SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   DW Mod Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   High frequency display for wire-guided torpedoes (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=254126)

Wolfcat 11-30-22 10:56 PM

High frequency display for wire-guided torpedoes

3 Attachment(s)
Not sure if anyone remember the 2018 movie "Hunter Killer"? There is a scene where a torpedo's high frequency sensor's picture is projected on a screen and Americans use it to search for Russian sub. Just wonder if we can model that somehow in DW. I mean almost all subs in the game have high frequency display. If we can redeploy that onto torpedo and allow wire-guided torpedo to "visually" search for target, it would really take the game to a new level. Attached are some the scenes from the movie to illustrate my point.

magicstix 11-30-22 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfcat (Post 2840352)
Not sure if anyone remember the 2018 movie "Hunter Killer"? There is a scene where a torpedo's high frequency sensor's picture is projected on a screen and Americans use it to search for Russian sub. Just wonder if we can model that somehow in DW. I mean almost all subs in the game have high frequency display. If we can redeploy that onto torpedo and allow wire-guided torpedo to "visually" search for target, it would really take the game to a new level. Attached are some the scenes from the movie to illustrate my point.

Modeling new displays in DW doesn't really seem to be a thing. The engine is old and just not modular enough for it.

That said, the display from Hunter-Killer is a work of fiction (it doesn't exist IRL) and doesn't really have any place in what is supposed to be a realistic "study sim." ;)

Ghost Dog 11-30-22 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfcat (Post 2840352)

The only active mod still in development is Reinforce Alert, and they tend to focus on realism not movie dramatics.

Alcon2009 12-02-22 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost Dog (Post 2840355)
The only active mod still in development is Reinforce Alert, and they tend to focus on realism not movie dramatics.

Did you see that im actively developing a mod? seems like you didn't see the post i did before.

Ghost Dog 12-02-22 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcon2009 (Post 2840566)
Did you see that im actively developing a mod? seems like you didn't see the post i did before.

Yes, but your mod isnt available and you said might not even be available until 2024.

Do you plan to introduce a high-frequency sonar manual search/guidance mode like the OP is requesting?

Alcon2009 12-02-22 08:33 PM

The mod is estimated to be released at this month or january, i was exagerating when i said 2024..
AND NO, doing the high frequency torpedo search is possible in my opinion but i won't do this.

Wolfcat 12-02-22 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicstix (Post 2840353)
That said, the display from Hunter-Killer is a work of fiction (it doesn't exist IRL) and doesn't really have any place in what is supposed to be a realistic "study sim." ;)

How do you know it doesn't exist IRL. You served on a VA boat IRL?

magicstix 12-04-22 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfcat (Post 2840655)
How do you know it doesn't exist IRL. You served on a VA boat IRL?

You don't have a need to know.

Alcon2009 12-04-22 05:00 PM

Why doesn't he need to know tho?

magicstix 12-04-22 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcon2009 (Post 2841003)
Why doesn't he need to know tho?

Why *does* he need to know?

Alcon2009 12-04-22 08:53 PM

Oh yeah if we talk about this then i agree :D