SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270)

CapnScurvy 06-21-16 07:40 AM

Quote:

Capn, I was messing around with binoculars and suddenly realized I was messing in your file! Could you do a simple tweak where binocular vision is actually obstructed when the conning tower, other crewmember, etc, is in the way?
Yes, I can. The "clipping" distance is where you tweak. I have no problem in putting in a smaller clipped distance to have the binoculars obstructed.

How about the TBT? Want it obscured as well? When I think of it, perhaps the TBT should be only covering the front, say, 240 degrees or so. The things are positioned on the front of the bridge on most subs....no way it can be used to the rear unless the Captain is standing in mid air. I'll see if that can be changed too.

================

Quote:

2. Couldn't find a stopwatch to save my life, it was not the x key or any other letter on the keyboard that I could find.

3. All key commands were stock, nothing from TMO.
I've been putting together a keyboard modification for FOTRS. It will correct these two issues, plus others. I'll have a printable Keyboard Layout when I'm done...so hang in there, its coming.

One thing I noticed, FOTRS has the "Snorkel Depth" set to 400 meters in the various sub .cfg files?? What the heck are they doing? I found this when I was looking at the keyboard command (which I'll use as a "Radar Depth" keyboard command). The "R" key command will put the sub at about half submerged....giving the SJ Radar antenna clearance above the water. The SD Radar will have the capability to toggle up/down using the "T" key (which FOTRS already has). This will give the sub the ability to stay completely submerged, yet run up the SD antenna for aircraft checks.

===================

Quote:

Well, "The Sound" is loud, and continues to occur after surfacing - or anything, for that matter. It sounds like someone is hitting a pipe with a pipe wrench, right next to you. However, I am interested in the sound you've encountered. What boat are you using in this case? Did you have to "go deep" before it sounded, or did it start immediately? Or only when submerged, like some sound is emulating a bent fan blade, and that fan only "runs" while submerged?

HMMMMMM!! I'm wondering out loud?

I've run into the file of an "interior.fanblade" in the subs .dsd file......yet in the v1.3 of FOTRS no such .wav file exists. So, in v1.3 no such sound is present. I'm not at home now to look (babysitting duties today) does the file exist in the sounds folder of v2.0? If that's the file your working with (or playing in-game) maybe that's exactly what your hearing. I think I would remove the .wav file from the sound folder and try to see if that's not the problem sound? If it is, we can do without the fan blades sound!

Rockin Robbins 06-21-16 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnScurvy (Post 2413176)
Yes, I can. The "clipping" distance is where you tweak. I have no problem in putting in a smaller clipped distance to have the binoculars obstructed.

How about the TBT? Want it obscured as well? When I think of it, perhaps the TBT should be only covering the front, say, 240 degrees or so. The things are positioned on the front of the bridge on most subs....no way it can be used to the rear unless the Captain is standing in mid air. I'll see if that can be changed too.

================

Yes, wonder why the devs let the periscopes be obstructed but not the binoculars and TBT? I did a mod for obstructed binoculars for RFB and was going to do the same tweak here, but suddenly realized I was messing with YOUR FILE. Can't have two simultaneous tweaks of the same file without forcing players to choose between the two so I passed the hot potato. Or potatoe if I'm Dan Quayle. Haven't heard that guy's name in ten years.....

Quote:

I've been putting together a keyboard modification for FOTRS. It will correct these two issues, plus others. I'll have a printable Keyboard Layout when I'm done...so hang in there, its coming.

One thing I noticed, FOTRS has the "Snorkel Depth" set to 400 meters in the various sub .cfg files?? What the heck are they doing? I found this when I was looking at the keyboard command (which I'll use as a "Radar Depth" keyboard command). The "R" key command will put the sub at about half submerged....giving the SJ Radar antenna clearance above the water. The SD Radar will have the capability to toggle up/down using the "T" key (which FOTRS already has). This will give the sub the ability to stay completely submerged, yet run up the SD antenna for aircraft checks.

===================

Already in the plugins section are TMOKeys, GFOKeys and STOCKeys and each contains the Keyboard Configurator program so players can change the keyboard layout to anything. Using TMOKeys, the x brought up the stopwatch with no problem. Also the semicolon brought the boat to radar depth even though the crew shouted "rig dive planes for deep dive." Yes, what WERE they thinking?

But at any rate, keyboard layouts are already solved.

However, if you're just talking about making the built-in FOTRS keyboard layout work, we'll meld your keyboard mod into the core mod. Can't have a supermod where the stopwatch doesn't work. Side story: the RFB Team understood the attack map so poorly that they completely took it out of the game, removing it from HUD and keyboard layout! Talk about short-sighted! So the AOTD aren't alone. Getting tunnel vision while modding is a definite hazard.

But the stopwatch for FOTRS is another abomination. Who thought that the minutes hand on the top small dial should be dark blue and pretty difficult to read? Should be white. And the same for the even worse black hand on the seconds dial on the bottom! Also should be white. Could we fix that for the core mod?

Quote:

HMMMMMM!! I'm wondering out loud?

I've run into the file of an "interior.fanblade" in the subs .dsd file......yet in the v1.3 of FOTRS no such .wav file exists. So, in v1.3 no such sound is present. I'm not at home now to look (babysitting duties today) does the file exist in the sounds folder of v2.0? If that's the file your working with (or playing in-game) maybe that's exactly what your hearing. I think I would remove the .wav file from the sound folder and try to see if that's not the problem sound? If it is, we can do without the fan blades sound!

It's a possibility! Propbeanie, that's your cue!:up:

cdrsubron7 06-21-16 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2413149)
Well, "The Sound" is loud, and continues to occur after surfacing - or anything, for that matter. It sounds like someone is hitting a pipe with a pipe wrench, right next to you. However, I am interested in the sound you've encountered. What boat are you using in this case? Did you have to "go deep" before it sounded, or did it start immediately? Or only when submerged, like some sound is emulating a bent fan blade, and that fan only "runs" while submerged?

I was using a Gato in June, '43. The sound occurred when heading deep or when I was at periscope depth. I mentioned hearing this same sound when we first started the project. Seems like two difference sounds we're getting here. Can't say I've heard the one described by you, propbeanie.

Rockin Robbins 06-21-16 10:27 AM

Another issue:
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...psqiyimck9.jpg

The menu. I'm working on it now and will have an update in just a bit.

Rockin Robbins 06-21-16 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 (Post 2413103)
I've been campaigning with the alpha mod for the last few hours and here are some things I've noticed sofar.

1. Much of the written orders are in German, patrol orders, end of patrol summary....etc.

2. Couldn't find a stopwatch to save my life, it was not the x key or any other letter on the keyboard that I could find.

3. All key commands were stock, nothing from TMO.

4. I heard a sound. Kind of a tinging followed by sound like a fan blade hitting a grill cover. Noise occurred when at PD or deeper. Did not hear it when surfaced or using TC.

These were just the things that stood out while playing otherwise it wasn't too bad. :D

Deserves a detailed response!

1. Must be fixed. We'll substitute the English stuff from 1.3. Actually that means taking the German stuff out!

2. That's a function of the keyboard commands. I couldn't stand the new 2.0 keyboard layout so I substituted TMOKeys and the stopwatch works fine. CapnScurvy is working on making the native FOTRS2 keyboard actually work right.

3. Covered with #2

4. Super detective work on "the sound." That thing is determined to drive us crazy!

CapnScurvy 06-21-16 11:35 AM

Quote:

But the stopwatch for FOTRS is another abomination. Who thought that the minutes hand on the top small dial should be dark blue and pretty difficult to read? Should be white. And the same for the even worse black hand on the seconds dial on the bottom! Also should be white. Could we fix that for the core mod?
Yes I noticed that as well. The differences between the stock game menu_1024_768 and FOTRS v1.3, is very small. BUT, their messing with the stop watch was a large part of the differences!? I think the hands can be changed in color...I'll look into it.

Quote:

....at any rate, keyboard layouts are already solved.

However, if you're just talking about making the built-in FOTRS keyboard layout work, we'll meld your keyboard mod into the core mod.
I've made a different layout than the FOTRS key board layout (couldn't figure out what they were trying to do?). Seems there are a couple of us working on the same thing.

With my interiors your getting a radio room. This room will need to have a keyboard command to go to its free camera, much like the command and conning rooms do. Sorry not to post all the upgrades but I'm still working on it. It's no small undertaking since SH4 v1.5 has both American and German sides "joined at the hip" with things like periscope views, or key board commands.

Which brings me to a question. The ReadMe for FOTRS states the mod makes the German side unplayable. What did they do? Pull out stock parts to the German side? I've had to run tests on the optics over on the German side...with no trouble. So what exactly are they referring to? My suspicion is they didn't modify anything on their side, yet the stock game will still work as intended. Or, has anyone seen something different?

================

Quote:

Another issue:

The menu. I'm working on it now and will have an update in just a bit.
Well wouldn't you know. I've done the same.

My reason to doing it is because of the various highlights one makes when moussing over the interiors. Like the gauges, or door ways that lead to another room. Maybe a map, or clipboard left on a desk will take you to the Weather Report, or Crew Management page. Having a description of what the mouse will do when left clicked, comes from the menu.txt file.

Rockin Robbins 06-21-16 12:03 PM

Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate v.02Alpha is now uploading with corrected menu and credit screens. Don't mind the font on the "Ultimate Edition v.02Alpha." It's just a placeholder until I work up something more attractive.

cdrsubron7 06-21-16 12:24 PM

Question. The depth gauge on the taskbar in all the versions of SH4 has always been at 450 ft. When you are in command in a Balao Class sub and you want to dive deeper than 450' you either have to use the gauge in the Control Room or hit F9 and use the gauge there. Is it possible to make the depth gauge on the taskbar go to 600' also? :06:

Rockin Robbins 06-21-16 12:35 PM

Rising Sun Ultimate v.02Alpha is now available. If you're in the middle of a gameplay test, don't bother until you're done. Changes are only to the menu, splash screen and credits.

XTBilly 06-21-16 12:40 PM

I'm having a problem to report.

In the sub management screen, I cannot open the weapons & sensors control station. Neither from the top or the down buttons. Does anyone else experience this?

Rockin Robbins 06-21-16 02:53 PM

All this German is getting to me! Looks like a bit of surgery is in order to restore some files from 1.3. Who wants to tackle re-Englishifying?:D:D

You know, I'm not sure I could get into weapons and sensors in TMO.

propbeanie 06-21-16 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnScurvy (Post 2413207)
… Which brings me to a question. The ReadMe for FOTRS states the mod makes the German side unplayable. What did they do? Pull out stock parts to the German side?

I suspect a ship or boat missing, or something modified for use, to where they got CTDs regularly. You can get CTDs rather easily with a US boat if you enable the full FotRSv2 in SH4v1.5, shoot a torp at a ship, and then try to follow it in with the free camera. Just about a hundred yards out, "This program has performed an illegal operation and has been terminated..." I've gotten them under all sorts of circumstances, including the German side. Not every time (if I'm remembering correctly), but I've used several missions and will get one all too often. Nothing like "rushing" to get into position for a solid hour, have a nice shot, only to have the game crash, even if it is just a test run of the game. I don't get that with what we have in the alpha thus far...

CapnScurvy 06-21-16 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 (Post 2413214)
Question. The depth gauge on the taskbar in all the versions of SH4 has always been at 450 ft. When you are in command in a Balao Class sub and you want to dive deeper than 450' you either have to use the gauge in the Control Room or hit F9 and use the gauge there. Is it possible to make the depth gauge on the taskbar go to 600' also? :06:

Yes. but I'm ok with the stock gauge.

With my interiors, the gauges will respond directly to a mouse click. The Depth gauge will take you to what ever you click. Depending on the sub you're in, the top reading is either 450 or 600 feet. However, I've also allowed the subs to dive beyond these limitations by the use of the "D" Dive key. You can go down as far as you dare.....until the pressure won't allow for a return and you know you're soon to implode! The HUD Depth dials will peg out at their respective max figure but there's a digital depth reading next to them that will show you your true depth. I just never quite figured why the game didn't allow you to stretch the envelope of depth with a sub that will surprise you with how deep it can go. Just remember, there is a limit of no return.

=================

Quote:

I suspect a ship or boat missing, or something modified for use, to where they got CTDs regularly. You can get CTDs rather easily with a US boat if you enable the full FotRSv2 in SH4v1.5, shoot a torp at a ship, and then try to follow it in with the free camera. Just about a hundred yards out, "This program has performed an illegal operation and has been terminated..." I've gotten them under all sorts of circumstances, including the German side. Not every time (if I'm remembering correctly), but I've used several missions and will get one all too often. Nothing like "rushing" to get into position for a solid hour, have a nice shot, only to have the game crash, even if it is just a test run of the game. I don't get that with what we have in the alpha thus far...
Really. hmmmm.

I can see why you'll get a SH4 v1.4 mod (like FOTRS v2) to CTD when running it in SH4 v1.5.....but I'm surprised they left out something that was working just fine with their FOTRS v1.3??? That's a head scratcher.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that's lacking within the FOTRS v1.3 is the ships and their campaign files that put them into action. The rest of v1.3 should work just fine UNLESS those guys just didn't pay attention to what they were doing!! There's just no way they should have screwed the German side by not completing their mod for it too. Believe me, if I had MY way I'd take the German side of things completely out of SH4 v1.5....but you don't mess up that part of the game if you've made a mod for it. Mods should enhance the game, not prevent already working parts from working as they should. :06:

cdrsubron7 06-21-16 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2413244)

The first time I opened up the Alpha mod and started a career on the first patrol when using the free camera to watch the torpedoes hit the merchant I aimed at, as soon as the torpedoes hit the whole game froze. It was only this one time, I've not had it happen again sofar.

cdrsubron7 06-21-16 03:41 PM

Quote:

All this German is getting to me! Looks like a bit of surgery is in order to restore some files from 1.3. Who wants to tackle re-Englishifying?
For the uninformed, what does removing the written German involve. :hmmm: