SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Laptop CD drive not seeing CD. (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=130876)

bradclark1 02-12-08 01:08 PM

Laptop CD drive not seeing CD.

No starforce, uninstalled driver and restarted. Any one have any idea's?

SUBMAN1 02-12-08 01:41 PM

Burned CD or Retail CD? Not enough info. Could have a bad burn - try burning in CLV mode instead of CAV. Copy protection lately even makes my see everything crappy SOny drive not see things first time on retail CD's and DVD's.

Short answer - not enough info on the problem.

ANother idea is that your drives head may be out of alignment. CHeaper probably to buy a new drive than to have it reparied in this case.

-S

bradclark1 02-12-08 07:31 PM

It's all CD's.

SUBMAN1 02-12-08 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradclark1
It's all CD's.

What kind? CD's that were burned with a burner? Or is this CD's that you bought in a store?

bradclark1 02-13-08 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUBMAN1
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradclark1
It's all CD's.

What kind? CD's that were burned with a burner? Or is this CD's that you bought in a store?

Both as in all CD's.

sonar732 02-13-08 12:33 PM

How old is the laptop? Go into your device manager to see if it's "functioning properly". Also, I might suggest that you see if there is another hardware profile that got enabled by accident.

SUBMAN1 02-13-08 01:04 PM

If windows recognizes it as a drive (ie. thinks it is functioning properly), then I'd have to say your drive either has a head misalignment, a bum drive motor, or the lens is scratched. In all cases, it is best to just replace the drive.

-S

bradclark1 02-13-08 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonar732
How old is the laptop? Go into your device manager to see if it's "functioning properly". Also, I might suggest that you see if there is another hardware profile that got enabled by accident.

Two years old. It is functioning properly and profile is correct.

bradclark1 02-13-08 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUBMAN1
If windows recognizes it as a drive (ie. thinks it is functioning properly), then I'd have to say your drive either has a head misalignment, a bum drive motor, or the lens is scratched. In all cases, it is best to just replace the drive.

-S

Yeah, but I was hoping. A good time to convert to DVD writer I guess.

Blacklight 02-13-08 09:25 PM

You may want to try running a CD drive cleaner in there. The lens could just be dirty, but from the information I see, the outlook probably isn't that good and the drive has probably gone Pppppt !

Onkel Neal 02-13-08 09:33 PM

It has to be StarForce. Did you sit your laptop next to a game with SF?

Marriott 02-13-08 09:48 PM

go to my computer and see if the cd is showing up there. If it is and still wont play you may have to right click and choose program to open it with. I've had that happen periodically.

bradclark1 02-13-08 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
It has to be StarForce. Did you sit your laptop next to a game with SF?

ERT and SH2 but both have been on for a while. I ran SF cleaner anyway.

bradclark1 02-13-08 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marriott
go to my computer and see if the cd is showing up there. If it is and still wont play you may have to right click and choose program to open it with. I've had that happen periodically.

Thats the first thing I did.

geetrue 02-13-08 10:44 PM

Try an external USB CD/DVD?burner ... under $50.00