SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   I fell for a possible scam (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=245485)

Col7777 06-11-20 05:36 AM

I fell for a possible scam

I was on the PC and got a popup in the corner from the BBC News.
It was saying David Beckham (soccer player) was on the TV telling how he is making a fortune daily.
So I clicked on the popup, then I got a BBC News page and it was saying David was on a TV show telling people to get on this quick, it was about the Bitcoin thing, then there was screenshots of people replying thanking him and they were making a small fortune overnight by doing nothing, just letting the Auto Trade run.

Then at the bottom of the page was a 'Click This' to join quick.
So like an idiot I clicked it, it asked for my name and email and phone number, I entered that then got a page saying the minimum deposit was £200 and to enter my bank card number, I know what you are all thinking but I did it.

Then a popup saying because I in the UK my deposit hadn't gone through, at that moment I got a phone call from a Asian woman saying she saw I had just registered and could I verify my bank details, so now I realised something was wrong.

I said, "When I buy something online and it asks for my bank details I don't get a phone call asking me to verify so why are you asking?"
She said I needed to go through her first, I refused and hung up, 2 seconds later she phoned back again asking me to verify my bank details, I said forget it I'm not interested, she phoned again straight away, I told her to stop phoning me.

Then I got an email sending me link that would enable me to deposit the money from the UK, then I phoned my bank.
I got a security person on and I told them my story and gave them the email details etc.
They stopped my bank card straight away and are sending me a new one in a few days.

Then I Googled a search and found a page saying that there was a FAKE BBC News item being sent online about the Bitcoin, I normally never fall for stuff like this but that BBC News page looked genuine and like an idiot I fell for it.

Anyway luckily they can't take my money now as my card had been stopped but I'm letting others know just in case they get the popup and like me think it is real.

Edit: Forgot to add, on the fake news page it also said that a few banks phoned the BBC at the moment TV program was on air asking them to stop the broadcast as they didn't want this information getting out, this again influenced me.

Col.

Cybermat47 06-11-20 05:38 AM

Good rule of thumb is to ignore anything you see that says “this is how you can make a fortune”.

Reece 06-11-20 06:00 AM

Quote:

I got a security person on and I told them my story and gave them the email details etc.
They stopped my bank card straight away and are sending me a new one in a few days.
You are very lucky!! :yep::oops:

Onkel Neal 06-11-20 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Col7777 (Post 2676991)
I was on the PC and got a popup in the corner from the BBC News.
It was saying David Beckham (soccer player) was on the TV telling how he is making a fortune daily.
So I clicked on the popup, then I got a BBC News page and it was saying David was on a TV show telling people to get on this quick, it was about the Bitcoin thing, then there was screenshots of people replying thanking him and they were making a small fortune overnight by doing nothing, just letting the Auto Trade run.

Anyway luckily they can't take my money now as my card had been stopped but I'm letting others know just in case they get the popup and like me think it is real.

Edit: Forgot to add, on the fake news page it also said that a few banks phoned the BBC at the moment TV program was on air asking them to stop the broadcast as they didn't want this information getting out, this again influenced me.

Col.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Scammers are getting a lot better at deception these days, this could happen to anyone, even me! I moved into a new house and was ordering all kinds of household items from Amazon, Walmart, Wayfair, etc and getting the usual emails about deliveries and tracking numbers. Normally when I get an email from FedEx, USPS, or UPS, I copy and paste the tracking number from the email into the Fedex and UPS website one at a time. One day I was going along and I just clicked on the link to go directly to the tracking number... nothing happened but I stopped and realized, wth did I just do? :oops: I examined the links and nope, not legit, not from Fedex.

I'm almost ready to close all my email accounts!:hmph:

Eichhörnchen 06-11-20 12:11 PM

If you would all email your bank sort codes and account numbers to me, I can put a stop to this

Texas Red 06-11-20 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen (Post 2677098)
If you would all email your bank sort codes and account numbers to me, I can put a stop to this

:hmmm: How do we know you're not a scammer as well? :haha:

mapuc 06-11-20 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen (Post 2677098)

I would say he should put it here in this thread, thereby it would have a greater chance to be stopped.

Back to serious comment.

I think we all have during our life on the web, have made smaller or bigger mistake. We learn from it.

Markus

Jimbuna 06-11-20 01:27 PM

That scam is all over the internet using different household names/celebeities.

One of the worst offenders for such advertising is actually msn.com

Col7777 06-11-20 01:33 PM

Hi Jim, wish I had seen it sooner mate, anyway here is the name and email/phone number of the website trying to take my money.

Megan Davis | Agent at INV Center
Tel: +442039910009

E-Mail: megand@invcenter.com

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 06/11/20, 11:37:27 AM

Jimbuna 06-11-20 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Col7777 (Post 2677131)
Hi Jim, wish I had seen it sooner mate, anyway here is the name and email/phone number of the website trying to take my money.

Megan Davis | Agent at INV Center
Tel: +442039910009

E-Mail: megand@invcenter.com

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 06/11/20, 11:37:27 AM

Most importantly, you got out in time :salute:

Platapus 06-11-20 02:16 PM

This is where my rat-like paranoia saves me. I don't trust no body, especially on the Internets Tubes.

Glad you were able to get out with no losses.

Kptlt. Neuerburg 06-11-20 08:17 PM

Just remember, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

Col7777 06-12-20 04:15 AM

Thanks everybody for all your concerns and comments, like I said in my first post I'm usually more aware of stuff like this but this time I fell for it.

Anyway moving on I got an email from my bank telling me they are sending me another card but... It is a more advanced card with lots of new features, I can turn things on and off with this card by going online and either activating or de-activating certain features.

So now I have to be computer savvy lol, the thing is they didn't ask me if I wanted this new card style they are just sending me one.
Suppose I shouldn't complain, after all they were helpful when I phoned about my problem.

Col.

Cybermat47 06-12-20 04:27 AM

Next time someone tries to scam you, make them waste their time :O:

https://youtu.be/_QdPW8JrYzQ

Platapus 06-12-20 05:19 AM

Don't feel bad. Smart people fall for this stuff a lot.

Does anyone remember the I Love You virus that want around a while back? It was a pretty bad virus that messed up computers and networks.

The Frau was working at a computer security company. Their entire business was in designing protective measures against such viruses and in educating customers about the risks of viruses.

Her company was actively working on the I Love You problem at the time.

Yeah, there was someone at that company who opened the I love You attachment and infected the entire corporation's network.

Fortunately, her company had the proper protective measures in place so the damage was limited and mitigated.

So even people working computer security issues can fall for stuff.

Stuff happens. Again, glad you were able to get out.

But