SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=193)
-   -   688i (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=157338)

tg 10-16-09 10:02 AM

688i

Could someone tell me if janes 688i runs on windows vista?
Every time i try to run it appears an error message "failed to load a graphics file". I tried to install it again, and this time it doesnt complete the instalation.:damn::damn::damn:
Can anyone tell me what's happening?

Shearwater 10-23-09 06:23 PM

I already had it installed, and it ran without any problems whatsoever (on Vista, that is).
But now, I have the very same problem. Every time I want to install the game, it says "ERROR, Copying files" and all I can do is to cancel. :damn:

Shearwater 10-24-09 06:39 PM

I got it! It works.
Turned out that the original installation was the cause I couldn't install a second time. But now it worked, and here's what I did:

Go to the Windows/System32 folder and delete the following files:
EA1.UIL (there may be some other "EA... .UIL files, you can delete them as well)
EAEXEC
EAREMOVE

That did the trick. Yay me! :woot:
Maybe that solves your problem as well, tg. The game was more or less installed (the installer broke off near the end saying "ERROR copying file"), but every time I wanted to start it I got the exact same error message you posted above.

Hope that helps! :salute:

tg 10-26-09 07:17 PM

688i

thanks a lot for the info shearwater. i deleted the files and i was able to install it. however, im still not able to play it. I already tryed the patch, the new dll files, i tryed to run it in compatibility mode, i tried install it and run it as an administrator but the game still doesnt work.:damn::damn:
Any sugestions:wah::wah: im starting to get desperate.

Shearwater 10-27-09 07:04 PM

I'm beginning to be at my wit's end here as well :-?

Maybe your computer doesn't recognize the CD. It's a wild guess of course, but the best explanation I can come up with at the moment ...
I have made an image of my CD and mount it onto Daemon Tools Lite whenever I need it - works like a charm. Whenever I forget to mount the image, I get that "graphic failed to load" error message.
I have set my .exe to Win98 compatibilty mode, but I think it doesn't affect the game. I know it runs on Vista (though after the first installation, it took me about 5 hours to get it to work again :shifty:), or at least it runs on my version (32-bit, maybe that has something to say).

The uninstall procedure I've posted above was actually a workaround for a different Jane's game, IIRC. Maybe I can dig up the link again where I found it, but it may take a while. I'm afraid that's all for the time being.

tg 10-29-09 10:03 AM

i dont think that it is from the cd; aparently it reads it without any difficulty. however the game starts to run, it shows the first screen, the one where the sub as its bow covered with a flag, then the screen turns black and i hear the first notes of the music, and then...:damn::damn: it crashes, but no error message appears, the screen just stays black. by the way my windows is vista home premium but i dont know if it is 32bit