SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   My new PC (self build) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=184640)

papa_smurf 06-16-11 01:06 PM

My new PC (self build)

Just thought I'd post a pic of my first ever self build.
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9345/1010199.jpg

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-8800GM-D2H
AMD Athlon Phenom II X4 - overclocked to 3.5GHz
4GB DDR 1333 Mushkin RAM
Ati HD 5570
500 GB SATAII HDD
650W Corsair PSU
Cooler Master Elite case.

The rather large heatsink keeps the CPU below 25C when idle and max outs at around 35C when running a heavy load. Also have 2 fans, one in front of case and one at rear for a nice airflow. All in all, i'm pretty pleased with the result been my first self-build.

frau kaleun 06-16-11 01:13 PM

Lessee... one, two, three, four... man I am counting at least 5-6 different colors in there, are you trying to give Jan K. a heart attack? :O:

But seriously - how are you liking the Corsair PSU? Cuz they are top of my list right now for when I start pricing units.

papa_smurf 06-16-11 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frau kaleun (Post 1685369)
Lessee... one, two, three, four... man I am counting at least 5-6 different colors in there, are you trying to give Jan K. a heart attack? :O:

But seriously - how are you liking the Corsair PSU? Cuz they are top of my list right now for when I start pricing units.

Not that bothered about having same colour inside, won't be seen when running.

The PSU is not that bad, only had new computer for less than a month and it runs fine.

frau kaleun 06-16-11 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa_smurf (Post 1685380)
Not that bothered about having same colour inside, won't be seen when running.

The PSU is not that bad, only had new computer for less than a month and it runs fine.

What about noise and temp?

papa_smurf 06-16-11 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frau kaleun (Post 1685388)
What about noise and temp?

Not too noisy for having 3 fans. As for temperatures;

GPU - Idle; 25C, Peak; 42C
CPU - Idle; 15C, Peak 27-30C

frau kaleun 06-16-11 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa_smurf (Post 1685400)

I meant the PSU specifically - I'd like one that's relatively quiet and doesn't give off excessive heat.

papa_smurf 06-16-11 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frau kaleun (Post 1685402)
I meant the PSU specifically - I'd like one that's relatively quiet and doesn't give off excessive heat.

Oops, PSU is quiet and doesn't get excessively warm.

danasan 06-16-11 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa_smurf (Post 1685400)

Beware of icicles inside...:O:

Nice rig you built there, and so tidy inside

papa_smurf 06-16-11 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danasan (Post 1685408)
Beware of icicles inside...:O:

Nice rig you built there, and so tidy inside

All the spare power cables are in the top drive bay area, glad I had plenty of cable ties.

frau kaleun 06-16-11 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa_smurf (Post 1685405)
Oops, PSU is quiet and doesn't get excessively warm.

Thanks, good to know. Mine will be bottom-mounted so directly below the GPU slots on the mobo. I should have plenty of fans and airflow but I don't want anything getting any hotter than it needs to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa_smurf (Post 1685409)
All the spare power cables are in the top drive bay area, glad I had plenty of cable ties.

I am hoarding twisty ties even as we speak. :yep:

the_tyrant 06-16-11 04:52 PM

our PCs look oddly similar:doh:
even the SATA cords are the same colour

FIREWALL 06-16-11 06:01 PM

Nice job.:up: If it hasn't given you a problem in almost a month it, probably won't. :salute:

Take that rig and enjoy it. :DL...:yep:

Lord Justice 06-16-11 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frau kaleun (Post 1685429)
Thanks, good to know. Mine will be bottom-mounted so directly below the GPU slots on the mobo.

Good day, my build = corsair 750 modular (so less cables). My PSU is bottom mounted, Just be sure you give at least inch and a half from tower base to floor, ie the legs on tower may not be high enough, common problem with bottom mounted psu is air intake restriction, specially if sitting on a pile carpet. give some good ground clearance. :salute:

frau kaleun 06-16-11 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Para (Post 1685575)
Good day, my build = corsair 750 modular (so less cables). My PSU is bottom mounted, Just be sure you give at least inch and a half from tower base to floor, ie the legs on tower may not be high enough, common problem with bottom mounted psu is air intake restriction, specially if sitting on a pile carpet. give some good ground clearance. :salute:

Yeah, the case I got has good-sized feet on the bottom, enough to give some decent space underneath. I can always add stick-on bumpers to them if I want to raise it up a little more. It will be sitting up on a desk so whatever space is under there, it will be completely clear, no carpet getting sucked up and blocking anything. And there's a filtered vent directly underneath the PSU.

FIREWALL 06-16-11 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frau kaleun (Post 1685627)
Yeah, the case I got has good-sized feet on the bottom, enough to give some decent space underneath. I can always add stick-on bumpers to them if I want to raise it up a little more. It will be sitting up on a desk so whatever space is under there, it will be completely clear, no carpet getting sucked up and blocking anything. And there's a filtered vent directly underneath the PSU.

You got it under control. :yep: I don't see your new rig giveing you any probs. :up:

You've given it alot of thought. Small things add up. :DL

@ pappa smurf... Nice rig and I hope many years of enjoyment. :woot: