SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   I guess I am old and stupid. (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=256672)

Wolfar 02-18-24 03:07 PM

I guess I am old and stupid.

I have searched and read every thread I can find.

Restarted the WHOLE lifeguard mission.

Went to area found pick smoke found a pilot bobbing up and down.

I cannot get the binoculars to lock onto the pilot wont highlight.

Tried different positions to grab him.

Can not get to close or the binoc's cant go low enough.

I can center him on the rocking of the boat but never highlights.

:hmmm:

propbeanie 02-18-24 03:18 PM

There-in lies the rub... the binocs will not "lock" on your survivor. You want to be a few hundred yards off, slightly off over the bow, but not to the point of a 90 relative angle to the conn. Something between say 30-45 degrees, but actually, preferably to the port side, so 315-330. That give you good visibility, and somewhat mitigates the boat rocking. Aim the binocs in the approximate area, and as the boat and pilot bob up and down relative to each other, you will see the cross hair in the binoc turn from red to yellow (or is it the other way around??)... anyway, when the cross hair changes color, that's when you click the Life-ring menu button - but you do have to be on the full Bridge view to get that menu button...

Wolfar 02-18-24 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2903078)
There-in lies the rub... the binocs will not "lock" on your survivor. You want to be a few hundred yards off, slightly off over the bow, but not to the point of a 90 relative angle to the conn. Something between say 30-45 degrees, but actually, preferably to the port side, so 315-330. That give you good visibility, and somewhat mitigates the boat rocking. Aim the binocs in the approximate area, and as the boat and pilot bob up and down relative to each other, you will see the cross hair in the binoc turn from red to yellow (or is it the other way around??)... anyway, when the cross hair changes color, that's when you click the Life-ring menu button - but you do have to be on the full Bridge view to get that menu button...

Ok got all that part BUT the crew has never acknowledged that the pilot is there yet also.

Wolfar 02-18-24 03:59 PM

I am SOOOoooo DUMB!

I kept trying to use the BIG ASS Binoc's on the conning tower.

No wonder I could not pan down low enough.

Used the Mouse wheel by mistake oh those are normal binoc's! :o

Said rescued survivors.

:k_rofl:

Sean C 02-18-24 07:17 PM

Hahaha! Glad you got it sorted! :salute:

BetaWilhelm 02-18-24 09:40 PM

Job well done!

I'm sure those pilots appreciate your tenacity. Now they won't have to spend the rest of the war in a jap work camp living on a spoonful of rice a day.

propbeanie 02-18-24 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfar (Post 2903082)
I am SOOOoooo DUMB!

I kept trying to use the BIG ASS Binoc's on the conning tower.

No wonder I could not pan down low enough.

Used the Mouse wheel by mistake oh those are normal binoc's! :o

Said rescued survivors.

:k_rofl:

Ahhh yesh, would you believe, the ole TBT (Torpedo Bearing Transmitter) for binocs trick??

Armistead 02-21-24 11:33 AM

Haha, you sound like Bilge Rat material and we'll gladly take you on board. The gang hasn't been on patrol in 6 years or so since we botched up the delivery of toilet paper to Guadalcanal. Currently for the last several years we're anchored somewhere on the Mississippi awaiting orders and for our captain, Wolferz, to come out of the head.

Wolfar 02-21-24 04:18 PM

Definitely laughing at myself!

:D

propbeanie 02-22-24 03:26 PM

Oh, we have all done stuff. Some of us admit it , some don't... lol :arrgh!:
:salute:

Aktungbby 02-23-24 01:07 AM

I never admit nuthin'! :hmph: