SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   DW Mod Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   How to change DEMs files or a coastline? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=79656)

Allan 07-21-05 01:37 PM

We need to be able to mod the terrain database

The game is great, but unless you're blue water or well out at the edge of the littoral zone the terrain database is pretty bad.

For exmaple, Halifax harbour in Nova Scotia is cut in half by some kind of anomalous land mass, the islands at the mouth of the harbour are missing, and the bathymetry is way off.

Now, I know this is to be expected given that the entire world is represented, so, how can we modify the terrain database to put in the detail we need for proper littoral scenarios?

I have access to DTED information of just about anything I want, but I need to know what format it should end up in.

-Allan

Fish 07-21-05 01:45 PM

During beta testing this was a item we discussed, this is a part of what Jamie says about:

Quote:

We are using DTED Level 0 data for our worldwide bathymetry and topography data. This file is 127MB all by itself. To upgrade to DTED Level 1 makes the worldwide DB approximately 12.7GB...

- Jamie

--------------------
- Jamie Carlson
(Sonalysts Inc.)

SquidB 07-21-05 01:53 PM

Hmmm Im far from an expert at this, but i do know that terrain meshes created from space shuttle scans of the earth are freely availible on the net.

Microsoft flight sim had a number of freeware addons created around this data.

Now i know that the size of these files can be large. So why not raise the DEM of the most inportant places? IE murmansk and nova scotia. If its possible just to raise the LOD for a local area surely that could be an answer?

Allan 07-21-05 01:57 PM

Actually, I wouldn't care too much about the size of the data file for a modded world. After all, if I want to put a 12.7GB file on my hard drive then so what? If I have to mail that to you on CDROM then, fine, it's too much.

So, are those world files standard DTED information in an open format? If so, can I just call up the mapping and charting guys and have them generate a new world for me?

I suppose DW would probably choke on the higher resolution files....

-Allan

Ramius 07-21-05 02:18 PM

I believe there is sites around that have the files available for free download, and some that make you oay for them.

Regarding converting them into the required format for DW - i have no idea at all. But I definately would like to find out.
Would be a great addition for those of us who have or can get access to DTED files :cool:

SquidB 07-21-05 02:24 PM

Not sure what format they are in, seems they were easily converted so MFS could use them. The resolution would be a vast improvement over what we currently have.

If you take a look on avsim or flightsim.com's file libarary you sould find them easy enough.

heres a bit more info on whats been going on.

Quote:

Raimondo Taburet, owner and webmaster of FSfreeware.com and famous in the Flight Simulator world for his many terrain mesh products, has now started to release a new series of European terrain mesh for FS2002 and FS2004, based on the SRTM data from NIMA/NASA. The mesh is of a 76.4 meter resolution, which makes it a lot more detailed than the default mesh provided by Microsoft for this region.

The Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) obtained elevation data on a near-global scale to generate the most complete high-resolution digital topographic database of Earth. SRTM consisted of a specially modified radar system that flew onboard the Space Shuttle Endeavour during an 11-day mission in February of 2000. SRTM is an international project spearheaded by the National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA) and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA
For info on the raw data catch this url http://srtm.usgs.gov/

Ula Jolly 07-21-05 02:41 PM

All the while reading this, I hear something inside me scream, "Give me this 12,7 GB file to download, and I shall download!!!". :nope:

Seeadler 07-21-05 04:20 PM

As far as I know the DEM's used in DW are merged files from GTOPO30 and TerrainBase Data

XabbaRus 07-21-05 04:49 PM

This is a topic I am going to make a sticky in the hope that Jamie and SCS will take note and somehow modify some of the land data.

I would be happy if for some areas, ie the Bosphorus and Panama canal they would jack terrain generation being read from DEMs and instead use a terrain algorithm that would work on preprogrammed points to draw it in.

It would take some work but if they could come up with a work around I would be happy. It was something I thought would be fixed in DW as you could have some fun missions in these areas.

Anyway here's hoping.

Ula Jolly 07-21-05 05:13 PM

This global data only applies for coastlines, right? If it did not, meaning the whole globe would be more accurately depictured, you could simply UNdraw a large area by freehand, like inland America, Eurasia and Africa, from the map. Perhaps that would reduce some of the file size? It'd be as a... layer.
Ah, probably not the way it works. :up:
Needless to say, I would wet my pants in glee for a more accurate Norwegian coast.

Seeadler 07-21-05 05:21 PM

According to the DW binary files:

TerrainTypes.dem = based on Global Ecosystems Data
WCDEM.dem = Merged Gtopo30 and TerrainBase Data
wcicd01-12.dem = Ice Coverage Data from January to December, based on ???

perhaps all data sets with slight modification/reorganisation of the original format to suit the DW terrain engine.

SquidB 07-21-05 07:03 PM

The data availible allows us to modify the entire globe.

I would suggest that only the pertinate areas recive the special treatment.

those such as that are commonly seen. By all means download the alps. Just dont expect to see a difference in game :rotfl:

MaHuJa 07-21-05 08:04 PM

I believe that if only the areas for littorals were included, the file would shrink a lot from the 12Gb...

If the game engine can handle such a 'two-layer' map is another thing entirely though.

Kapitan 08-18-05 06:00 PM

also the kola peninsular regioun the white sea and so on are too shallow

Pigfish 08-18-05 08:14 PM

Getting out of Bremerton, WA via the Juan de Fuca strait submerged would be my pick. :lol: