SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   COLD WATERS (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=268)
-   -   Mr. Turkey's dilema (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=233246)

GeneralGamer 09-03-17 05:36 AM

Mr. Turkey's dilema

Jive Turkey had the wire break constantly on the Russian Sub in his last video.
He was playing the Russian sub K-278 Mike, with the USET-80 torpedo

So I looked in the weapons text (in the override folder) file and found the torpedo he was using had a x5 chance of breaking the wire then most of the other torpedoes. Most in the default folder were .01 .... The Mike had a .05 chance of breaking. It seems like almost no difference, but it's 5 times the first value. He broke about 12 wires in 15 shots.

I played the same Sub and had the same results with constant wire breakage.

Anyway I went through and changed the line for the USET-80 torpedo to

WireBreakOnLaunchProbability=0.02 to see it it improves and how much.

That line is in the override\weapons.txt folder if you have the same problems and want to experiment.

von Zelda 09-03-17 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralGamer (Post 2510255)
Jive Turkey had the wire break constantly on the Russian Sub in his last video.
He was playing the Russian sub K-278 Mike, with the USET-80 torpedo

I played the same Sub and had the same results with constant wire breakage.

See page 12 of the Cold Waters manual which reads in part: "Some submarine classes have fewer wires than tubes such that additional wire-guided torpedo launches will not possess a wire."

This is probably due (in real life, on some subs) to fire control's ability to watch only a limited number of guided torpedoes.

I watched Jive Turkey's recent video where he did have a problem with wire breakage at launch. Each time that a wire broke at launch, he already had two torpedoes running that were wire guided. Each time that he launched without a wire guided running, he never had a wire to break.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

GeneralGamer 09-03-17 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by von Zelda (Post 2510280)
See page 12 of the Cold Waters manual which reads in part: "Some submarine classes have fewer wires than tubes such that additional wire-guided torpedo launches will not possess a wire."

This is probably due (in real life, on some subs) to fire control's ability to watch only a limited number of guided torpedoes.

I watched Jive Turkey's recent video where he did have a problem with wire breakage at launch. Each time that a wire broke at launch, he already had two torpedoes running that were wire guided. Each time that he launched without a wire guided running, he never had a wire to break.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

I'm sure you are correct and I appreciate your response. However for my personal choice there is too much wire breakage. It seems when it's up to 70% breakage it's a waste to use wires at all. So I toned the breakage down. My crew feels better too LOL

Thanks again for the good info!:salute:

Wiz33 09-03-17 01:28 PM

If you're seeing 70& wire breakage, they you are doing something else wrong. I may see one wire break every 2 mission or less.

-Pv- 09-03-17 01:38 PM

From what I understand here it's a particular torpedo which is coded to have the high break rate when more than two are used. Is this correct understanding? Is this correct IRL?
-Pv-