SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Full Circle (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=254365)

cdrsubron7 01-10-23 11:23 AM

Full Circle

Over twenty years ago I visited these same pages looking for a solution to getting Silent Hunter: The Commander's Edition to run on an old Compaq computer, which was the very first computer I ever owned. It took a very long time to find a solution and the solution turned out to be a small graphics utility with which I had to install a line in DOS, so when the computer booted up every time this graphics utility would run, which in turn enabled the SH:TCE to run.

Now I'm back again seeking a similar solution. But this time it's getting SH4:WOTP to run on Windows 11. I have perused the threads pertaining to running SH4 on the Win 11. I keep coming up against a wall called the User Account Control. The UAC won't allow me to run SH4. So, I'm back here again seeking a solution that allows me to dive into the waters of the Pacific once more.

KaleunMarco 01-10-23 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 (Post 2846709)
Now I'm back again seeking a similar solution. But this time it's getting SH4:WOTP to run on Windows 11. I have perused the threads pertaining to running SH4 on the Win 11. I keep coming up against a wall called the User Account Control. The UAC won't allow me to run SH4. So, I'm back here again seeking a solution that allows me to dive into the waters of the Pacific once more.

have to ask the table-stakes-questions, no offense intended:

have you reviewed the sh4.exe Properties and
1. unchecked the Read-only box
2. on the Properties-Compatibility panel, have you selected one of the older versions of Windows such as Vista or Win7?
3. assuming that you are an administrator on this PC, have you tried the Properties-Compatibility Run AS Administrator?

Lastly, (actually, this should be firstly) is SH4:WOTP installed in a folder not in \Windows folder which is the default?

unrelated to this, since we both live in the Chicago area, we should get together for a beer. Neutral site. send me a PM if you are game.

cdrsubron7 01-10-23 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaleunMarco (Post 2846710)
have to ask the table-stakes-questions, no offense intended:

have you reviewed the sh4.exe Properties and
1. unchecked the Read-only box
2. on the Properties-Compatibility panel, have you selected one of the older versions of Windows such as Vista or Win7?
3. assuming that you are an administrator on this PC, have you tried the Properties-Compatibility Run AS Administrator?

Lastly, (actually, this should be firstly) is SH4:WOTP installed in a folder not in \Windows folder which is the default?

unrelated to this, since we both live in the Chicago area, we should get together for a beer. Neutral site. send me a PM if you are game.

Yes, to all your questions. Even turned the UAC down a notch, but nothing has helped sofar. Thanks for helping. :up:

propbeanie 01-10-23 12:17 PM

cdrsubron7!!! Excellent to see you again! I well-remember those SH1 days, with you and aanker and Hitman helping me out... Good people! - and those missions you made for SH1 - stellar stuff! :salute:

In addition to what KM says there, there is also the High DPI and related stuff. I will have to get a "fresh" picture for Win11, but the idea is still the same as from Win 7 & 10. In Win11, you might also have to deal with the scaling more, since Win11 is more invasive than 10 in that regard. Here is a picture from 10:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pic...ictureid=12763

I'll come back in a bit with a Win11 screenie that would be similar. What kind of computer are you using though? My newer laptop with a 15", 1920x1080 resolution screen has the dad-blamed "Scale" set at 125%, which just absolutely trashes SH4, so I also use that "Program DPI" "Scaling" thingie on the top portion of the top winder there, and set it to when I open the application that it just does 100%. I'll have to go boot the laptop in order to get a grab though, and it is unavailable at this time, in use with another family member... :roll:

cdrsubron7 01-10-23 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2846721)
cdrsubron7!!! Excellent to see you again! I well-remember those SH1 days, with you and aanker and Hitman helping me out... Good people! - and those missions you made for SH1 - stellar stuff! :salute:

In addition to what KM says there, there is also the High DPI and related stuff. I will have to get a "fresh" picture for Win11, but the idea is still the same as from Win 7 & 10. In Win11, you might also have to deal with the scaling more, since Win11 is more invasive than 10 in that regard. Here is a picture from 10:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pic...ictureid=12763

I'll come back in a bit with a Win11 screenie that would be similar. What kind of computer are you using though? My newer laptop with a 15", 1920x1080 resolution screen has the dad-blamed "Scale" set at 125%, which just absolutely trashes SH4, so I also use that "Program DPI" "Scaling" thingie on the top portion of the top winder there, and set it to when I open the application that it just does 100%. I'll have to go boot the laptop in order to get a grab though, and it is unavailable at this time, in use with another family member... :roll:

Same I've always used, a desktop.

KaleunMarco 01-10-23 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 (Post 2846713)
Yes, to all your questions. Even turned the UAC down a notch, but nothing has helped sofar. Thanks for helping. :up:

i will give this more thought.
more than likely, it is a "setting" that is preventing it from running.
:hmmm::timeout:

propbeanie 01-10-23 03:03 PM

Here's that Win11 screenie:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pic...ictureid=12948

Since you have a desktop, you shouldn't have to mess with that "Scale" stuff, unless you are running a super hi def, or wide screen, such as 3840x2160 or the like, on a 27" or larger display. I'm certain you're aware, but if you are using a disk version of the game, be sure you install the DirectX9 and codecs, but NOT Game Shadow or the Acrobat Reader.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pic...ictureid=12949

KaleunMarco 01-10-23 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2846750)
be sure you install the DirectX9 and codecs, but NOT Game Shadow or the Acrobat Reader.

yeah, i forgot about this one.
i KNEW there was one more caveat!!!!

cdrsubron7 01-10-23 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaleunMarco (Post 2846756)
yeah, i forgot about this one.
i KNEW there was one more caveat!!!!

LOL, I'm not a complete novice. DX 9.0c and Codecs were installed first thing, along with SH4.

cdrsubron7 01-10-23 04:16 PM

Still getting the same results as before, even with your help, pb.

propbeanie 01-10-23 05:45 PM

What are your system specs cdrsubron7? In other words, cpu, motherboard (if you have the model), RAM amount, I am assuming Windows 11 64-bit, what hard drive or SSD drive you have the game installed on, video card, etc., also where on that drive you have the game installed, such as "C:\Games \Silent Hunter 4..." and if you have tried adding mods already? If you have, which ones, and also if you have, did you use the 4Gig Patch or LAA on the SH4.exe? I'm almost certain we're missing something simple... btw, I was like 99.999% certain you hadn't fallen of the bicycle hard enough to hit your head, and had probably remembered all the noob stuff, but just in case another user comes by and doesn't know... lol :salute:

cdrsubron7 01-10-23 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2846783)
What are your system specs cdrsubron7? In other words, cpu, motherboard (if you have the model), RAM amount, I am assuming Windows 11 64-bit, what hard drive or SSD drive you have the game installed on, video card, etc., also where on that drive you have the game installed, such as "C:\Games \Silent Hunter 4..." and if you have tried adding mods already? If you have, which ones, and also if you have, did you use the 4Gig Patch or LAA on the SH4.exe? I'm almost certain we're missing something simple... btw, I was like 99.999% certain you hadn't fallen of the bicycle hard enough to hit your head, and had probably remembered all the noob stuff, but just in case another user comes by and doesn't know... lol :salute:

My computer specs are as always more than needed to run SH4. The game is not installed on my C:/ at all. It's installed on a separate SSD. I'm getting the UAC blocking message with the virgin game with no mods installed. Beginning to think I won't be able to run SH4 on my computer, which is sad. :wah:

KaleunMarco 01-10-23 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 (Post 2846786)
My computer specs are as always more than needed to run SH4. The game is not installed on my C:/ at all. It's installed on a separate SSD. I'm getting the UAC blocking message with the virgin game with no mods installed. Beginning to think I won't be able to run SH4 on my computer, which is sad. :wah:

no, don't even think that!!!!!

As PB mentioned, the solution will be something simple, almost dumb, once we-idiots can figure out what it might be.:doh:

KaleunMarco 01-10-23 07:01 PM

Quote:

read this post. a guy got SH4 to run under Win11.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...87&postcount=8

KaleunMarco 01-10-23 07:02 PM

Quote:

here is another post with success.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...97&postcount=1