SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Switching to Windows 64-bit (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=178088)

Madox58 01-12-11 03:11 PM

When I owned and ran my ISP, We had a Game Server named Tsavo.
It was a dedicated Quake Server with our modifications on it.
The Main work Horse was Named Vanguard.
The accounts Server was named Payme.
:haha:

Victor Schutze 01-19-11 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frau kaleun (Post 1554974)
Hey all,

I am thinking about switching to the 64-bit OS provided I don't have to completely rebuild my 1 year old machine. Trying to figure out how much of what I have already would be compatible with the switch.

My processor is an AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core, the specs for it say "yes" for simultaneous 32- & 64-bit computing, I am assuming that means it will support a 64-bit OS?

If so, what else do I need to verify before I consider making the change? I know I'll need 64-bit drivers for "all devices" which I can check on easily when it comes to printers and external stuff and drives I guess but what other stuff in the innards of the beast do I need to check on?

Thanks for any help/advice!

frau kaleun,

have you managed to switch to win 7 64 from win xp 32n without loosing the careers you had in SHC?

I just switched from xp 32 to 7 64 and I saved all the SHC files, SH3 folder in 'My Documents'. I was wondering whether it was possible to re install the career I had under win xp in SH Commander under win 7 or do I have to start a new career?

frau kaleun 01-19-11 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Schutze (Post 1578040)
frau kaleun,

have you managed to switch to win 7 64 from win xp 32n without loosing the careers you had in SHC?

I just switched from xp 32 to 7 64 and I saved all the SHC files, SH3 folder in 'My Documents'. I was wondering whether it was possible to re install the career I had under win xp in SH Commander under win 7 or do I have to start a new career?

No, I didn't try to save my old careers. I only had one that was active and I'd already done enough patrols that the kaleun would've been close to the end of his time at the front anyway. Plus I knew I was gonna completely redo all my mods and I wanted to start fresh.

I know some people have been able to back up careers and restore them after a reinstall or a change of computers, but I don't know about a change of OS. I don't know why it wouldn't be possible, if the data is there and the game runs I would think it wouldn't be a problem. But I have no experience with doing it. Start a thread and ask, though, somebody here will probably know.

Victor Schutze 01-19-11 11:14 PM

Thank you frau kaleun:up: