SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Ship icons on the Navmap (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=246280)

holohw 08-08-20 05:24 PM

Ship icons on the Navmap

When i get a contact on the navmap, i see a square with a tail in red. Zoom in as you all know an see a ship. But...

When i subemerge that icon disappears and then theres a line from the sub to the position of the ship. Is there anything to keep the icon on the map when submerged?

Mios 4Me 08-08-20 07:38 PM

No, absent some mod I'm unaware of, there isn't

It does beg the question why there isn't a visual differentiator for merchant vs. warship sonar indications. After all, it's initiailly announced by the sonar operator that way.

I suppose if it were doable, the FotRSU guys would have long ago.

Col7777 08-09-20 01:23 AM

I agree, some skippers avoided DD's like the plague, if the icon is fairly near you could use the external camera to see what it is, but some don't like using it, I do though.

jimmbbo 08-09-20 01:44 PM

Don't think ship icons are displayed except on the surface.

If I understand the discussion, the sonar bearing lines absent the icons are blue for warships, black for merchants :hmm2:

KaleunMarco 08-09-20 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holohw (Post 2688191)
When i get a contact on the navmap, i see a square with a tail in red. Zoom in as you all know an see a ship. But...

When i submerge that icon disappears and then there's a line from the sub to the position of the ship. Is there anything to keep the icon on the map when submerged?

i believe there is a special ability value named SonarContactsAsVisual.
if you assign that to a Special Ability, typically Ability-Expert-Sonarman, and then assign the special ability to a crewman, then the icon remains on the screen when you submerge...as long as it is still detectable by your hydrophone.

:Kaleun_Salute:

Mad Mardigan 08-09-20 03:05 PM

Re: sonar lines...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmbbo (Post 2688384)
Don't think ship icons are displayed except on the surface.

If I understand the discussion, the sonar bearing lines absent the icons are blue for warships, black for merchants :hmm2:

I have, seen them red lines to denote a warship & either black or blue for merchants... & in some cases, even green which obviously would denote a neutral ship.

This as well, applies to the iconography on the nav map, (The attack mapping, as well...) as it applies to being surfaced or submerged & using the periscope, as well.

Of course, this can be related to whatever mod or mega mod is being used... so the differences may vary, accordingly.

M. M.

:Kaleun_Salute:

Mios 4Me 08-09-20 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmbbo (Post 2688384)

Anyone know a method or mod for increasing the contrast between the two?

Using FotRSUE 1.1 with patch.

Macgregor the Hammer 08-09-20 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mios 4Me (Post 2688431)
Anyone know a method or mod for increasing the contrast between the two?

Using FotRSUE 1.1 with patch.

If anyone knows where color palette is for lines on the nav map, please share! I have tough time with default light gray.

:salute: