SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Remake of Das Boot 2018 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=220829)

Ishmael 08-06-15 01:13 PM

I think a terrific war movie could be made about the Battle of San Bernardino Straits and Taffy 3. The film could actually encompass the battle in Real Time.

sturmer 08-16-15 03:52 PM

i can imagine it already, english speaking germans. like in the battle of the bulge :damn:.
i would also like to see new naval and sub movies, but touching classics is just a step too far. we have had enough examples released this and last year and the upcomming ones arent much more promissing.
for example: kindergarten cop was a fantastic movie to see but to remake it? -.-

CCIP 08-16-15 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sturmer (Post 2336882)
i can imagine it already, english speaking germans. like in the battle of the bulge :damn:.

Actually, the original Das Boot was dubbed into English by the original German actors, so they certainly do sound like themselves. I much prefer the German version anyway, but I would have to say that the English is adequate!

sturmer 08-16-15 04:07 PM

@CCIP: good point, im more the fan of the fact that if they make a movie about germans they need to use the german language and same goes for other films about france, ...
its just the idea of german sailors speaking english or getting dubbed in other countries like france that they speak french.
for some reason i just cant stand it :D

Sailor Steve 08-16-15 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sturmer (Post 2336887)
for some reason i just cant stand it :D

Nor can I. I don't speak any other language than English, but I too feel like I'm not getting my money's worth when I watch a dubbed version. The original language is always best.

I feel the same way about my games. :sunny:

sturmer 08-17-15 05:54 AM

@sailor steve : oh in games? i got the same feeling, a few weeks ago i was playing assassins creed unity. the game portraits itself in Paris. its always fun to hear the nice french people speaking english with a brittish accent :hmmm:

CCIP 08-17-15 02:29 PM

Oh, I know that feeling - and often it's even worse if you know the language, but it's not even just the words, it's even stuff like mannerisms and behaviour. It's the worst when the director and actors are not aware of these cultural specifics - one reason I can't stand Enemy at the Gates, for example, is that the characters in it don't remotely sound, look, act or think like Russians, and that's pretty infuriating to me as a native Russian speaker. Conversely, in K-19 Widowmaker, Harrison Ford pretty much nails the role of the Soviet submarine captain - I watched a Russian dub of it too, and he was basically indistinguishable from how a Russian actor would've played that role. Good example of an American film about a foreign submarine, by the way, and it's not a bad movie at all.

So it really varies I guess, but more often than not Hollywood gets it wrong.

SailorMorg 08-20-15 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstanko6 (Post 2324171)
I'm torn... I love Das boot. It's a classic. Yet with today's tech it may be a great remake!

Couldn't agree more!

Laser 01-18-16 02:43 AM

I hope this movie will be better than previous monster, Das boot!

Onkel Neal 11-01-17 06:10 AM

Update: German U-boat 'real star' of new Second World War drama

David I 11-01-17 03:57 PM

So, if I read this correctly, this will be a sequel that starts where Das Boot ended. Maybe going through to the end of the war?

I'd be OK with that. It could be an entirely different film in both scope and character. After all the original followed one patrol by one boat.

David I

PS. IMDB says there are 6 to 8 episodes.

UglyMowgli 11-03-17 09:34 AM

One of the mille-sabords member (Lazuli), who lives in La rochelle got a little job as extra in Das boot .
He post some photos and describe his adventure in the series Das boot (since he can't take photos while working, it's formally prohibited). It's in french but you can use google to translate.

http://www.mille-sabords.com/forum/i...pic=57030&st=0

NitramS 12-10-17 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JU_88 (Post 2325423)
Yeah agree with Cybermat, worse case it will be a movie to just not watch,

My only doubts lie with special effects, these days many film producers are keen to show them off and make them a selling point. But the beauty of Das Boot was that 90% of the film is being stuck in side a sub with not much going on. so you get that feeling of claustrophobia, boredom etc. So that kind of worked well with limiting the crappy special effects from the 80's.
But we will see....

I can tell you, that they are going for subtlety and quality, with a high emphasis on practical effects. This is from first hand experience.

Aktungbby 12-10-17 01:37 PM

welcome aboard!

NitramS!:Kaleun_Salute:

Faith 12-16-17 11:50 AM

I really wish you could board the floating replica they've originally built.
To stand on the bridge, watching the harbor entrance, with a U-boat bunker behind me...
Maybe take it for a spin!