SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Tanksim.com (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   T34 vs Tiger- Kursk 1943 coming soon! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=158301)

Bleser 04-23-11 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleser (Post 1649255)
Hi Zee,

Thank you very much for taking the time to try and address my issues.

I have tried the 4GB patch and it had no effect. I watch TvT.exe in the system monitor and it never goes beyond about 1.3GB of memory demanded, so I guess that is not it.

I'm wondering if the common thread here is Windows 7 64-bit? I know you run Windows XP (32-bit) - I wonder if TvT is just not happy with Windows 7? I'll try running TvT in compatibility mode today and see if it helps. I will also try the ATI tray tools.

Thanks again!

Just tried compatibility mode, went back to "Windows XP SP2", with zero difference in either the stock game or ZeeWolf's mod.

I wonder if ATI's Windows 7 drivers are the issue... I'm running the latest 11.3 drivers, released this past March.

Too bad I don't have a good nVidia card to pop in my system and try. :cry:

Bleser 04-23-11 08:18 AM

FYI, I have submitted this performance issue to AMD. Hopefully someone in their camp will grab the game and try it out on Windows 7 64-bit and help solve the issues. Doesn't make sense how this superior hardware struggles so much.

If I get really bored one day, I might try a Windows XP install and see if performance is improved.

And, so I don't go drop $350 on an nVidia card unecessarily, if ANYONE is running an nVidia setup on Windows 7 64-bit with wonderful performance, PLEASE LET US KNOW!

Cheers!

Bleser 04-23-11 09:46 AM

It looks like nVidia cards DO fare well on Win7 x64 with Zee's mods:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordonvembu

"Hi, i am experiencing absolutely no frame rate issues. Averaging between 50-65 fps.

i7-920 cpu
asus rampage extreme 2 motherboard
evga GTX 295 video card
12 Gb corsair dominator memory
256 Gb corsair extreme SSD" (from page 124)

"screen 2048x1152 - all video sliders including anti-aliasing all the way to the right (max)" (from page 125)

"Are you sure you are geting those fps also in the Zitadelle (Kursk) missions??" - Yes so far but i have not been good enough skill wise to yet get past mission 3 in Zitadelle but i have yet to experience any screen tearing or stuttering whatsoever. (from page 125)

"I am using windows 7 64bit." (from page 126)

ZeeWolf 04-23-11 10:32 AM

Wow you guys, this is great I am getting so real feed back on this FPS
issue. With out hearing anything contrary I just assumed everyone was doing
ok or better then me (with the fps). And yes gordovembu was an inspiration
with his report of " i am experiencing absolutely no frame rate issues. Averaging between 50-65 fps". :woot:
BUT - I am getting frame rates now that I never even come close to. And this is with my 512vram HD4770.
I still have a wide range (depending on GPU load) in fps, but even that has been increased.
This Easter release must have feed back so I can tell if I am on the right track.:yep:
This will be especially true for you guys ( bleser and flying-kane) because I
am confident you high-end guys will experience the greatest benefits. :up:

Keep it coming guys, I can take it!:wah:

ZW :salute:

ZeeWolf 04-23-11 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flying-kane (Post 1649160)
Hi ZeeWolf,

great work, i hope the new update comes out soon :D. I read the forum today and i suffer from same problem with low FPS. All the Zitadelle missions are nearly unplayable and some single missions, too.

I thought my new sys is potent to handle TvT, but it doesn't.

My specs:
Intel Core I5 2500K @ 3,6GHz
AMD HD6850 1GB RAM
8GB RAM
Windows 64bit

I have same problem like Bleser. It doesnt matter if i turn off all the eye candy or all to max. it's still at 10FPS. I tried the 4GB patch, but nothing changed. I also use the ATI Tool, is there something special to adjust?

I'm so frustrated, because when i look at your specs Zee and guys like me and Bleser have low FPS, don't get it. There must be something wrong, dunno.

Are there other solutions or hints?

sincerely Kane

I do not know how to explain this but I will give it a try. The hardest part here is to
understand that even though the FPS is low it is still very playable. Back when screen
resolution was 340 x 220 a fps of 12 looked like a slide show it was horrible, but not in TvT.
Having been at this for quite sometime now I believe that the screen rendering is near
constant. Rendering in hundreds of a second. This rendering capability is due to many
things especially the massive development made that focused on this area.
And here in TvT it is as if 12fps plays like 24fps and 8 like 16 and so on.
This has been a real challenge to say the least but regardless I still play TvT
and enjoy it very much. However I totally understand that the fps issue is
not going away until the fps is up there. So here is some images that will
I hope encourage you that I am on the right track.
These images are from the editor and are designed to show the vast range
of fps using the mega kursk map.

Looking at the Tiger
http://www.tanksimzw.com/images/FPS_MidView1.jpg

Looking straight up at the sky

http://www.tanksimzw.com/images/FPS_ViewHigh1.jpg

Then looking straight down at the ground

http://www.tanksimzw.com/images/FPS_ViewDown1.jpg

As you can see the potential to solve this is definitely there and with your
help and feed back it can be done :up:

Sincerely,

ZW

Bleser 04-23-11 07:47 PM

Sounds good Zee, looking forward to tomorrow's release!

ZeeWolf 04-23-11 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleser (Post 1649629)
Sounds good Zee, looking forward to tomorrow's release!

Thanks Bleser,
It's crunch time at the ZeeWolf's den :yep:

ZW

ZeeWolf 04-24-11 05:06 PM

Project ZeeWolfs EASTER UPDATE is ready

Hallo Kameraden!
The Easter update (beta) is done. :woot:
http://www.tanksimzw.com/images/ZW_EasterUpdate1.jpg
Note:The main reason this is called a "beta" version is because of the changes made
to increase performance across Operating Systems (OS) platforms. Therefore your feed
back is vital to help complete this phase of this release.

The first thing that must be tested are the changes made in these 8 files:
1.Editor.exe
2.Behavior.dll
3.Controls.dll
4.engine.dll
5.J5Script.dll
6.objects.dll
7.Service.dll
8.UI.dll

The changes made are to the use of the older DirectX 9c with a more common DX 9c. Thus eliminating the need for the
DX 9c shipped with the original DX version that is a hassle to install on Win7 32/64bit system. Although there is no firm
guarantee that it will do as planned, so those with Win7 work with me with your feed back. The stock files are available
available in the file "ZW_2011_Easter_RE-Store.exe" for an easy restore if you have any problems.

The new playable Tiger (early version) is included in three camo schemes Brown, Green and Winter. Also the Panthers
have new skins too as well as others. The winter work continues and will be in the next update with a new map and
missions. All the previous ZW German missions have been re-worked in particular the German missions 2,3 and the
Kursk mission three with much better performance. The new Kursk mission 4 is included and the final on the Kursk
mega map for awhile. The next Kursk mission will be on a smaller size map of 18Km x 18Km, Procharovka (the huge tank battle).

Meanwhile the performance issue has my full attention at this time.

Included to is the Kursk Mission one through four are on a single set of raw data files. This will help to keep the
updates down in size and the terrain consistent between missions, very helpful while designing new missions, etc.
The new German single mission one, two and three are using the same single raw data file set as well. Along of course
with an enormous number of new technical changes.

It will take me about an hour and a half to upload the 105mg file and after
that is complete I'll send you new members the link.

Vorwärts Kameraden! :salute:

ZW

eddie 04-24-11 08:28 PM

Only played the first Kursk mission, and didn't last that long either ZW,LOL Got enough Katyusha's lined up against us?:D They are falling out of the sky like a hail storm!!!!!!!!

ZeeWolf 04-24-11 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie (Post 1650232)
Only played the first Kursk mission, and didn't last that long either ZW,LOL Got enough Katyusha's lined up against us?:D They are falling out of the sky like a hail storm!!!!!!!!

Oh heck eddie those are easy to dodge now that you can see'em coming :haha:
But keep at it man!:up:

ZW

eddie 04-24-11 08:53 PM

I never saw the smoke trail from the one that slammed into me though!:DL!

ZeeWolf 04-24-11 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie (Post 1650239)
I never saw the smoke trail from the one that slammed into me though!:DL!

If you were only hit once and it killed you that was either 122mm round or a 152mm round,
they're out there too and blasting away. :o

ZW :salute:

flying-kane 04-25-11 07:20 AM

Hi Zee,

i tested your easter present :woot:.

First: Mission accomplished, performance has increased dramatically! :up:
For example:
3. Zitadelle mission:
before: max 10fps
new update: max 35fps/min 12fps (when heavy arty starts firing)

The other missions are playable for now. I think you are on the right way Zee, thx so much!!!

The new stuff is overwhelming, nice skins and nice Tiger model! The Panther looks so beautiful, can't wait to drive it some day.

After all the praise, some negative things and advices. :oops:

First:
What i have seen, first german mission in normal singleplayer. When planes arrive, all tanks rise their guns and start shooting at them. Dunno, but this isn't very helpfull, i know Tigers have a 88mm gun^^, but i don't think Tigers used them against planes, but on the surface...

Second:
I mentioned it some time before, the penetration model must be tuned.
Today i played first mission. I faced some T34/85 and SU85 on point blank range (ca. 300m-600m), they hit me some times, northing happened to me, only track damaged or "damn, turret is hit!!". Afterwards i wiped them out and started to reach the last point, the hidden Pak and T-34. I was in a save distance for 76mm guns (1200m!!!), but then the paks and T34/76 starts firing on me. After 3 or 4 direct hits, my tank was a burning chunk of metal. Even with tungsten ammo, the 76mm gun is effective against Tigers front until 500m!

Third:
It's more a suggestion than a problem. I don't know if it is possible to implement this. Radio communication with other tanks in your squad, because at the moment other Tigers drive for themselve and sometimes they stand around doing nothing.
A radio menu: Open Fire! Cease Fire! Follow me! Build wedge formation etc...
I think you know what i mean. This would bring more realism to TvT.

That's all for today!!! :salute:

Sincerely Kane

KapitanDP 04-25-11 12:11 PM

ZW,
First, thanks for your efforts :salute: I don't know what all the changes were that you made so it's possible that some fixes to problems below were not included in this mod but I have included everything that I have noticed...

Here are my CPU spec's:
Vista 32 bit
Intel Duo Core 2.66 Ghz
2 GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

Test Mission: Zitadelle Mission 2 - The Gantlet
Video Game Settings: All on Max except Shadows Detail, 1 click from Max

After Easter Mod Results:

1) Checked to see if it would now save my control key settings after leaving and then running program again. It did not.
2) FPS - Basically the same. About 6.6 during the bombardment.
3) Cannot increase Gear setting past G3 from Commander position. Must switch to driver to increase...
4) Tank pulls left or right almost constantly. Difficult to keep tank moving in a straight line (I was in G5 at the time). Terrain??? Or, I thought possibly a Joystick problem so I disconnected the joystick and reloaded, but no change.
5) The change in color of the lower left MFD (tank in a circle) to neon green is difficult to see with green grass terrain underneath. I think I prefer the white/gray color that it was previously. Just my preference.

KDP

ZeeWolf 04-25-11 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flying-kane (Post 1650441)
Hi Zee,

i tested your easter present :woot:.

First: Mission accomplished, performance has increased dramatically! :up:
For example:
3. Zitadelle mission:
before: max 10fps
new update: max 35fps/min 12fps (when heavy arty starts firing)

The other missions are playable for now. I think you are on the right way Zee, thx so much!!!

The new stuff is overwhelming, nice skins and nice Tiger model! The Panther looks so beautiful, can't wait to drive it some day.

After all the praise, some negative things and advices. :oops:

First:
What i have seen, first german mission in normal singleplayer. When planes arrive, all tanks rise their guns and start shooting at them. Dunno, but this isn't very helpfull, i know Tigers have a 88mm gun^^, but i don't think Tigers used them against planes, but on the surface...

Second:
I mentioned it some time before, the penetration model must be tuned.
Today i played first mission. I faced some T34/85 and SU85 on point blank range (ca. 300m-600m), they hit me some times, northing happened to me, only track damaged or "damn, turret is hit!!". Afterwards i wiped them out and started to reach the last point, the hidden Pak and T-34. I was in a save distance for 76mm guns (1200m!!!), but then the paks and T34/76 starts firing on me. After 3 or 4 direct hits, my tank was a burning chunk of metal. Even with tungsten ammo, the 76mm gun is effective against Tigers front until 500m!

Third:
It's more a suggestion than a problem. I don't know if it is possible to implement this. Radio communication with other tanks in your squad, because at the moment other Tigers drive for themselve and sometimes they stand around doing nothing.
A radio menu: Open Fire! Cease Fire! Follow me! Build wedge formation etc...
I think you know what i mean. This would bring more realism to TvT.

That's all for today!!! :salute:

Sincerely Kane

That's great news Kane, I'll stick with it.

Your issues:
First; I will do all I can to get to the bottom of this problem. I am aware
of this and I want to focus on the whole aircraft/ anti-aircraft issue.

Second; I did make some changes with this issue and will continue experimenting until we get it right.

Third; I really like this idea. This will take new code and allot of work but
I totally agree it would be great, but for now please be patient Kamerad.

Until next time :salute:
ZW

ZeeWolf 04-25-11 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KapitanDP (Post 1650619)
ZW,
First, thanks for your efforts :salute: I don't know what all the changes were that you made so it's possible that some fixes to problems below were not included in this mod but I have included everything that I have noticed...

Here are my CPU spec's:
Vista 32 bit
Intel Duo Core 2.66 Ghz
2 GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

Test Mission: Zitadelle Mission 2 - The Gantlet
Video Game Settings: All on Max except Shadows Detail, 1 click from Max

After Easter Mod Results:

1) Checked to see if it would now save my control key settings after leaving and then running program again. It did not.
2) FPS - Basically the same. About 6.6 during the bombardment.
3) Cannot increase Gear setting past G3 from Commander position. Must switch to driver to increase...
4) Tank pulls left or right almost constantly. Difficult to keep tank moving in a straight line (I was in G5 at the time). Terrain??? Or, I thought possibly a Joystick problem so I disconnected the joystick and reloaded, but no change.
5) The change in color of the lower left MFD (tank in a circle) to neon green is difficult to see with green grass terrain underneath. I think I prefer the white/gray color that it was previously. Just my preference.

KDP

Hi KDP,
Is this only in the Kursk missions for you 1-4 issues?
The gear issue definitely sounds like a conflict problem. I must say too
that your Vista 32 in a new area for me I think you are the only one I
have heard from with this OS. Try re-installing TvT and after adding the
ZW Updates try updating (web update) your DirectX. This will give you
a fresh start.
And a note about uninstalling tvt: After doing a Uninstall go to the tvt
folder and delete manually any files and folders below /T34vsTiger:up:

ZW:salute:

KdF 04-25-11 02:44 PM

Ok, Stoopid question.
I finally found my disk and installed a fresh copy of TvsT.
I also have 2 brand new systems both running Win7 (one 32 bit and one 64 bit). Both with SLi and mega memory, so the real question is what do I install to get up to speed? Everything since the beginning or Just last months and this beta????

ZeeWolf 04-25-11 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KdF (Post 1650724)
Ok, Stoopid question.
I finally found my disk and installed a fresh copy of TvsT.
I also have 2 brand new systems both running Win7 (one 32 bit and one 64 bit). Both with SLi and mega memory, so the real question is what do I install to get up to speed? Everything since the beginning or Just last months and this beta????

Hi KdF,
I'll e-mail you the links that you need there is only two; the 2011 feb update
foundation and the Easter Update.

You have the ability with your multiple systems to be of enormous help
and that is awesome:up:

ZW

KdF 04-25-11 04:17 PM

This is what I have built in the last couple of months. Yeah, I have gone a little overboard, but I figure with retirement looming, I better upgrade to where things will work for a while.

Upstairs GameRunner:
ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel SATA 6Gb/ USB 3.0
Intel Core i7 950 Bloomfield 3.06 GHz LGA 1366 130w Quad Core
CoolerMaster V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5 TB SATA 3.0Gb
4 GB Corsair Dominator GT 240 pin DDR3
2 PNY NVIDIA GTX 250 GT's 1GB DDR5 SLI'd
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Downstairs Wifes Computer:
Intel Core i7 960 Bloomfield 3.2 GHz LGA 1366 130w Quad Core
8 GB Corsair Dominator GT 240 pin DDR3
2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 2.0 TB SATA 3.0 Gb
2 EVGA GT 560-ti GTX 1GB DDR5 SLI'd
Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Cant seem to edit my signature, so I will just delete it.

KdF

ZeeWolf 04-25-11 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KdF (Post 1650789)
This is what I have built in the last couple of months. Yeah, I have gone a little overboard, but I figure with retirement looming, I better upgrade to where things will work for a while.

Upstairs GameRunner:
Intel Core i7 950 Bloomfield 3.06 GHz LGA 1366 130w Quad Core
2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5 TB SATA 3.0Gb
4 GB Corsair Dominator GT 240 pin DDR3
2 PNY NVIDIA GTX 250 GT's 1GB DDR5 SLI'd
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Downstairs Wifes Computer:
Intel Core i7 960 Bloomfield 3.2 GHz LGA 1366 130w Quad Core
8 GB Corsair Dominator GT 240 pin DDR3
2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 2.0 TB SATA 3.0 Gb
2 EVGA GT 560-ti GTX 1GB DDR5 SLI'd
Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Cant seem to edit my signature, so I will just delete it.

KdF

That's fantastic, I've learned that Nvidia is the best choice when it comes to video cards for tvt. I have recently come to the conclusion that they
are the best performers with tvt. And have you noticed any deference between win7 64bit over win7 32bit?

ZW