SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Wolfpack (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=277)
-   -   Development Updates (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226377)

klingenj 10-06-16 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BL!TZKR!EG (Post 2438934)
Nice updates! :Kaleun_Applaud:
Is there any way to directly contact Einar? When we met in Germany, I forgot to exchange contact data. :/\\!!

They seem eager to answer through their facebook page "Wolfpack Game". :up:

Onkel Neal 10-06-16 10:05 AM

Yep, and you can PM them here. But they are very busy, so direct your questions here.

redcoat22 10-12-16 10:58 AM

Dying for an update over here....:salute:

Onkel Neal 10-14-16 03:06 PM

We should have something coming up later today.

Onkel Neal 10-15-16 10:18 AM

Periscopes and object position calculations

http://www.wolfpackgame.com/img/updates/dev51.jpg

Ethaninja 10-17-16 09:27 PM

Help

Hey guys,

just wondering if it's possible for us to contribute to the game in more ways then donations? Such as assets and voices and what not.

mstram 10-20-16 05:31 AM

Hi guys,

I just started playing with the demo, and have to say, I'm very impressed !

I have "dabbled" with Unity in the past, but have never produced anything as "slick" as the current demo :)

Some q's & comments :

1) It would be helpful if a note was added to the download page for the demo or (better yet a README) briefly summarizing what is working / not in the demo.

2)I.e. is the radio direction finder working ?
When I rotate the "bearing indicator" of the "RDF" to match what I'm hearing on the sonar, the radio transmissions are not getting "silenced"

3) Periscope - Are there plans to add bearing indicators "inside" the periscope "view". I.e, a "bearing ring"

It's a bit cumbersome now to have to keep RMB "exiting" the periscope view to see what bearing the periscope is aimed at

4) Map
A "zoom reset (to max-zoom-out)" key / mouse click-combo would be handy.

A "center-on-ship" key (i.e. if map has been panned away from the ship)

5) Speed indicator / direction indicator :
I see there is a direction indicator on both the front and back of the ship.

It would be useful to add a speed indicator near the back-direction indicator.

It would useful to have the speed indicator also visible near the periscope's current bearing indicator

Great work !, Keep it up !

Mike

mstram 10-20-16 07:12 AM

Detection / destruction realism

I think the A.I. detection abilities in the demo are a bit "off".

On surfacing the ship from periscope depth, it takes ~10 seconds for the sub to be destroyed, presumably from an incoming destroyer shell?

Onkel Neal 10-22-16 06:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
TDC, UZO BINOCULARS, AND THE ECHO RANGER

klingenj 10-22-16 09:48 AM

loving these updates.. thank you for posting once every week! :yeah:

redcoat22 10-25-16 02:52 PM

It's fun to watch the progress; can we get a video tour of the updated boat? Are you modeling the entire boat or only a few select areas?

Onkel Neal 10-25-16 04:02 PM

They are still in the shipyard, but there is a video tour in one of the earlier dev updates.

We are modeling the Control Room, radio room, conning tower, bridge and fore deck. You won't have time to go sightseeing, there are ships to be sunk. :Kaleun_Salute:

Onkel Neal 10-28-16 08:27 AM

Some big news about the TDC and periscopes coming later today.

Posted here

PL_Andrev 10-29-16 11:46 AM

Is it really true that torpedo ignition type (magnetic, contact) were set by TDC?
:hmmm:

Chromatix 10-30-16 05:17 PM

All the data I can find says that U-boat captains "were able to choose" between magnetic and impact pistols, and not merely at port. Nor was it a question of not-officially-authorised modifications by skilled torpedomen, as it was in the USN; Dönitz famously sent orders for U-boats already on patrol to change their pistol settings forthwith.

However, an otherwise very detailed description of the U-boat torpedo fire control system completely fails to mention anything about setting the pistol type. There doesn't seem to be any such control on the boxes responsible for gyro settings, tube/salvo selection etc. It's harder to be sure about the tubes themselves, as they are positively festooned with valves and latches.

Reasonable possibilities, in increasing order of time required from decision to torpedo readiness:

- Remote control exists, hitherto unnoticed, in conning tower or control room. The captain would be able to set it himself.

- Controls exist on outside of tube, as with depth setting. (I consider this the most likely possibility for German torpedoes.) This would need only a few seconds after a verbal order.

- Control is accessible on outside of torpedo, but must be withdrawn from tube to set it. This would require several minutes per torpedo; difficult when already tactically engaged.

- Torpedo must be opened to access mechanism. (This is the case for USN Mark 14 torpedoes.) This would require as much as an hour per torpedo; totally impractical while in combat or even while pursuing a target.