes on it I had downloaded, Always enjoyed the Combat flight sims and what not.

Early 90's I was playing a lot of the old Microprose flight sims, can't remember the first one but I think it was a Falcon title.

I do know the first game I played over modem (Good ol 2400 Bps, heh I once even had a 300 BPS one!!!) that was F-29 Retaliator. I used to kill my friend everytime until he'd get too frustrated. Killing people on the runway before they can take off will do that. :D

edit: Hmm perhaps Doom 1 or warcraft 2 were my first MP games. Long time ago now.

HunterICX 08-10-07 04:28 AM

yep this forum part was an excellent idea :up:

JScones 08-10-07 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chock
Yup, it's amazing how many closet flyers there are lurking on Subsim, and when they're not doing either of those, it seems they are driving tanks quite a bit too.

:up: Panzer Elite and SH3 share the spot as my fave games of all time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaves
Early 90's I was playing a lot of the old Microprose flight sims, can't remember the first one but I think it was a Falcon title.

I think I had *every* Microprose game released in the '80s (C64) and early '90s (386DX40)... F15 Strike Eagle III was prolly my fave, but I also enjoyed EAW, B17 Flying Fortress, Gunship 2000, Decision in the Desert and Conflict in Vietnam to name a few. The thing I hated though was the copy protection - "Please enter the seventh word of the third paragragh on page 52"...ugh!

Of course, it goes without saying that I had Silent Service I and II as well. ;)

STEED 08-10-07 05:08 AM

All the :cool: dudes are in here and some them are really :|\\

Lol :lol:

Skybird 08-10-07 05:18 AM

Damn, already almost as many threads here as in the tank forum - I'm in desperate need for some new ideas! :ping:

Kratos 08-10-07 05:47 AM

Yea if it wasn't for the flight sim forum, I think i would still be in the Hanger reading the manual :rotfl:

Biggles 08-10-07 05:57 AM

So it took you this long Mr. Stevens?:nope: ;)

Oberon 08-10-07 07:42 AM

That reminds me, really must dust off my copy of M1 TP2 sometime, sometimes its nice to take the old girl out and lob some sabots at BMPs.

But yeah, flightsims have been around for as long as subsims, maybe longer (wonder what came first) and IIRC, my first flightsim was Retalliator, or something similar, could even have been Chuck Yeagers Flight Simulator for the Commodore 64, I remember the first time I tried to fly a 767 in MSFS95...I tried to bank it like a fighter jet and stalled straight into the ground. :oops:

JScones 08-10-07 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberon
But yeah, flightsims have been around for as long as subsims, maybe longer (wonder what came first) and IIRC, my first flightsim was Retalliator, or something similar, could even have been Chuck Yeagers Flight Simulator for the Commodore 64, I remember the first time I tried to fly a 767 in MSFS95...I tried to bank it like a fighter jet and stalled straight into the ground. :oops:

I think I started with...wait for it...FS2 on my c64 and Apple ][e. 1983 IIRC.

Silent Service came a few years later, again IIRC. Although, I'm sure GATO was the first ever PC subsim, released in 1983, for the Spectrum. FS1 was released in 1979, so that answers the question of what came first. ;)

EDIT: NO! I started with FS1 for the Apple ][. I remember the monochrome "stripes" now.