SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Worst Sub movie ever created. (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=195539)

Red October1984 05-24-12 06:31 PM

Worst Sub movie ever created.

The Syfy movie Sea Snakes (or Silent Venom) almost made my face burn off when I watched it. Nothing about the sub was correct except that it goes underwater. Sheesh. Give it a netflix if you think u can stomach it. The sub looks like a 688, but it's a SSK!! Exact quote from movie "this baby runs pretty quiet on electric motors" and the Chinese dropped a DEPTH CHARGE!?!? One charge, somehow, bangs up a 688 SSK. Then, the Chinese shoot a torp. Well that is a disaster. Ugh. Terrible movie.

Overkill 05-24-12 08:46 PM

I've not seen that one but I did see this horrible excuse for a sub movie:

http://images.moviepostershop.com/fu...1020210349.jpg

The only thing good about it was the paneling they picked out to line the inside of the sub's control room. :doh:
I left the movie theater after about 35 minutes of torture. Fortunately "Men at Work" was playing in the adjacent theater. :up:

Red October1984 05-24-12 08:49 PM

Ugh. The poster even looks bad.

S-13 06-01-12 02:53 AM

I love submarines, but I haven't seen enough of them to give an "actual worst" since I'm sure there are ones that deserve the title better to the one I'm going to name, which I'm sure alot of people liked.

With that said, I thought Hunt for Red October was pretty terrible, the whole plot about defecting was bad enough, but the idea of the newest ship in the fleet is given to a Captain who while highly decorated as the movie claims but his loyalty to his country isn't insured especially for a nuclear submarine? and rest of the crew would go along? Let alone the fact supposedly the XO of this ship would be a Political Officer?

It's a decent rambo style cold war action movie, but not my idea of a submarine movie.

Red October1984 06-01-12 09:40 AM

This is strictly my opinion. But. YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!! I thought Hunt for Red October was great!! (hence, my username) I fell in love with the book!! It was the first real sub movie I had sat down to watch. I'm a die-hard Clancy fan. It might not be the MOST realistic situation, but it would make sense to give your brand new sub to the man who is the best in the fleet and who has taken out all the new subs in his career. Would you drop me in a fighter plane to protect your country when the only training I've had is flightsims? Or would you go with the Colonel with many flight decorations and kills painted on his aircraft? Just an opinion. No hard feelings S-13. :D

S-13 06-01-12 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red October1984 (Post 1892135)
This is strictly my opinion. But. YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!! I thought Hunt for Red October was great!! (hence, my username) I fell in love with the book!! It was the first real sub movie I had sat down to watch. I'm a die-hard Clancy fan. It might not be the MOST realistic situation, but it would make sense to give your brand new sub to the man who is the best in the fleet and who has taken out all the new subs in his career. Would you drop me in a fighter plane to protect your country when the only training I've had is flightsims? Or would you go with the Colonel with many flight decorations and kills painted on his aircraft? Just an opinion. No hard feelings S-13. :D

Non-taken, but regardless of this fantasy submarine commander that is given apparently a new submarine every time a new sub comes out of the factory, doesn't explain why a full crew would give up their families and lives, the hero in my opinion of that novel/book was the Cook. :yep:

Platapus 06-01-12 09:34 PM

Full Fathom Five.

Hijacked Nuke sub with the target of Houston Texas?

Does the movie have a happy ending??? :D

Platapus 06-01-12 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S-13 (Post 1892340)
Non-taken, but regardless of this fantasy submarine commander that is given apparently a new submarine every time a new sub comes out of the factory, doesn't explain why a full crew would give up their families and lives, the hero in my opinion of that novel/book was the Cook. :yep:

Been a while since I saw the movie, but in the book, it was described how the Captain was handpicking and grooming key officers for this defection. So it was not a random crew deciding to defect. I am not sure the movie made that clear.

Hinrich Schwab 06-01-12 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red October1984 (Post 1888643)
Ugh. The poster even looks bad.

Oh yeah. It's horrible. Notice the Typhoon in the poster has Kirov written in Cyrillic on the side? A Kirov is a class of heavy guided missile cruiser. A complete and obvious failure to research. :k_rofl:

Hinrich Schwab 06-01-12 10:41 PM

Quote:

...the hero in my opinion of that novel/book was the Cook. :yep:

Not sure if trolling...
:k_confused:

TLAM Strike 06-02-12 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red October1984 (Post 1888593)
...the Chinese dropped a DEPTH CHARGE!?!?

The Chinese Navy still uses them on their older destroyers and small combatants. Also their Russian made destroyers can deploy them using the mine laying rails.

Hinrich Schwab 06-02-12 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLAM Strike (Post 1892632)
The Chinese Navy still uses them on their older destroyers and small combatants. Also their Russian made destroyers can deploy them using the mine laying rails.

If I am not mistaken, many smaller nations that have Soviet/Russian naval vessels and gear still have depth charge laying vessels. I remember reading somewhere that the Cuban Navy (yes, they have one. :D) has patrol craft that have DCs.

flymar 08-13-12 07:22 PM

Quote:

They didn't. Only officers. And the officers were chosen by Ramius. Large part of the plot (in book) was about how to get the crew back to USSR without them knowing about defection.

TLAM Strike 08-13-12 07:59 PM

Actually the worse submarine movie ever made has to be Agent Red. We are talking MST3K bad.

Red October1984 08-13-12 08:32 PM

The list goes on..... :nope:

Such a sad thing that people actually watch these movies.

With the exception of Hunt For Red October. That is the only good one discussed in this thread. But the book was a million times better.