SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   ...And Again... (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=243761)

Sailor Steve 02-03-20 09:21 AM

...And Again...

It's hard to believe it's been five years since the last time I tried this, but with '100 Years' finally out of the way it's time once again to try Silent Hunter III.

I have several games I'm trying as well - Wings Over Flanders' Fields, Train Simulator, Microsoft Flight Simulator Ten (or FSX, as it's commonly called), and Lockheed-Martin's flight sim Prepar3d. People call that one by a lot of different names, but the manual says it's pronounced "Prepared".

So, I'll be tracking my progress with re-installing SH3 the way I like it. I'll be referring to my old thread as a guide to how I did it before. This time maybe I'll finish one career before I get distracted by something else. I'll be doing all this on a new desktop computer I bought a couple of years ago and have upgraded a couple of times since then.

FUBAR295 02-03-20 09:42 AM

Bug bites are a terrible thing ... :yeah:

Good luck.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

Sailor Steve 02-03-20 11:34 AM

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

That's a good one. It took me a minute to figure it out though. But you're right. I've been bitten far to many times.

Randomizer 02-03-20 01:07 PM

@Sailor Steve, I quite enjoyed your postings both here and over on the WOFF forum so look forward to reading what you bring here going forward.

-C

gord96 02-03-20 01:15 PM

i too am just getting back into SH3, after what must be close to 10 years!

at the moment DCS (flying the Harrier) has been my main 'milsim' obsession, but ready to get back into the water!

Where the heck do I get the game now? I remember in the past I got it from a site I can't remember. Heard bad things about the Steam version.

Thanks all!

melis 02-03-20 02:59 PM

steam version is very well. I have, and all works fine ;)

UKönig 02-03-20 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gord96 (Post 2647591)
i too am just getting back into SH3, after what must be close to 10 years!

at the moment DCS (flying the Harrier) has been my main 'milsim' obsession, but ready to get back into the water!

Where the heck do I get the game now? I remember in the past I got it from a site I can't remember. Heard bad things about the Steam version.

Thanks all!

I got my copy on line from Ubisoft's website store. Paid 10$ for it. Single best purchase I never regretted.

U301 02-03-20 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUBAR295 (Post 2647564)
Bug bites are a terrible thing ... :yeah:

Good luck.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

Once bitten it is impossible to shake it!
Guta jagt!
KUrtz

gord96 02-03-20 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melis (Post 2647619)

thanks for the reply!

gord96 02-03-20 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKönig (Post 2647629)
I got my copy on line from Ubisoft's website store. Paid 10$ for it. Single best purchase I never regretted.

thanks!

I am trying to remember the name of the store i got my last digital copy from. it eludes me. it was nice because it was free and clear of any DRM from Steam or Ubisoft. I imagine they are out of business now.

what's the best mod to use now? I used GWX back in the day.

edit: found it. gamersgate was the site and it's still there. downloading now. :)

derstosstrupp 02-03-20 09:13 PM

Sailor Steve get Wolfpack (too) and come join us! There are a lot of solid players who love the immersion and an old hat like you would be an asset to the community!

Sailor Steve 02-03-20 09:29 PM

My copy is from the twin-pack (SH2 + SH3) I bought from a store spin-rack in 2006. I almost never touch download games, though that is slowly changing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by derstosstrupp (Post 2647657)
Sailor Steve get Wolfpack (too) and come join us! There are a lot of solid players who love the immersion and an old hat like you would be an asset to the community!

Sorry, multi-player is something I never do. As soon as I heard about Wolfpack I knew it wasn't for me. I've looked at some videos and they only reaffirmed my conviction on that.

derstosstrupp 02-03-20 09:51 PM

That’s fair. Depends on whom you play with. Plenty of idiots in the main Wolfpack Discord but there is a core of players who are very into the role playing aspect and take it seriously. Think historical SOPs, German commands, etc. I had my share of doubts in that regard too, believe me, but I was smitten. I was a crewman on an armored vehicle in the Marines and the small crew dynamic, working efficiently, training etc really brought back good memories.

Sailor Steve 02-03-20 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derstosstrupp (Post 2647665)
That’s fair. Depends on whom you play with.

Not for me. I've tried all sorts of role-playing games and hated them all. That's the last thing I want to do on my computer, even with all good, friendly players.

Chief_WH 02-04-20 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melis (Post 2647619)

Does it work ok with mods like GWX, and can it be run directly from Steam?

I have SHIII on Steam but should also have a CDrom somewhere in the cupboard under the stairs but really don't want to have to go in there lookin for it if I can avoid it.