SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Adding a new crew voice line - Possible? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=255028)

Tabris 03-28-23 12:33 AM

Adding a new crew voice line - Possible?

Hello all,

I'll preface this by saying two things: 1) my search skills aren't great, so sorry if this has already been discussed, and 2) there will be a few assumptions here that, if I'm wrong about, will sink the whole endeavor before it even starts. That being said,

tl;dr: I want to add voice lines for game-happenings that are currently only conveyed in text form. Think "raising snorkel!" and "detecting radar signals!" I'm not sure if this is possible, but I think it might be.

Here's why I think there's hope: Each crew role you can interact with has a file that seems to influence when voice lines are played. For the chief it's "Message_CH" for example. It looks like a message will play when certain parameters are met, and then it specifies which .ogg to play. Here's an entire instance:
[Msg1]
MsgId=1
Priority=10
Timeout=20
Param0=1
MsgOgg00=Not_enough_crew_in_diesel_engine_compartm ent_sir
;ChE_P_Not_enough_crew_in_diesel_engine_compartmen t_sir.ogg

Surely, if this file does indeed dictate when each voice line plays, then somewhere there's a file containing all the reference parameters? Somewhere in the mess of .DATs that we can thankfully edit with S3D. This isn't merely for immersion, this would be a huge quality-of-life improvement. If the radioman actually said aloud "detecting radar signals!" you would have that much more time to react, instead of having to notice the message in the text log, especially if you had gotten up from your desk for a moment. What the sound file actually sounds like isn't relevant. As a temporary measure it could be a brief tone or alarm, a text-to-speech line, or even just a recording of yourself saying it.

The fact that I'm not aware of any such mod, and you gentlemen have been at this for 15 years, is a bad sign. If someone can even tell me with relative certainty that it's not possible, I'd appreciate that too. Here's hoping!

Yours,
Tabris

Tigerzhunters 03-28-23 05:45 AM

Its possible IF you Download It the soundpack Forgot the name But you can learn from there

Tabris 03-28-23 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerzhunters (Post 2860269)
the soundpack Forgot the name

thanks, please let us know if it comes to you!

Tigerzhunters 03-29-23 04:47 PM

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=1311

:Kaleun_Wink:

Tabris 03-29-23 05:41 PM

I'm afraid I don't understand. I've scrutinized this mod quite closely, both when I first downloaded it last year and against just now, and I don't see how it's relevant here. It seems to modify existing sounds - my objective here is to add new voice lines or sounds, if that's even possible. Am I just being dense and not seeing it? Thanks in any case.

Wolfstriked 03-29-23 09:05 PM

I have tweaked some sounds here and there and found on my game.Simple stuff like "yes sir" for weather reports.What I found is that if sound file is not there then there is no way to make it work.If you go thru speech folders you will not see sound files for raise snorkel etc...only snorkel depth,snorkel damaged,snorkel destroyed.

Fifi 03-30-23 01:38 AM

When you investigate sounds in this game, you’ll find out plenty sound files are not playing in SH3 :yep:
To me it is full bugged… furthermore hard coded…so …

The biggest annoyance for me, is you can cheat the game with the WO announcements…never playing when a neutral is spotted!

:Kaleun_Salute:

Tabris 03-21-24 08:37 PM

so there is the "smoke on the horizon!" mod. It seems like a working example of this - i.e. a new sound effect playing for a game-event that doesn't have a sound effect or voice line in vanilla. How did Stiebler make this work? It isn't necessary for it to be a line actually spoken by the crew, I'd like to make the game play a sound of any sort when the RWR is pinged. Can it be done?