SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Do Drills improve crew capabilities (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=245098)

Pitts2112 05-14-20 05:47 AM

Do Drills improve crew capabilities

Does doing drills enroute to assigned patrol areas do anything to improve crew skill ratings? About the only drills I can think of doing are dives, crash dives, emergency surface, that sort of thing. Obviously in real life, diving drills improved dive times, I'm just wondering if that modeling has been incorporated into the game or FOTRU.

XenonSurf 05-14-20 07:24 AM

That would be cool, but I doubt this has any effect, quite the contrary: I find the initial 'Fatigue' level quite high, around 25 and putting the crew in Battle Stations will increase fatigue quickly and the recovery is rather slow. Putting your crew on alert too often could be a serious jeopardy later when you really need them, so I think the lesser they are busy, the fresher they are.

However, I think their 'Ability' get increased when you sink ships, in the crew description you will see something like "82 (80+2)" where the +2 is the added skill. I'm not yet sure if this is only related to sinking ships.

There are huge differences in 'Skills' which really matter, much more than fatigue; you can see that when the green bars get filled if you place a skilled crewman in a compartment appropriate for his skill (mechanical, guns etc.).

XS

Pitts2112 05-14-20 07:54 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Col7777 05-14-20 10:58 AM

You never know the cook might be a better shot than the AA Gun guy lol.

Col.

KaleunMarco 05-14-20 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitts2112 (Post 2670550)
Does doing drills enroute to assigned patrol areas do anything to improve crew skill ratings? About the only drills I can think of doing are dives, crash dives, emergency surface, that sort of thing. Obviously in real life, diving drills improved dive times, I'm just wondering if that modeling has been incorporated into the game or FOTRU.

unfortunately, no.
it would have been closer to real life if each crew added some skill after each mission but that is not how Ubi coded it.
there are two ways to add to skill.
  1. promotion
  2. editing the Active.Savegame file.

you use Microsoft Notepad to edit the Savegame file. :D

good luck.:Kaleun_Salute:

propbeanie 05-14-20 05:31 PM

What would be really nice (but a failure in all attempts thus far), is to have a "towed target" as you are leaving home to go on patrol... unfortunately, any warship towing such wants to shoot at the "target" also... the submarine gets caught in a cross-fire situation... Not cool... "Skipper, I thought this was supposed to be practice, not fratricide!!!" "Medic!!!"

Now, the "hulk" idea has been done, and does work, but alas, no points, since it won't sink. But there are ways to fool the game... "It's not ~nice~ to fool Silent Hunter!!!" :salute:

Bilge_Rat 05-17-20 08:02 AM

yes, drills make no difference.

As you sink ships and complete missions, you gain renown points that you can use to get crewmen with special skills. There are CPOs that decrease diving time so can eventually get dive time from around a minute to 35 seconds (TMO).

A bit gamey, but it does reflect that as a crew gains experience, they get better at their jobs.