SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Full Circle (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=254365)

cdrsubron7 01-10-23 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaleunMarco (Post 2846793)
read this post. a guy got SH4 to run under Win11.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...87&postcount=8

Yes, I have seen this post. Didn't help any after trying it.

cdrsubron7 01-10-23 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaleunMarco (Post 2846794)

Have tried this solution also, was not successful.:06:

cdrsubron7 01-11-23 04:44 AM

Success!!! I now have SH4 up and running. :Kaleun_Applaud: :Kaleun_Cheers:

propbeanie 01-11-23 07:27 AM

Excellent! Now, fess-up... what'd we forget?... lol :salute:

Onkel Neal 01-11-23 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 (Post 2846853)
Success!!! I now have SH4 up and running. :Kaleun_Applaud: :Kaleun_Cheers:

That's great, can you please post the technique you found that worked? Thanks :Kaleun_Wink:

cdrsubron7 01-11-23 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2846877)
Excellent! Now, fess-up... what'd we forget?... lol :salute:

Really don't think you forgot anything. I went back and started over. Uninstalled and then reinstalled the game to folder on my F:/ drive. Then made a copy of the game files and put them on my C:/ drive. Once that was down, all started working. :yeah: :03:

KaleunMarco 01-11-23 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 (Post 2846888)
Really don't think you forgot anything. I went back and started over. Uninstalled and then reinstalled the game to folder on my F:/ drive. Then made a copy of the game files and put them on my C:/ drive. Once that was down, all started working. :yeah: :03:

excellent news!
:Kaleun_Salute:

so, it would appear, after further review, that SH4 under Windows11 does NOT like to operate on a hard drive other than the C-drive.

very interesting.

:hmmm:

cdrsubron7 01-11-23 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2846887)
That's great, can you please post the technique you found that worked? Thanks :Kaleun_Wink:

Well, nothing much more than what has already been mentioned here in this thread. Of course, as with all things what works on one computer may not work on another. What I did was to after the initial install was to uninstall and reinstall the original game on one of my other hard drives other than C:/ drive. After that was accomplished, I did a copy and paste of the SH4 files and made a folder on C:/ drive called C:/Games/SH4. Went through the suggested steps to modify the SH4.exe as mentioned here in this thread. Then started the game and it worked like a charm. That's all I did. Hope this helps someone else when the cause arises. :salute:

Pisces 01-16-23 06:10 AM

The root of a drive has other (less) permissions allowed for common users than whatever is inside of a folder on the root of that drive. Some strange reason Microsoft made up to protect system files in the root of C:\

So did you install the game straight into F:\ or in F:\SilentHunter4OrWhatever?

cdrsubron7 01-16-23 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pisces (Post 2847966)
The root of a drive has other (less) permissions allowed for common users than whatever is inside of a folder on the root of that drive. Some strange reason Microsoft made up to protect system files in the root of C:\

So did you install the game straight into F:\ or in F:\SilentHunter4OrWhatever?

Installed the game staight into F:/. It is just my copy for the game files. :up:

Pisces 01-16-23 02:07 PM

That may have been the reason for the UAC admin acknowledgement. If it was instructed to install inside a folder then likely no problem.