SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   SH3 Historical Crew (Type VII) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=247463)

derstosstrupp 12-06-20 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan (Post 2711914)
Yeah, that I did see, with some of the info I was able to dig up pertaining to the different ranks of the kriegsmarine during WW2. I poked about, more extensively after posting what I did, right after trying to test the higher ranks of PO's, in the SH3Cmdr...

I did note, while poking about during that test I ran, in the Officers cat... the mention of the lowest rank for them of, OberFanrich zS, (2 lil' dots located, just riiiight above the 'a', in fanrich...I can't get my keystrokes to show up those euro typecasts of certain letters, sorry... :oops:) so am guessing that they would be a 'graduate of officer training' or the kriegsmarine equivalent to the U.S or other navies version thereof... more or less... again, just a guess...

M. M.

:Kaleun_Salute:

A Fähnrich was still technically an “officer candidate”, vs an ensign in the USN which is already an officer. Fähnriche rode along on patrols learning everything they could (and pissing people off :O:) before taking that next step. Ullmann in Das Boot (the troubled guy with the French fiancé) was this.

Mad Mardigan 12-06-20 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derstosstrupp (Post 2711916)
A Fähnrich was still technically an “officer candidate”, vs an ensign in the USN which is already an officer. Fähnriche rode along on patrols learning everything they could (and pissing people off :O:) before taking that next step. Ullmann in Das Boot (the troubled guy with the French fiancé) was this.

:yeah:

I always wondered about that guy, after having watched Das Boot a couple of times... the way the other guy was responding to them after Ullmann made it known of the girl he was talking about... can't remember the other guys name... it has been a bit since I watched Das Boot... will have to see of watching it again... :D

Ok, so that Oberfähnrich, would fall into that 'Officer candidate' ranking then... good to know. :yep:

M. M.

:Kaleun_Salute:

Antanas 06-19-21 06:19 PM

Heya, first off, massive kudos for this, derstosstrup, such a detailed method was just what I needed to give dealing with fatigue a go :arrgh!:

Now, I have yet to even reach my grid for my first patrol, have sank three ships already though (including a neutral merchant mistakenly, oops!) and I've got a few issues with the spreadsheet you provided. They're all relatively minor, but still, thought it'd be nice to point them out.
First off, one of the diesel mates' qual icon is wrong, helm instead of machinist. Secondly, combat helmsman shown in the 'key times' tab isn't actually the same person as the combat helmsman in the 'crew list'. And lastly, there seems to be three control room attendants and one control room mate in the spreadsheet, yet you wrote there were two of each in the opening post. I got pretty confused about that one, althought that might very well be ignorance on my part :ping:

And while I'm at it, I'll ask, does anyone know how to turn off sh3 moving crew around on its own? E.g. not letting me leave the bridge empty before a dive, so that I can get the crew to the engine room easier afterwards. It's kind of a hassle to be looking for the scattered bridge crew all over the ship :haha:

Once again, thanks a lot for this, I've been enjoying it so far, although it really is a different kind of experience than what I'm used to, especially since I decided to incorporate some of the advice from this thread into my playthrough. Lots of fun to be had for sure! :Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

Aktungbby 06-19-21 07:31 PM

welcome aboard!

Antanas!:Kaleun_Salute:

derstosstrupp 06-19-21 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antanas (Post 2753475)
Heya, first off, massive kudos for this, derstosstrup, such a detailed method was just what I needed to give dealing with fatigue a go :arrgh!:

Now, I have yet to even reach my grid for my first patrol, have sank three ships already though (including a neutral merchant mistakenly, oops!) and I've got a few issues with the spreadsheet you provided. They're all relatively minor, but still, thought it'd be nice to point them out.
First off, one of the diesel mates' qual icon is wrong, helm instead of machinist. Secondly, combat helmsman shown in the 'key times' tab isn't actually the same person as the combat helmsman in the 'crew list'. And lastly, there seems to be three control room attendants and one control room mate in the spreadsheet, yet you wrote there were two of each in the opening post. I got pretty confused about that one, althought that might very well be ignorance on my part :ping:

And while I'm at it, I'll ask, does anyone know how to turn off sh3 moving crew around on its own? E.g. not letting me leave the bridge empty before a dive, so that I can get the crew to the engine room easier afterwards. It's kind of a hassle to be looking for the scattered bridge crew all over the ship :haha:

Once again, thanks a lot for this, I've been enjoying it so far, although it really is a different kind of experience than what I'm used to, especially since I decided to incorporate some of the advice from this thread into my playthrough. Lots of fun to be had for sure! :Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

I am glad you are getting something out of it! Thank you for the comments. I’ve been making some edits to them recently, because I’ve gotten some additional insight into roles on board the boat. The edits are incomplete at this time, but when I get back to them I will post here.

Antanas 06-24-21 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derstosstrupp (Post 2753484)
The edits are incomplete at this time, but when I get back to them I will post here.

Looking forward to that! I have to say though, after finishing my first patrol, while rewarding overall, the crew management during long uneventful voyages to and from the patrol area are a pain. Guess it did make me memorise most of my crew's last names and positions, but still :)

I have to say, you were right when you wrote "[...] you will know you fulfilled your responsibility to him and your men.". While they are obviously just computer men, there is some sort of pride in leading them, thanks to all that time spent on moving them around. And well, a simple 28-day patrol took me about a week in real life, so it feels great to be finally done with it! We earned some rest!

Also, partly to brag, it was a really succesful patrol, with almost 70k tons of allied shipping sunk beneath the waves. Even after expending all my torpedoes and deck gun shells, I still managed to sink a ship (and a half) just with the flak gun alone. Can only wonder if it had anything to do with the slower, more methodical approach to the game. Guess I'll see how the next one goes!