SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Wolfpack (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=277)
-   -   Development Updates (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226377)

Jimbuna 09-01-17 10:02 AM

Nice one :up:

Thymo 09-01-17 11:22 AM

Amazing work! Can't wait until we see a release (but do take your time).

What are your guys' plans on simulating electrical systems on board? Will we have to replace blown fuses after we get hit by depth charges. And what about broken systems in general? Will it just be simple option to repair a thing or do we actually have to replace parts My Summer Car style? :)

iambecomelife 09-05-17 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thymo (Post 2509975)

What are your guys' plans on simulating electrical systems on board? Will we have to replace blown fuses after we get hit by depth charges. And what about broken systems in general? Will it just be simple option to repair a thing or do we actually have to replace parts My Summer Car style? :)

I second that! Also, I hope that repairs at sea are more makeshift than in other subsims - I think it should be extremely hard to restore damaged subsystems back to 100% outside of a dockyard. Great work so far.

Napalm42 09-05-17 12:32 PM

Looking great so far guys! So different from the super early build I played back when it was Marulken, but different in a direction I like!

B_K 09-06-17 01:17 AM

Hello! Good work! However I noticed that you blow ballast with vents open :-) That may not work :-) I have another suggestion - the boat definetely needs to be more inert, more "heavier". 30 seconds for submerging is absolute minimum at flank speed, and far more from a full stop.

Usurpator 09-06-17 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thymo (Post 2509975)

Currently the only electrical system we simulate is the fact that the uboat can charge and discharge the battery.

We don't have a damage model for the uboat. We might build one in the future, for instance the periscope or rudder might get damaged, but you won't be able to repair damage during the mission.

Replacing broken fuses and doing repair/maintenance work is not really a tactical decition. We want to minimize the ammount of chores the players have to do, and focus more on strategy, tactics and teamplay.

Usurpator 09-06-17 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_K (Post 2510832)
Hello! Good work! However I noticed that you blow ballast with vents open :-) That may not work :-) I have another suggestion - the boat definetely needs to be more inert, more "heavier". 30 seconds for submerging is absolute minimum at flank speed, and far more from a full stop.

Thanks! You are correct, we wasted a lot of compressed air making that video :)

You are right that the boat should have more inertia, and take longer to dive. We are still experimenting with weights and forces.

NightFromTheWest12 09-07-17 06:28 PM

Can't wait to try this baby out!

Pikes 09-10-17 12:09 PM

Ahhh, this is going down the right line. Something with some complexity, forcing people to work together as a team.

As long as it has some difficulty sliders we can keep everyone happy. I'm a 100% realism guy but appreciate the 80% guys wanting to play too.

The detail looked fantastic, keep it up!!!:Kaleun_Applaud:

Catfish 09-12-17 03:09 AM

Yes, this is going towards the right direction!
The attention to detail is breathtaking, so much detailed and working instruments and devices. SkvaderStudios really paid attention to detail on U-995.
A lot of those to-be-used levers and switches add to the atmosphere and to the feeling of really actuating and d(r)iving the boat. Not all can be modelled of course, and it would be too much since you needed a real life training to know all about the innards, but this looks just so right.
Thank you for your work! Looking forward :) :up:

triple111 09-17-17 07:45 PM

Out of curiousity, what is the polycount on your model?

Sung 09-20-17 01:01 AM

Very nice :up:

Sharpshooter 09-23-17 02:50 AM

Wow.... This is what I always wanted. And no VR requirement? Kickass!

I'll throw my wallet at the screen the first chance I get.

derstosstrupp 09-23-17 11:12 AM

I've been following the development with a lot of interest - the visuals look outstanding from what I've seen in the videos, very promising and great work!

I am wondering about the details of the TDC. SH3 and SH5 unfortunately both got it wrong to an extent and left out one major detail which was a defining feature of the German TDC. Although the TDC didn't track the target per se like the American one did, There was a feature called "Lage laufend", which, when activated, automatically updated the Gyro angle to account for any subsequent motion of the U-boat. In SH3 and SH5, if you change course, you need to redo your inputs, a huge disadvantage that wasn't necessary in real life. It was a common tactic of the U-boat to shoot "im Abdrehen", "while turning", during a night surface attack to enable a quicker escape, a tactic which was made possible by this feature of the TDC.

Not sure how far along in terms of development of this aspect of the Sim you are, but would be great to finally see!

Usurpator 09-25-17 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derstosstrupp (Post 2514588)
I've been following the development with a lot of interest - the visuals look outstanding from what I've seen in the videos, very promising and great work!

I am wondering about the details of the TDC. SH3 and SH5 unfortunately both got it wrong to an extent and left out one major detail which was a defining feature of the German TDC. Although the TDC didn't track the target per se like the American one did, There was a feature called "Lage laufend", which, when activated, automatically updated the Gyro angle to account for any subsequent motion of the U-boat. In SH3 and SH5, if you change course, you need to redo your inputs, a huge disadvantage that wasn't necessary in real life. It was a common tactic of the U-boat to shoot "im Abdrehen", "while turning", during a night surface attack to enable a quicker escape, a tactic which was made possible by this feature of the TDC.

Not sure how far along in terms of development of this aspect of the Sim you are, but would be great to finally see!

You are correct, and this is a feature that we have implemented. When the u boat is turning, the AOB (but not the heading or distance) values are updated.