SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Task Force 1942 sequel in the pipeline!!!!! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=183072)

Sonarman 04-27-11 03:01 PM

Task Force 1942 sequel in the pipeline!!!!!

A dream comes true...Just read ths post over at simhq... from Gatorman82 who is in real life Ed Fletcher one of the original designers of TF1942

"Nice to hear people are still playing TF1942. I was co-designer and lead programmer on the project. I've been working at home on a new game that combines 1942: the Pacific Air War and Taskforce: 1942. I wrote both games and have wanted to re-do them both. The engine is mostly written at this point, but the problem is art. I have talked a couple of artists into helping me out, but they lack my enthusiasm to work in my spare time. So although I still work on it, the project will never really go anywhere until I get more art support. Sims aren't seen as big money makers, so I won't get any monetary support unless I've got something pretty much done...."

Ed Fletcher
Formerly of MicroProse Software

For more check out the original thread at SimHQ

em2nought 04-27-11 09:31 PM

I can't believe you're trying to put him in bed with Jim Rose. Matrix Games would be a far better place.

Sonarman 04-28-11 05:02 AM

I know what you mean, but they have a naval engine and a good ship moddeler and their new distribution/DRM system is much better than the highly criticised original &
thankfully the PR friendly Mr Bullethead who really seems to know his stuff on naval matters. Plus Matrix seems mostly focussed on 2d stuff and their support for Harpoon has been somewhat questionable, perhaps Battlefront +Akella would be a better choice.

em2nought 04-30-11 05:54 PM

http://www.yankeeairpirate.net/ these guys would be perfect, already have the artwork and models mostly done in their Rising Sun project for Strike Fighters. Rising Sun is worth a look too. Battleship row with the correct battleships, I've only ever seen that in a little noticed mod for CFS2

jdkbph 05-08-11 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by em2nought (Post 1652333)
I can't believe you're trying to put him in bed with Jim Rose. Matrix Games would be a far better place.

Agreed. Jutland is a dog, design-wise, and the GUI for both games in the series (Jutland and Distant Guns) is a disaster. I won't even mention the DRM. All of which wouldn't be half the problem it's turned out to be, if only the devs would LISTEN to what their customers are telling them. Alas... closed minds. Steer clear.

I wonder if the folks over at NWS would have the resources to pull this off? I'm sure the interest would be there.

JD

moose1am 05-08-11 07:37 PM

Wow. Wow Wow. I loved playing PAW 1942 but my old Packard Bell SX386 with only 2 sticks of ram would not play it very smoothly. I broke the other two dimm slots and could not keep my dimm sticks in it as the little while plastic locking tab broke.

I was trying to reprogram my ram on another Hewlett Packard PC with a pentium Processor using Windows 95 but could not get everything working on it.

I'd love to see a new PAW 1942 type game for Windows 7 64 bit.

It's nice to know that the guy that produced the 1942 game is still around. I liked the idea of being an admiral with the capabilty of jumping into the cockpit and flying one of the planes. And I just loved paying the carrier war games with all the options that you gave to use. Turning on the clouds or weather or turning them off. turning off the certaintly etc. Engine overheating or not. All that made the game much more challenging.

I's still play that game today If I could figure out how I got my Dos to give me enough memory to get the game to run. That was always the most difficult part. You forced me to learn more about computer than I ever wanted to. But I did it because I was wanting to play that game. I still have two copies of the PAW 1942 game on 3.5 disks. But my new Asus computer didn't come with the 3.5 drive.

Overkill 05-12-11 03:05 PM

Quote:

I've been working at home on a new game that combines 1942: the Pacific Air War and Taskforce: 1942.
:yeah:This is a dream come true! I loved both of those games back in the day! The ability to go from Strategic Map to Tactical first person was awesome!

Pablo 05-14-11 04:08 PM

Well,

Maybe someday GOG.COM will put it out there.

oche 05-15-11 05:41 PM

Cross your fingers:D.

Caseck 05-21-11 07:32 PM

Awesome!

Overkill 05-17-12 02:10 PM

Bringing this post back from the dead... Any new info on the progress of this remake?

oche 05-18-12 06:33 AM

Anyone? :cry:

Overkill 05-22-12 09:16 AM

If ya hear anything, Oche, please let me know. I would really love to see this project make it.

stormrider_sp 08-26-12 08:16 AM

Any news???
This project is one of those that just CANT die!!!
C'mon!

Sonarman 08-26-12 09:10 AM

The last we heard over at SimHQ Ed was still looking for 3D artists and was having trouble getting people to commit. A couple of the guys over there have bumped the thread for an update and I suggested he contact Neal & posted here on Subsim, this being the game's 20th anniversary it would be a great time to get awareness going, but sadly Ed has not yet responded to those posts. Let's hope its not vaporware, a contemporary reworking of TF1942 fused with 1942PAW would be the ultimate in WWII naval simulation .