SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   COLD WATERS (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=268)
-   -   SUBSIM: Cold Waters review - A new wave with an old flavor (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=231733)

Onkel Neal 06-10-17 07:53 AM

SUBSIM: Cold Waters review - A new wave with an old flavor

Game Review

Quote:

Killerfish Games is a small but talented dev team that just released a sim that can hold its ground: Cold Waters. I liked KF's previous games; they started with Pacific Fleet, a pleasant mobile game, and then progressed to Atlantic Fleet, which was a turn-based mobile naval game that was ported with success to the PC. Now Cold Waters arrives with real time action all the way and that makes a real difference in the gameplay. Killerfish have spent nearly two years of time and money creating their latest game, billing it as the spiritual successor to Red Storm Rising, a game that many subsim vets remember fondly. And yes, the design stays true to its roots but delivers a lot more visual appeal that its 1988 predecessor.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pict...pictureid=9436

Thresher 06-10-17 08:12 AM

Great review Neal.... :Kaleun_Salute:

StandingCow 06-10-17 08:31 AM

Good stuff! Looks like the game is doing well on steam, hopefully well enough that support can continue!

Stardog765 06-10-17 09:47 AM

Great review and even more exciting for me is the preview of the orders panels. That is so great and I so appreciate these guys adding that for those of us who asked for. It is truly beyond what I expected and just looks so nice.

Thank you!

Topo65 06-10-17 11:54 AM

Excelent review!

Question:
With de new order panel... Can we vary the speed in increments of 1 knot?

USSCheyenne 06-10-17 12:04 PM

Fully agree with the review! Also really nice you could post screens with upcoming UI changes. Looks fantastic.

I bought the game after watching phenomenal Jive Turkey's videos. I feel like KF should pay him something since he's doing such a great job of advertising the game:)

Oh, and hello all!

:Kaleun_Salute:

YoYo 06-10-17 12:49 PM

Thx. Not yet read but Today I hope!

Subnuts 06-10-17 12:54 PM

So if the modded version of Cold Waters is somewhere between the vanilla game and Cold Waters in terms of realism, could they rename it Dangerously Cold Waters?:Kaleun_Wink:

Aktungbby 06-10-17 12:57 PM

welcome aboard firsttime poster!

Quote:

Originally Posted by USSCheyenne
Oh, and hello all

USSCheyenne!:Kaleun_Salute: Oh. and nice year-long silent run till something worthy brought you to the surface!:yeah:

oversoul 06-18-17 02:09 PM

Sometimes it is appropriate to be a diggity a**hole. This is one of those times, and I am one! I linked to your article on my steam review after I got the email. Very good accounting. Carry on smartly.

BoHill 06-18-17 11:09 PM

Neal, excellent review and interesting summary. This sounds like a winner.

Navuhodonosor 06-19-17 12:03 PM

@Onkel Neal, thx for the e-mail Neal, bought the game and I love it:Kaleun_Cheers:

Fearless 06-19-17 04:59 PM

Bought the game and learning the ropes again after a long absence.:Kaleun_Salute:

Matt2503 06-20-17 10:06 AM

What a disappointment!

I was hoping for something similar to 688i HK but how wrong was I.
This game a serious let down. The controls weren't easy to get on with (no "P" for periscope depth) and it lacked realism (no ability to control the towed array).

Onkel Neal 06-20-17 10:59 AM

Check the review, control enhancements are in the works.

Barkhorn1x 06-20-17 12:10 PM

Nice review Neal. Ya brought me back and I purchased last night. Good, FUN, stuff!!!:Kaleun_Cheers:

Onkel Neal 06-20-17 12:32 PM

Aww, sweet. Glad I could spread the joy:)

Fearless 06-20-17 06:39 PM

Yes, I love it.. Did the training and thought lets try out the 1968 campaign... Didn't last long I must say.. got hit by an Oscar that had an active sensor torpedoes. I wasn't fast enough to get out of the way.

I didn't hear the fish coming thus would love to have those sensor stations. Most of all I would love to stand on the bridge when surfaced.

Pytheas 07-22-17 04:00 PM

Hello commanders, :salute:

Would be great to see NATO's naval forces participating & fighting too in tactical map and not being alone.
A force on force naval fights between groups of ships, subs, wolfpacks would be great add-on! Is this possible?
Pytheas

briangoguen 08-03-17 11:49 AM

:k_confused::k_confused:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2490091)

:k_confused: Iwas Expecting my old friend RSR at best ,more modern than SH5 or other newer games .what I got is so much less.
Disappointed hell that a Affirmative .
RSR was what got me in to gaming and even trying a computer.
Gentalmen We have a long way to go but between the game dev and the team here,we can get the job done.Oue boys need something up to par for theie off time.Do it for them.
:Kaleun_Applaud: :Kaleun_Salute: